|The mainly one-room schoolhouses represented on these pages are correct as of the early portions of the 20th century. We welcome additional information and class photographs from patrons and students of those schools. Anyone with additions or corrections to this list is asked to contact the Langlade County Historical Society Museum at (715) 627-4464 or e-mail at
email@example.com. These pages will be updated frequently. |
CALLSEN: In 1886, a log cabin was erected at the quarter post of section 29 and 32. Ten children attended from the Haasman, Callsen and Rosbach families and were taught by Lizzie Giese. Seven years later the log building gave way to the first frame school, erected in 1893. Emma Castellion was the first teacher in charge. In October, 1916 the frame school was destroyed by fire and the children were housed temporarily in a log building. School opened in 1917 in a modern $5,600 brick school erected by the Frazer Lumber Company of Appleton. Early teachers were Anna Jensen, Alice Huntington, Martha Marsilliot, Jesse Waste, Blanche Kilkelly, Florence Bunton and Jeannie Lang.
SLEEPY HOLLOW: The first school in the district was a log cabin erected on the Robert Cummings property. Emma Dore was the first teacher and six pupils were in attendance. The log building served for years and was finally replaced by a frame structure
OLDNEW SUNNY SLOPE: The district received its lovely name from the picturesque slope on which the school was located. The first school was constructed in 1889. Meanwhile Albert Leistikow sold the school district a building for school purposes and an acre of ground was secured from Stephen Simons at a cost of $5. The school was 16 x 20 feet and had a floor of rough pine lumber. It was ready for use in 1889. In 1898 a second log school was built on land leased from George Zagel, who received $27 for clearing it. A 22 x 32 foot school was built here by Stephen Simon at a cost of $300. It was used until a modern school of red brick was built by C.D. Clark at a cost of $4,400. He was awarded the contract March 5, 1917.
ROCKY GLEN: This district was established in 1899, 10 years after the first log school was erected. It was a 16 x 20 foot cabin built by Karl Hammer and was located on land leased from Charles Schadewald. The school ground was cleared by Joseph Hufnagel. G.T. Conant, the first teacher, received a $30 per month salary. In 1902 John King erected a frame school at a cost of $800. The building was 26 x 36 feet and 12 feet high. The old log school was then sold July 21, 1902 to J. King for $1.55.
PARRISH: This district was located in the heart of one of the great lumbering regions of pioneer days. It received its name in honor of Judge J.K. Parrish of the 10th Wisconsin Judicial Circuit of 1889. The first school was erected in 1890 and was a frame building. Instructor was Miss Ruschlow and early pupils included Margaret De Horn and Annie Kulil. A brick school was built over 30 years after the creation of the first school district and was one of the best in the county. Teachers included Ethel Gallop, principal, Gerda Tiller and Elna Augustead.