Town of Somers


From "The History of Racine and Kenosha Counties" (Chicago: 1879), p. 557:
Somers
In Township 2, Range 22 east, with a population of nearly an hundred, and supplied with schools, a Methodist Church at Kellogg's Corners, another on Section 15, erected in 1863, and a Presbyterian Church at Leet's Corners, built in 1847. The township also supports two Granges of the Patrons of Husbandry, and is one of the most thrifty in Kenosha County.

From "The City of Kenosha and Kenosha County Wisconsin" by Frank H. Lyman, 1916, p. 320
Somers
This town commenced its settlement in the spring of 1835, chiefly at a point designated at the head of Pike Grove and by the following individuals: B. Flech, H. Longwell, Z. Montgomery, Griffin and William Allen; the two last named sold their claims and were succeeded the following year by Charles Leet and William Smith. In the southeast part of town Cephus Weed started a farm and upon Pike River Thomas Parsons built a sawmill, all in the year 1835.
The first school in the town was kept in the winter of 1836 on the farm of hugh Longwell, and was taught by Miss Brizee, afterward the wife of Doctor Munson.




Click here to go to
WIGenWeb AHGP

Return to Placenames Page