The mainly one-room schoolhouses represented on these pages are correct as of the early portions of the 20th century. We welcome additional information and class photographs from patrons and students of those schools. Anyone with additions or corrections to this list is asked to contact the Langlade County Historical Society Museum at (715) 627-4464 or e-mail at
email@example.com. These pages will be updated frequently.
VALLEY: Regarded as one of the oldest settlements in anglade County, the first
school was erected here in 1884 with Mary Kiefer and Miss Brandow as early
teachers. The structure, which received an addition a few years later, featured
a small stove, a few black boards and rough floors and benches. Teacher salaries
averaged $25 per month.
The district was organized in 1886, although schools of one sort or another
existed there far earlier. The first school was a rough frame structure erected
in 1886 with Susan Watson as teacher. The school was later moved to land owned
by John Bahr Sr., a pioneer settler, and was replaced prior to 1922 by a brick
Named after the. American poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, the first school was
built in 1878 with Michael Hafher as teacher. The first frame school was erected
at the site in 1880 and a brick structure erected at a cost of $1,800 in 1910.
CLAIRE: The farm home of Albert Reggotski offered the first school in the Eau
Claire District. Phillip Aird was instructor. It was replaced soon after by a
school located on the banks of the Eau Claire River. In 1910, the final school
was built at a cost of $1,800.
Located in the northern __ ‑ of Ackley, the Marsh district was the largest
school district in the township. It was organized in 1886 and the first school
was a log cabin with 12 students under the instruction of John Kennedy. A frame
school was built and used until 1906, when a brick school house was built and
the old building used as a woodshed.
A fairly new district, organized by order of the State Superintendent of Schools
C.P. Cary in 1906. Demand for a school was high since the area was settled by
workers at the Heinemann lumber village.
officers of the district were W.B. Heinemann, treasurer, Charles Bruce,
director, and Fred Hoffinann, clerk.