Search billions of records on

Benton Mining Times    
Transcribed and sent in by:
Monica Farrey Odani
M Odani

Dear Dori -   I've been researching my families in Grant & Lafayette Counties and reading old newspapers as well as census, vital records, etc.  Attached is a text file of interesting stuff gleaned from the Benton Mining Times (mid-late 1890s) for you to post to the Lafayette Co. webpage . It certainly gives a different perspective on small town life in the old days!    Monica Farrey Odani



v. 1, #21, Thursday, April 25, 1895

Leadmine, April 23. -- The prolonged drouth continues and farmers are beginning to feel slightly uneasy. It is certainly an uncommon occurrence to have such a long, dry spell at this time of the year, but for all that it has been favorable for clearing land and planting crops, and if rain comes soon, no particular damage will have been done.

Mr. Thomas Ewing, who has been ailing in health for some time, is at present writing seriously ill. The attending physicians are Drs. GRATIOT of Shullsburg and GODFREY of Galena. Mr. Ewing's sister Catherine, of Scales Mound, arrived at his bedside Sunday evening. His brother John was prevented from coming at once, owing to his wife's absence to attend her brother's funeral. To make matters still worse, it is reported that Benj. Ewing, a brother of Thomas Ewing, is dangerously ill in Nebraska, and may not recover. The doctors agree in locating the cause of T. Ewing's illness as Bright's disease of the kidneys. He had a severe attack of the same disease last winter, from which he had scarcely recovered ere he was stricken a second time. His many friends here, by all of whom he is highly esteemed, earnestly hope for his speedy recovery.

V. 1, #50, Thursday, November 14, 1895

Death of Thomas H. EWING

Mr. Thomas Ewing, aged about 52 years, died on Saturday, Nov. 9th, after a prolonged illness.   The funeral took place from the house on the following Tuesday at 2 o'clock, noon, proceeding from thence to the M.E. church at Benton, where the funeral services were held, after which interment was made in the M.E. cemetery. The funeral was conducted under the auspices of Leadville Lodge No. 168, I.O.O.F., of which Mr. Ewing has been a distinguished and honored member of high standing for many years. Gem of the Mines lodge of Benton, Justitia lodge of Shullsburg and Sinsinawa lodge of Hazel Green were well represented, there being, in all, nearly one hundred Odd Fellows in procession. The solemn and affectionate manner in which they performed their last sad rites over their highly esteemed and sincerely beloved brother was indicative of their fraternal affection. It was one of the largest funerals ever seen in this vicinity, the procession numbering nearly 200 vehicles.     The funeral sermon was preached by the Rev. BARNETT, pastor of the M.E. church at Benton, in a very touching and eloquent manner.

The deceased leaves a wife and seven children to mourn the loss of a devoted and loving husband and a kind and affectionate father, besides other relatives, who deeply deplore the loss of one who was ever near and dear to them. The large number of people in attendance at the funeral described better than words can possibly do, the high esteem in which the deceased was held by his multitude of friends and for the afflicted family and other relatives in their sad hour of bereavement tender words of sympathy are expressed by all.


Mr. Owen DUNN a septuagenarian, died at the home of his son, Mr. Michael Dunn, at Etna on Thursday the 7th inst. after a brief illness. The funeral took place from the house at 10 o'clock the following Saturday, proceeding from thence to the Catholic... (the rest of the obituary is missing from my copy)

v. 1, #51, Thursday, November 21, 1895

On Thursday, Nov. 14, Matthew PRESTON and Miss Fannie PERRY were married by Rev. TROY.

It is reported here that diphtheria is gaining ground at Hazel Green. Whether of a malignant form or not, we are not informed. It is a disease to be much dreaded, however, in any of its forms, and every possible effort should be put forth to prevent its spread.

v. 1, #52, Thursday, November 28, 1895

Henry WISEMAN has a very sore toe. Poor fellow! He missed the stick of wood and hit his toe. On account of this fall of snow a few cutters and sleighs are passing to and fro through our community.

V. 2, #6, Thursday, January 9, 1896

Michael SHEA, who died in Darlington, Dec. 19th, was 88 years old and had lived in Lafayette County for over 60 years.

Almond SCHEMERHORN, of South Wayne, was arrested and placed in jail last Thursday, for burglarizing BLACKBOURN's store at Dunbarton.

The death of Michael HINDS occurred Sunday morning at his home in Meekers Grove. The funeral took place on Tuesday from the Catholic church.

Mr. Oscar HEFFERNAN and Miss Etta BLADES of Cuba City were married at the residence of the bride's parents, on Wednesday evening, Jan. 8, by Rev. MATHERS.

Mr. William FAWCETT, of New Diggings, and Miss Annie HOWE were married Dec. 31st, Rev. William ATKINSON officiating, Mr. Joseph RAISBECK acting as best man and Miss Mamie WRIGHT as bridesmaid.

V. 2, #12, Thursday, February 20, 1896

About five o'clock last Friday evening as Ruby, daughter of Deputy Sheriff BLADES, was standing at the table preparing supper, a shot was heard and a bullet came crashing through the window, scattering glass all over the table and narrowly missed the girl. It is supposed to have been a stray bullet fired by some person carelessly while practising. People should be very careful when they are shooting, especially in a town.

Mr. Richard SHERWIN, of Benton, and Miss Kate McCORMICK, of Avoca, Wis., were married at St. Patrick's church, Monday morning at 7 a.m. by Father BERGEN, Mr. John TIMMINS and the groom's sister, Miss Jennie Sherwin, being the attendants.  After the ceremony the wedding party consisting of friends and relatives breakfasted at the home of the groom. Richard Sherwin is well known throughout Southwestern Wisconsin as a good industrious man, and is a shareholder in the Ida mining company of which he is secretary. The bride is a popular young lady of Avoca, and quite well known in this place. Mr. and Mrs. Sherwin are spending their honeymoon in St. Paul and points in Minnesota.

Mr. and Mrs. Jeff SHEA are the happy parents of a sweet little girl who took a place in their household last Monday.

V. 2, #16, Thursday, March 19, 1896

Belmont -- Alaska is all the talk here. Quite a number are going the 1st of May.   Anyone wanting to go will save money by going with the crowd and getting excursion rates.

v. 2, # 17, Thursday, March 26, 1896

Mr. George FAWCETT of New Diggings and Miss Katie HORSLEY of Benton were married at Hazel Green March 14th, the Rev. John CHALLINOR officiating. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Raisbeck Horsley and the groom is an industrious young farmer. Mr. Fawcett was in town the other day and ordered that most essential article to all well-regulated households -- The Mining Times. We wish them happiness and prosperity.

John O. CRAHALL, a brother of Joshua Crahall, of North New Diggings, who lives in San Francisco, Cal., met with an accident which caused his death on March 15th. He was riding a race horse at a minute and a half gait, when he collided with another horse and was thrown off, lighting on his head. A third horse fell upon him.   The other two riders escaped unhurt. Crahall died a few hours after the accident. The accident was wholly unavoidable.

DYNAMITE THROWN, George FAWCETT's Resident Badly Damaged by Charivari Gang

Albert EINSWIELLER, John STRAWBRIDGE, and Charles DUVAL are wanted by the officers of the law.   These three young men and Will TIPPING, all of whom live at Coon Branch, went to the home of David Fawcett, where George Fawcett, his son who was recently married is living, for the purpose of taking part in a charivari, on the night of the 17th of March.   Fawcett was not at home, and the quartette left the house, but shortly Einswieller and Strawbridge returned, and one of them threw a stick of dynamite which exploded about eight feet from the house. Ten panes of window glass and two lamps were  broken by the shock, and Mrs. Fawcett and the elderly people in the house were terribly frightened.

At first the perpetrators of the deed were not known, but the hurried departure of three of the boys from their homes gave a clue. Tipping did not go with them and was taken in custody, but was released on bail to appear as a witness.   Deputy Sheriff Alt BLADES located the other boys near Hazel Green Monday but reached there too late to capture them. They had been "batching it" for nearly a week in a deserted miner's cabin and had killed thirty or forty chickens and a lamb, belonging to farmers near by (sic), in their endeavor to keep the wolf from their door.   Tuesday, the boys were seen at Potosi, and Sheriff TERRELL and Deputy Sheriff Blades left here on the evening train for that place, after a consultation with District Attorney CAMPBELL, who was here in the afternoon.

V. 2, #20, Thursday, April 16, 1896

John PARKS, aged 82 years, died Saturday, and was buried Monday in Evergreen cemetery

In the Justice Court Albert EINSWEILLER, one of the three alleged dynamiters who fired dynamite at the residence of David FAWCETT in New Diggings, was captured at his home in Benton township, Tuesday, April 7th, by Deputy Sheriff BLADES and Constable George CARROLL, of this village. For two weeks the boys have given the officers the slip and hid in the hills along the Mississippi river. Einsweiller returned Tuesday and as soon as the deputy sheriff got wind of it he surrounded the house and captured his man.   The accused was brought before Justice McCAFFREY for preliminary examination, and the district attorney was telegraphed for. The prisoner being without counsel and unable to procure same, Attorney C.C. TOWNSEND volunteered to conduct the defense.   On motion of attorney for defense, the case was dismissed on account of a mistake in process. Einsweiller was immediately rearrested under the charge of participation in a riot, and the case was continued until next morning. Attorney J.T. HOGAN appeared for the State, and after the introduction of evidence on the part of the State, on motion to dismiss by the defense, the case was dismissed and prisoner discharged, there not being sufficient evidence to hold him to circuit court.

V. 2, #23, Thursday, May 7, 1896


Thomas HARKER, aged 72 years, died at his home in Shullsburg on Friday, April 24th, after a brief illness. Mr. Harker was formerly a resident of Leadmine, having removed to Shullsburg about two years ago. He leaves a wife and eight children to mourn the loss of a devoted husband and a kind and indulgent father. The children are all married except two -- Lillie and Thomas. The funeral took place from his home in Shullsburg at one o'clock on Sunday, and proceeded to the M.E. cemetery at Leadmine, where interment was made. Rev. ATKINSON, of Shullsburg, pastor of the Methodist church officiated. The whole community join in sympathizing with the afflicted family in this their sad hour.

V. 2, #28, Thursday, June 11, 1896

Benton now has four regular ball teams: The Stars, the Maroons, the Colts and the Orioles. Any one of them can do up anything of their class in the Mississippi Valley.    

A charter has been granted for the organization of a Masonic lodge in Benton.    This will be a great convenience for the members of this order here, who have had to go to Hazel Green or Shullsburg to attend meetings. The new lodge will start out with a membership of twenty or more.

Miss Jennie SHERWIN went to Galena Monday evening to attend the wedding of her friend Miss Fannie HERNIE, which occurred Tuesday morning.

V. 2, #49, Thursday, October 29, 1896

While Alexander and Edward DAY, brothers, both farmers living near Cassville, were driving home last Sunday, they quarreled and Edward shot and killed his brother.  They were both drunk.

The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. George FAWCETT died Monday night from hemorrhage. The little innocent was buried Wednesday afternoon. The parents have the sympathy of friends in their bereavement and loss of their first born.

V. 3, #2, Thursday, December 10, 1896

Miss Clara JEFFREY of White Oak and Mr. William PENALUNA of Scales Mound were married last week.  

Mr. Wm. FARRY who inflicted a severe wound on his left hand with an ax some time ago is still unable to perform his usual duties.

V. 3, #18, Thursday, April 1, 1897

The marriage of Mr. Harry HESLOP and Miss Alice KITTO both of this place, occurred yesterday.

Will TIPPING of Coon Branch has just returned from LeMars, Iowa.   Mr. T. has an interest in a mine at Leadville, Colo. But the big strike took place about the time he got there. He says he wasn't scared or anything, but feels safer in Coon Branch.

Mr. T. McCARTHY are the proud parents of a fine young daughter.

V. 3, #34, Thursday, July 15, 1897

PERILOUS VOYAGE, Down the River in a Wagon Box -- Etna and Leadmine News

Willie O'HARA, Sed. SHEFFER, John and Willie TRACY had a narrow escape in the flood Friday evening up on Spring Branch one half mile above where it runs into Shullsburg branch. They were all in a wagon and while attemting (sic) to cross, one of the tugs broke, and the swift curent (sic) turned the hind end of the wagon around, and before they could get out a tidal wave from Silverthorn rolled down upon them and floated the box and front bolster off. Will and Sed swam to the opposite shore and by catching onto some willows, succeded (sic) in saveing (sic) themselves, but the boys were less fortunate. Johnny, the oldest jumped out when the hind end of the box backed up to the bank when it first became uncoupled but Willie the smaller was so badly acared (sic) that he failed to get out. So when Johnny saw Willie could not get  out he jumped in and all went sailing down the current. When near John WOODS's place the boys were rescued by a man who hapened (sic) to be watching the flood.  Johnny said he couldn't see Willie go and be drowned, so he thought he would drown with him. The horses were rescued sixty yards below where they went in, after hard struggling. The box of the wagon was found in Ewing's swamp fastened to a wire on a post, and the hind wheels on the same land. The rest of the wagon was saved with the horses.   John EGLEHOFEN crossed just ahead of them on a horse, and they thought it safe but as Mr. HALES said, a tidal wave swept down upon them as stated.

V. 3, #40, Thursday, August 26, 1897

Marshal BLADES came down the street yesterday carrying a ladies' shoe which he found on Sandy beach. Hat pins, small wraps and many unmentionable articles have often been found there, and now a shoe! Alt says the owner can have it by calling for it, providing she proves property by trying it on.

John COLTMAN started Tuesday evening for Reading, California, where he will engage in gold mining. Mr. Coltman has been interested in extensive mining operations in this vicinity for many years part of the time meeting with rich success, and sometimes heavy losses. He is an energetic and highly esteemed citizen and his departure will be much regretted. Should he meet with success in the west he will move his family there.

V. 3, #41, Thursday, September 2, 1897

ELECTRIC STORM! Gibson's Barn Struck and Entirely Destroyed

A severe thunder storm passed over this vicinity during Tuesday night. A heavy rain continued for some time and sharp lightning and loud peals of thunder wakened the sleeping populace.   About 3:30 lightning struck GIBSON's large frame barn and it was soon a mass of flames. Two horses, two harnesses, a buggy and cart were taken out by Matt Gibson and George FAWCETT. The alarm was given but by the time assistance  arrived nothing could be done to save the barn or contents. By hard work the other outbuildings nearby were saved.   A strong wind was blowing the sparks and pieces of burning timbers in the direction of town, but the rain prevented them from setting fire.   The barn was valued at $500 with no insurance. The loss falls upon Mr. Gibson.   The place was rented by Geo. Fawcett who sustains the loss of machinery,  grain, etc. to the amount of $200. No insurance.   The residence of Sam TEASDALE in Seymour, was also struck by lightning, but escaped with little injury.

A brandnew (sic) baby girl made its appearence (sic) at the home of Axel MILLER Sunday morning.

V. 4, #7, Friday, January 7, 1898

Will FARRY was presented with a large baby boy for a Christmas gift, by his wife.

V. 4, #8, Friday, January 14, 1898

Frank RIELLY, residing north of Platteville, committed suicide on Saturday by hanging himself in his barn. He was about 35 years of age and had a wife and three children.

M.E. COLTMAN recently received a letter stating that his brother John, who went to California last fall, is ill with malarial fever. His many friends here hope for his speedy recovery.

V. 4, #20, Friday, April 8, 1898

A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. J.T. HUNTER last Monday.

V. 5, #15, Friday, March 17, 1899

In the Cradles

Born, to Mr. and Mrs. James BLACK, Sunday, March 12, 1899, a daughter.

Born, to Mr. and Mrs. Frank McKENNA, Friday, March 10, 1899, a son.

Mrs. J. COULTHARD received a letter from her brother in California. He reports the weather there as being like summer, with fruit trees all in bloom. The P.M. sociable which was to have been held at the residence of Joseph Coulthard was postponed on account of the bad condition of the roads. It will be held next Monday evening, if the weather is favorable.

V. 5. #22. Friday, May 5, 1899

Cards are out announcing the 25th anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. John HORSLEY, on Saturday, May 13th.

Darlington people are much frightened over the report that an alligator has been seen in the river there. They must drink benzine or the alligator couldn't have been seen.

Edward OSBORN, living near Cuba City, had $954 in a trunk at his home.   Monday forenoon some person entered the house and took the money. Most of the  money taken was in bills. The burglar has not been found. A considerable amount of  gold in the trunk was not disturbed.

Death of an Old Settler

Died, Wednesday, May 4th, at his home in Benton, Wis., Bernard FITZPATRICK, aged 81 years, after an illness of seven days.   Bernard Fitzpatrick was born in County Fermanagh, Ireland, in 1818, and came to America in 1851 and settled at Benton, Wis., the same year. In 1853, he married Hannah McGUIRE at Galena, Illinois. Four children were born to bless their home, all of whom but one survive both father and mother, the devoted wife and loving mother having passed away in February of the present year. For many years he engaged in mining in and around Benton.   Barney Fitz, as he was known familiarly among his many acquaintances, was a  man of genial disposition, and a man who loved his home and his neighbors. He is well known throughout Southwestern Wisconsin through a remedy he made for treating persons afflicted with caner.   Three children survive him: Mrs. Mary GLEASON, of New Diggings, Wis. Mrs. Nellie McDONALD, of Eau Claire, Wis., and Miss Belle  FITZPATRICK, of Benton. A son, Bernard, died a number of years ago.   The funeral services will be held at St. Patrick's church on Saturday.

V. 5, #31, July 17, 1899

Sed SHAFFER lost one of his horses this week. Mr. Shaffer had come in from Etna to visit Mr. and Mrs. R. HORSLEY, and his team strayed onto the railroad track after being unharnessed. The evening passenger train came along and one of the frightened horses ran into a cattle guard and broke one its legs (sic). The train was brought to a standstill and the engineer got down from the engine and shot the suffering animal. The other horse was considerably injured.

John TRACEY, jr., of Leadmine, was badly injured last Wednesday morning while on his way home from Cuba. Young Tracey and two or three companions were riding horses and when they approached the macademized road near the M.E. church in Benton, the horse Tracey was riding stumbled and the young man was thrown to the ground with such force as to break his lower jaw in two places. Dr. E.H. COOK set he jaw and the young man is getting along as well as can be expected for one who had received so painful an injury as the breaking of jaw. The young man's companions claim that the horse stumbled on the macademized road which is claimed to have been left in an unfinished condition. Some persons who examined the road the next morning claim that it bore evidence of a horse race. How much of the many reports going around is a matter of conjecture, The Times is unable to say, for all the reports cannot be correct.

Death of James MILLER

Mr. James MILLER, an aged and highly respected citizen of Hazel Green, died Friday, June 30, 1899, at his home at Twelve Mile. Deceased had been poorly for some months caused by a paralytic stroke, and his death was the result of a second attack. He was born in Thwaite, Swaledale, Yorkshire, England, in 1825, came to this country in 1849 and located at Benton. In 1855 he was united in marriage to Miss Sarah GREENWOOD, and eleven children blessed their union -- two ... (The rest of the obituary is missing from my copy)

V. 5, #38, Friday, August 18, 1899

Mr. and Mrs. A.W. HICKS attended the wedding of John LEEKLEY of Galena, and Miss Carrie NEWMAN, at the home of the bride in Milbrig, Thursday night.  

....(part of an article about George Gelling) for the rifle and just as he took it from  HOSKIN's hands the rifle caught on something and was discharged, the ball entering one side and going nearly through the body of Gelling. Aid was at once summoned and it seemed as though the wound would not prove fatal, for he was conscious and cheerful up to the time of his death, which came suddenly about two hours after the accident.   The parents of the deceased, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Gelling are dead, the mother dying about six years ago and the father one year ago. George Gelling was boy (sic) who had many friends and young companions.  The remains will buried (sic) in Benton tomorrow (Saturdya-sic) forenoon, carried to the grave by his playmates. The funeral services, will be conducted by Rev. M.C. BAKER  at the P.M. church.


Miss Elizabeth Rella SPENSLEY, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Spensley, of New Diggings, was born Sept. 7, 1888, and died Aug. 14, 1899, aged 10 years, 11 months and 7 days. Rella, for that was the home name, though young in years, was a very thoughtful child, retiring iu (sic) disposition, yet kind and affectionate -- a favorite with all. Last winter with 27 others, she united with the P.M. church, and was faithful in her attendance and attention to duty. She was sick but a few days. All that love and medical skill could do was done to prolong life, but the disease (diabetes) prevailed and her young life was cut short. The funeral was held Wednesday at the P.M. church which was beautifully decorated. Rev. M.C. BAKER, her pastor, officiated. Her remains were laid to rest in the beautiful cemetery followed by a large number of sympathizing friends. The sympathy of the entire community is with the sorrow stricken family.

V. 5, #39, Friday, August 25, 1899

Mr. and Mrs. George WEIGEL are visiting at Darlington and seeing the sights at the county fair.  

Prof. John H. THOMPSON, of Belmont, and Miss Mabel JONES, will be married at the home of the bride in Georgetown, Thursday, August 31, 1899.  

Married at Shullsburg, Wednesday, August 16, 1899, Miss Hettie LOWREY and Mr. Hebert ALDERSON, both of this place. May a long and happy life attend them is the wish of the writer.  

George Francis GELLING, oldest child of Frank and Margaret Gelling, was born in Benton, Sept. 6, 1884, and died at Darlington, Aug. 17, 1899, aged 14 years, 11 months and 11 days, death resulting from a wound.... (rest of paragraph is missing from my copy)

V. 5, #40, Friday, September 1, 1899

Ninety-five degrees this week

George REDFEARN, an old settler of New Diggings, died in that village Monday.  

Mary Ann KISTING, sister of Bernard and Dietrick Kisting, died last Saturday night at the home of the latter. Deceased was aged 17 years, and had been feeble and helpless for a long time., The remains were buried in St. Patrick's Catholic cemetery on Wednesday.

Charley SAVARY, of Dubuque, a young man well known in Benton, was shot in the leg by Policemen (sic) CARTER at Dubuque last Monday. Savary was engaged in a fight and run (sic) when he saw the officers coming.  Policeman Carter ordered him to halt, but he continued runing (sic) and the officer shot him. Savary was taken to the calaboose and later to Mercy hospital. He was not severely injured and was on the street the next day.

V. 5, #41, Friday, September 8, 1899

Death of an Old Settler

Died, Tuesday afternoon, Sept. 5, 1899, aged 78 years, Mrs. Katherine GROTKIN, wife of John Grotkin, sr.   Katherine PEAPEL was born in Hanover, Germany, in 1821, and came to America in 1851, and was married to John Grotkin in the same year by Rev. Father Samuel MAZZUCHELLI, rector St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Benton. For over forty years Mr. and Mrs. Grotkin lived on a farm near Benton, and a few years ago they moved to this place.   Mrs. Grotkin was a pleasant woman, a neighbor whose death is mourned by neighbors, friends and acquaintances.   Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Grotkin: John, Henry, Mary, Herman, living in Benton township, and Benjiman, Joseph and Frank who passed away before their devoted mother. Deceased has one sister living, Mrs. Henry SCRUDDER, of Kieler, Wis.   The sympathy for the aged husband and children and the esteem in which the wife and mother was held was shown by the large number who followed the remains of their neighbor and friend to the grave.   Funeral services were held on Thursday at St. Patrick's Catholic church, Rev.  Father, J.C. BERGEN officiating.

V. 5, #46, Friday, October 13, 1899

Burglars Captured

The Leadmine burglary mystery has been revealed.   The facts in the case are as follows:   Sept. 20 -- Store of John BUXTON and saloon of John PRESTON of Leadmine  were burglarized. Goods amounting to $200 were taken from Mr. Buxton, and a lot stamps and pennies were taken from the postoffice in the Buxton building.

Sept. 22 -- Deputy Sheriff BLADES and Sheriff TURNER were called to Leadmine, the scene of burglary. These officers made a search during day and night for the burglars

Sept. 23 -- Sheriff Turner and Deputy Sheriff Blades arrested Alex EINSWILER at his home in Coon Branch and took him to Darlington that afternoon.

Sept. 23 -- Einswiler was taken before Justice Frak HIGGINS. Case was adjourned till Monday.

Oct. 2 -- Lorin DUNBAR, of White Oak Springs, was suspected of knowing something about the burglary and Sheriff Turner had him arrested by Marshal McBRIDE at Scales Mound, Illinois. Dunbar refused to come to this state without a requisition.

Oct. 4 -- John MURPHY, of New Diggings, came to Benton and told Deputy Sheriff Blades that he believed Dunbar was the man who burglarized Murphy's saloon at New Diggings on the night of Oct. 1. Deputy Sheriff Blades was sick and unable to work on the case, but he notified Sheriff Turner and District Attorney CONLEY and they succeeded in getting the stolen overcoat. Afterwards they went to Galena and Dunbar consented to come to Wisconsin without a requisition, and he was taken to the Darlington jail.

Oct. 7 -- Deputy Sheriff Blades found part of Buxton's goods and a large amount of money and stamps and money from the postoffice in an oat bin at the resi-..... Note: the rest of the column is missing from my copy and the outcome unknown to me.

V. 5, #52, Friday, November 24, 1899

Born, November 18, 1899, to Mr. and Mrs. John DRISCOLL, of Leadmine, a daughter.

Born, November 17, 1899, to Mr. and Mrs. John FARREY, of Leadmine, a son.

V. 6, #12, Friday, February 16, 1900

Born to Mr. and Mrs. J.R. EGAN, of Highland, Tuesday, Feb. 6, 1900, a ten-pound son. Mrs. Egan was formerly Miss Kate Egan of New Diggings.

While William JAMIESON and Henry AHERN were working in the Galena level mine Wednesday night of last week, the big rain storm caused the water to raise in Shullsburg branch so high that it backed up in to the level to such an extent that the men were unable to make their way out. They remained in the mine until the next day, when they got out, none the worse for their imprisonment. Shullsburg Pick and Gad.

Death of James Neenan

After an illness of several months, Mr. James NEENAN gave up the struggle against death and departed this life at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday. For several days, the anxious watchers at this bedside knew that the end was near and that the aged man would soon be beyond suffering.   Mr. Neenan was born in Ireland, in the year 1822 and came to America in 1845.  In 1858 he was married to Mary McKENNA in the St. Patrick's Catholic church, at Benton. They settled in Benton and Mr. Neenan engaged in mining. In 1891 They moved to a home in the village.   Deceased leaves a wife and six children to mourn his departure, a son Daniel, having preceded his father to the grave. The six living children are, John, Mrs. Thomas FARREY, Nellie, Michael and Birdie.   The funeral was held at 10 o'clock today. Rev. Father J.C. BERGEN performed the last rites over the body. High mass was celebrated. The pall bearers were, Michael DUNN, Horace WINSKELL, Joshua BLADES, John ROBSON, Martin  COLTMAN, John KEARNS, John TIMMINS, Joe CAREY, James McCARNEY, Raisbeck HORSLEY, William CALVERT, jr. and Richard SHERWIN. The remains were interred in the Catholic cemetery.

V. 6, #16, Friday, March 16, 1900

A Sudden Death

Died, Monday, March 12, 1900, at 11:30 p.m., Rev. D.J. WHITING, of typhoid pneumonia and congestion of the stomach and bowels, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. M.E. COLTMAN.   Four weeks ago, Mrs. D.J. Whiting, of Hancock, Wis., came to Benton to make her home with her daughter, Mrs. M.E. Coltman. Rev. Whiting remained at Hancock two weeks before joining his wife here. The good wife and the devoted husband looked forth to a future of peace and happiness, surrounded by daughter, son-in-law, and grandchildren.   Physical life is uncertain, and death often shatters the overflowing cup of happiness by appearing at an unexpected time.   A (sic) illness of six days, and happiness had fled and sorrow had entered the  home. Father was cold in death.   Rev. Whiting had many friends in Benton. He was a kind man and a lover of home. For forty years he was a preacher of the gospel in the Methodist Episcopal church. His brother preachers loved him for his untiring efforts to help mankind, his friends loved him for his spirit of goodness. The burial took place Thursday, the funeral procession proceeding from the house to the M.E. Church. Revs. S.W. TRUSDALE, of Platteville, D. SINCLAIR, of Hazel Green, R. PENGILLY, of Fennimore, and W. ROWE, of Shullsburg, assisted Rev. SHEPHARD, of Benton, in performing the religious ceremonies over the body.  The above named ministers together with Mr. BROWN of Belmont, officated as pall bearers. The remains were interred in the M.E. cemetery.  

David J. Whiting was born in Scottsburg, N.Y., Sept. 16, 1834, was married to Miss Matilda STANTON at Elmyria, N.Y., in 1857. He preached in the east for a number of years and came west for the benefit of his health. He became pastor of the M.E. church, at Benton in 1980, afterwards preaching at Fennimore, Wis., and Hancock, Wis.   Mr. Whiting is survived by a devoted wife and a daughter, Mrs. M.E. Coltman, of Benton.

V. 6, #17, Friday, March 23, 1900

Death of an Old Settler

Mrs. William KITTOE, whose maiden name was Mary JOHNS, was born at St. Ruan Minor, Cornwall, England, Feb. 24, 1826, and died March 18, 1900, her age being 74 years and 22 days.   In the year 1845, at the age of 19, she was united in marriage to William Kittoe at the Grade Parish church, Cornwall, England, and came to this country three years later, settling at Hazel Green, Wis., where her husband who had been here one year was engaged in mining. They resided at Hazel Green until 1854, when they removed to their farm in this township, where the greater part of her active life was spent. Eight years ago, she, with her husband and their two youngest children, came to this village and purchased a home, having retired from farm life.   She was the mother of twelve children, six sons and six daughters, eight of whom survive, the others dying in infancy.   Mrs. Kittoe will be remembered by her acquaintances for her cheerful, sunny   disposition; by her more intimate friends, both young and old, as a true confiding friend;  and by her children as posessing (sic) that noble and most truly valuable attribute of  woman, a true and loving mother.   She was not connected with any church here, but was a member of the Church of England during her life in her native country. She was a true Christian not by words alone, but rather by deeds of loving kindness and yearning for the welfare of all that is good.   The funeral took place Wednesday, and was largly (sic) attended. Interment was made in the M.E. cemetery, Rev. Wm. SHEPHARD conducting the services.

V. 6, #33, July 27, 1900

FRACTURED THREE RIBS, Thomas FARREY Kicked by a Horse and was Severely Injured

Thomas FARREY, treasurer of the town of Benton, was kicked in the side by a horse last Saturday and three of his ribs were fractured and he was otherwise bruised.   Dr. F.M. BAIR of Benton, who is the attending pysician, states that our genial Tommy is getting along well.

v. 6, #43, Friday, November 2, 1900

The Cuba City bank, formerly conducted by HENDRICKS & HENDRICKS, is now known as the First National Bank of Cuba City, and now has a capital stock of $25,000.  William and Leonard RAISBECK, of Benton, are among the stockholders. Mat Hendricks, casheir (sic) of the old bank, holds the same position in the new, and William THOMAS, of Hazel Green, is president.

V. 6, #44, Friday, November 9, 1900

William RAISBECK moved to Dubuque this week. Mr. Raisbeck hascontemplated a change in residence for some time, and remained here this long in order to vote. He feels that the schools and colleges of Dubuque offer great advantages for the education of his sons and daughters, and moves there rather than have the family separated by sending the children to school away from home. Mr. Raisbeck is a prominent mine owner, the Raisbeck mine being one of the largest in this district, and he is a member of the school board and the village board of trustees. Mr. and Mrs. Raisbeck and family will be greatly missed in social and church circles.

The five-months-old child of Mr. and Mrs. Sed SHAFFER, died Wednesday night of last week, of cholera infantum, and was buried Friday afternoon at the P.M. Church.  It is awful to think of death, but God knows best, and what peace and joy it will bring your sorrowful heart when you can say, "Thy will, not mine, be done." Oh, how we need patience in affliction.

Return to Newspapers

Lafayette County Homepage

County Coordinator  Dori Leekley

Comments & Suggestions

© 1997-1999 Dori Leekley

All materials contained on these pages are furnished for your viewing pleasure only! Any commercial use, without the consent of the host/author of these pages is prohibited.