History of La Fayette County, Wisconsin 1881
CITY OF DARLINGTON
DARLINGTON LITERARY CLUB
SOCIETIES, LODGES, ETC.
Darlington Mills, among the largest and most extensive undertakings of the kind in La Fayette County, have been in successful operation for thirty years. Ground for the foundation of these mills was broken July 1, 1851, under the direction of S. W. Osborn, the present Postmaster of Darlington, acting for and on behalf of J. M. Keep and A. K. Lynde, composing the firm of Keep & Lynde. the work was prosecuted vigorously, and in November of the same year in which the foundations were laid, the walls had been run up and the premises roofed. The building is of stone, three stories high, originally 40X60, run by water power, and cost, complete, a total of $20,000. In 1869, the foundations of the building became weakened through the agency of crawfish, it is supposed, and were taken down to prevent a possible calamity in the uncertain future. a fram building was immediately erected upon the site of the razed premises, and the original dimensions, as also capacity, thus maintained, and still serve their object to-day.
Messrs. Keep & Lynde managed the enterprise for about one year, when they sold out to Orton & Gardner, who increased the mills' capacity by an additional run of buhrs, and remained in possession until 1855, or about that time, when a sale was perfected of the property to S. & A. Warden. They also improved the purchase, and expended considerable sums in perfecting suchimprovement. In 1862, s. Warden purchased the interest of his brother in the venture, and conducted the business alone for several years. In about 1870, Mr. Warden made sale of the mill to E. C. Ferrin, by whom one-half of the investment was sold to Alden Pratt in 1872, and solved the partnership, and the assets of that firm, which included the mill, were sold to H. H. Cook & Co., by whom the business is at present controlled.
The mill is located on the Pecatonica River, at the foot of Ann street, easy of access to customers, and contiguous to the depot of the Mineral Point Railway. Its capacity is represented throughout this portion of the State, as also in the adjacent counties of Illinois and Iowa. In addition to the mill cachinery, the owners furnish immense quantities of chop-feed to consumers and dealers in La Fayette and neighboring counties.
Catholic Cemetery.---About eighteen years ago, the Catholic congregation of Darlington, desiring a suitable place for the burial of the dead of their denomination, purchased the plat of ground, containing four acres, now used for that purpose. This cemetery is a beautiful upland spot, about a mile north from the business center of the town, overlooking the village. There are few spots devoted to such purposes more lovely than this, and none in the village that could be so readily beautified by the hand of man. The grounds have been appropriately laid out and carefully guarded.
Union Grove Cemetery.---In Monday, March 7, 1853, the inhabitants of the town of Center held a meeting held a meeting at the schoolhouse in the village of Avon, to take into consideration the propriety of organizing a cemetery association and procuring a suitable location for a buryingground. at this meeting, the committee, consisting of J. Hamilton, E. W. Denison, James Tobley, S.W. Osborn and C. Z. Cutting, was appointed to select suitable grounds for the purpose of the association. another meeting was held April 19, 1853, and resulted in instituting the "Union Grove Cemetery Association," with the following board of Trustees appointed: C. Z. Cutting, James Martin, R. H. Thurbur, term one year; A. W. Hovey, E. W. Denison, J. L. Pierce, term two years; James Tolley, S. W. Osborn, George Hirst, three years. The association purchased the present site of ten acres, located about three-quarters of a mile southwest of Darlington. The first interment recorded here was a child of William Forbes, who died in 1854. The grounds and improvements are valued at $6,000. The Board of Trustees for the current term are; S. W. Osborn, D. Schreiter, S. S. Allan, J. Driver, S. A. Ferrin, J. G. Knight, James Martin, P. A. Orton and H. S. Magoon.
PRODUCE AND LIVE STOCK
County Coordinator Dori Leekley
Comments & Suggestions
© 1997-1999 Dori Leekley
All materials contained on these pages are furnished for your viewing pleasure only! Any commercial use, without the consent of the host/author of these pages is prohibited.