La Crosse Area Genealogical Society
October 28, 2008
Call to Order
The business meeting was called to order at 8:05 pm on October 28, 2008, by President Terry Micks after the program.
Secretary Joyce Krueger read the minutes of the September 23,2008 meeting. A motion was made and seconded to accept the Secretary’s report as corrected. The motion was approved.
Treasurer Allen Nelson read the Treasurer’s Report. The beginning balance on hand as of September 23, 2008 was $1,694.54 with receipts of $40.00 and disbursements of $235.92, leaving a balance on hand as of October 28, 2008 of $1,498.62. The Treasurer’s Report was approved.
- Anita Doering announced that the Archives is doing a trial of Footnote.com to see if it would be a good addition in 2009. After discussion of this website, Anita asked everyone to please try it out and give her some feedback at the next meeting.
- The La Crosse Public Library will become an affiliate library for LDS film. Since there will be a cost involved to get reels, they will be looking for donations to cover this.
- There is still time to get information into the next quarterly.
- It will contain notes from Terry Micks’ program on Organizing Your Genealogical Research from the September meeting.
- It should be out by next meeting.
- At the November 25, 2008 meeting Susan Douglas will talk about her genealogical trip to Pomerania. It will also be our Ethnic Treat Night.
- Possibilities for the February 2009 meeting: How to Preserve Photos, Determining Age of Photos, and Different Websites to Use.
- Roxanne has updated the quarterlies.
- When looking for cemetery photos on the website, look under “Tombstone Photos” on the index.
- The committee is making progress on the Beginners Brochure.
- Hopefully, there will be a Beginners Genealogy Workshop in spring or summer where the brochure will be used.
- The LAGS Executive Committee has decided not to raise dues for 2009.
- New members who pay before the new year will get an extra quarterly.
- A Nominating Committee will be established at the November 25th meeting, and Elections will be held at the February 24, 2009 meeting.
- On Sat., Nov. 8, 2008 there will be a benefit for Jonna Peterson at 7 p.m. at The Joint, 324 Jay St., La Crosse.
Jane Radloff presented the program on Documenting Your Resources. She presented a wide variety of situations with ways to document each one, and there was great discussion about this absolutely necessary part of genealogy. Thank you Jane!
The business portion of the meeting adjourned at 8:38 pm. Anita Doering brought Halloween treats for all, which were enjoyed between the program and the business meeting.