This page has stories and pictures from Tomahawk. The first part is from e-mails sent to me by Dawn, ENDOS@aol.com
TOMAHAWK - A description:
In the northern part of Lincoln County, at the confluence of four rivers, the Wisconsin, the Tomahawk, the Somo and the Spirit, may be found the thrifty little city of Tomahawk. Few towns of equal size have better railroad facilities. Its main artery is the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul, then follows the Marinette, Tomahawk & Western, which connects with the Soo line, the Chicago & Northwestern and the Wisconsin Central. By reason of its magnificent and almost unlimited water power, several large manufacturing institutions have been erected, including two excellent paper mills.
Among other advantages enjoyed are electric lights, water works and sewer system, owned by the municipality, wide streets, good schools and churches, two banks, two good newspapers, several good hotels-one of which, the Mitchell, cost $50,000; fine driveways, excellent roads and a splendid surrounding country. On the north and west the Wisconsin River winds gracefully around the city. On the south and east the immediate country is somewhat broken. Prospect Hill, covered with pines and extending cape-like into Tomahawk Lake, is an extremely picturesque point in the surroundings. The lake and river is dotted with wooded islands, lending a charm to the landscape. The social life of the town is excellent, and of the best and most wholesome American type
The commercial and manufacturing interests of the city have been built up chiefly on the lumber trade. But of late years the saw mills have been supplemented to some extent by the wood working establishments that employ a large force of men, and is one of the factors in the development of this section of the country. As the lands in all directions are being converted into farms, the new settler finds a ready income from the small timber remaining on the land that he can convert easily and quickly into ready cash. This is true to a great extent of all the unoccupied timber lands of the Valley. Much of this new land which formerly contained an excellent forest of basswood, hemlock and birch, can be bought at from five to ten dollars per acre, and there is no better soil in the state. And to these things we might add the fact, that within the near limits of the city is a very large horsepower of undeveloped water power, that within a radius of a few miles are some eight rivers and twenty lakes that will all do much in the years to come to add wealth to the city. There are also untouched hardwood forests of millions of feet almost within sight of the city.
Tomahawk, with its excellent transportation facilities and its adjacent wealth of inexhaustible material, appeals to the homeseeker. Probably the most alluring promises comes from the unsubdued acres of rich dairy country that abound in every direction. The character of the men whom these lands have already attracted give assurance to the stranger that this will be the center of not only a manufacturing interest, but will develop into an excellent dairy and stock country in the near future.
Population Lincoln County 1875 = 895
In 1874 Gov. Wm. Taylor decreed that Lincoln County be established.March 4, 1874, Lincoln County contained Iron, Vilas, Price, Oneida, Lincoln and Langlade Counties. Total land area 2,750,000 acres.When Lincoln County was formed from the above Counties, it was attached to Marathon County for Judicial purposes. However a clamor arose for Lincoln County to have its OWN judge, and on April, 6, 1875, F. C. Weed was elected the first county judge.
All areas in Lincoln County were known as the Town of Jenny but in time the boundaries became the present town of Merrill when the town of Jenny became the City of Merrill, Wisconsin.The first new towns of Pine River, Corning, and Rock Falls (Originally Skanawan) were established in 1876.In 1881, came the town of Scott.Russell was formed in 1885.Harrison came into being in 1889. The town of Tomahawk was created in 1898 from a portion of Rock Falls. King was established around the turn of the century. On Nov. 19, 1902, the town of Birch was established. Bradley and Somo were set off from parts of tomahawk in 1903 and 1905 respectively.Also, in 1903, portions of Pine River and Russell were detached to form the town of Schley.Wilson was set off from a section of Somo in 1912 and Skanawan from King at the same time.The last township to be set up was Harding, which was taken from the town of Scott.These are the political configurations of today.
This is a list of Tomahawk High School Seniors from the class of 1929
Rowing not drifting.
Cardinal and Silver
American Beauty Rose
TOMAHAWK IRON WORKS. - 1907
This substantial industry was established in 1890 by the late W. H. Bradley
and in June, l906, was purchased by William Drever and J. H. Knaggs, since
which time it has been greatly enlarged and much modern machinery installed.
This Company manufactures new machinery of different kinds, but specialize in
various lines, such as locomotive, car and mill repairs, steam fitting,
structural steel, foundry and boiler shop work. A number of sawmill refuse
burners and many towering smoke stacks, in this northern section, were
erected by this Company, who employ about 30 mechanics the year round.
William Drever, President and Treasurer of the Company, came to Tomahawk
eighteen years ago and has been in the machine shop business for more than 30
years. He is a master mechanic from choice, necessity and force of habit. His
services have won an excellent reputation for the Company in the saw and
paper mill industry in this section and his list of acquaintances covers a
J. H.. Knaggs, Vice President, came to Tomahawk eight years ago. He is a
practical boiler maker of 30 years experience and on account of his ability
has established an enviable reputation among the many competitors of the
Company. He is thoroughly familiar with every department of the boiler
business and has probably superintended the erection of more smoke stacks,
refuse burners and steel structural work, than any other man plying his trade
in this northern section.
This Company have worked up an excellent trade which extends to the northern
border of the state as well as for 60 or 70 miles west along the Soo Line and
some distance south among their competitors. They not only make a specialty
of repairing and overhauling locomotives but buy and sell the same.
Tomahawk is indeed fortunate in having an institution of so permanent and
substantial standing. This plant is not located here for a day or a year for
these men believe in Tomahawk and its future; they are here to stay and to
add to their already increasing business as necessity demands.
TOMAHAWK BOX COMPANY. - 1907
The Tomahawk Box Company commenced business in July, 1906, with W. G. Foss
President and General Manager, and G. A. Foss Secretary and Treasurer. This
Company employs forty-five men the year round, and cut up six million feet of
lumber, consisting of hardwood, pine and hemlock per year. Their machinery is
strictly up-to-date and first class in every respect. There is nothing done
by hand that can possibly be done by machinery; especially is this true of
the nailing of the boxes, as they use one of the largest size nailing
machines with twenty-four hammers, driving more than one hundred nails a
minute. They use a printing machine twenty-six inches wide, printing two
colors on one hundred pieces a minute.
Mr. W. G. Foss has been an active lumberman for more than thirty years, and
for fifteen years a citizen of Tomahawk. The product of this manufacturing
plant is shipped east as far as New Jersey, and as far south as Missouri. It
is one of the best and most useful manufacturing plants of Tomahawk, and is
doing much to give employment to many citizens. Its proprietors are
progressive, energetic men who believe in Tomahawk and its future.
LUMBERMAN, MERCHANT AND FARMER. - JOHN OELHAFEN
John Oelhafen, a prominent and influential citizen of Tomahawk, Lincoln
County, is a native of Bavaria, Germany, born January 22, 1836, a son of
John Oelhafen, the subject proper of this sketch came to America with his
parents when eight years of age, and his childhood days were spent on the
farm, his primary education being received in the village schools. He
remained on the farm, assisting his father until he reached his majority.
Although at the age of seventeen he commenced working in the pineries, giving
his earnings to his father to help in the support of the family. In
September, 1861, he was united in marriage with Anna S. Miller, who came to
America alone at the age of seventeen. To this union were born six children,
viz.: Anna E., Andrew, J. W., Mary E., Wm. and Anna L. After their marriage,
Mr. Oelhafen and his wife removed to a farm in Washington County, where they
remained for about two years. Mr. Oelhafen then sold his interest in the farm
and removed to Milwaukee, where he opened a general store, remaining there
some ten years. In 1872 he removed to Wausau, at which place he opened a
general store, and also engaged in the lumbering business, both in Wausau and
Milbank, S. Dakota, where he held large interests in farm lands and city
property. In July, 1887, he erected the first building in Tomahawk, Lincoln
County, before the days of railroads in that section of the country. At
Tomahawk he again opened a department store and also continued in the lumber
business, which he still carries on, being assisted by his three sons.
Andrew, having charge of the lumber business; J. W. in charge of the
mercantile business, and Wm. having charge of the cedar yards.
Mr. Oelhafen has invested heavily but profitably in pine and farm lands all
through the northern part of the state. He owns a very handsome residence in
Tomahawk, and has always been an enterprising and influential citizen. Of the
many lumber companies that have done their full part in cutting away the
great forests of the North, John Oelhafen has done his. Mr. Oelhafen has been
in the lumber business for the past thirty years, and is now employing over
two hundred men, with standing timber in the forest sufficient to run for
more than ten years longer. His timber consists of hardwood, pine and
hemlock. Oelhafen mill is now cutting fifteen million per year. Logs are
brought in by rail and water. The mill is kept busy day and night in winter
and day times during the summer. Mr. Oelhafen is not only a merchant and
lumberman of many years experience, but is also the owner of the largest farm
in Lincoln County, consisting of 800 acres, all fenced and 260 acres under
the plow, and thoroughly stumped and stocked with blooded cattle. He is also
a prominent stockholder and director of the Bradley Bank in the city of
Tomahawk, and is one of the early pioneers who helped to break the wilderness
in the Wisconsin Valley. He is doing his part to make Tomahawk the hustling,
progressive little city that she is.
A MAN WHO DOES THINGS. - R. C. THEILMAN
R. C. Thielman is one of the most loyal and patriotic citizens of Tomahawk.
In these qualities he is second to none. On no occasion is this spirit
allowed to slumber, for at the least opportunity it makes itself manifest.
Mr. Thielman came to Tomahawk in 1897 and has been in the meat business for
twenty years. In 1890 he engaged in the lumbering business, and is the owner
of a large tract of standing timber. He is logging for the Bradley Company,
and will cut eight million feet for this company the coming year. He is now
running three logging camps, employing over two hundred men, and is badly in
need of and anxious to employ another hundred. The timber is principally
hemlock and hardwood, and is brought in principally by the railroad. There is
still within fifteen or twenty miles of Tomahawk a solid township of timber.
It is estimated that for twenty years the logging and lumbering industry will
be prominent in and around Tomahawk. The cut-over land is selling at from
five to ten dollars an acre, and no better soil for dairy purposes can be
found in the state. Mr. Thielman owns several hundred acres inside the city
limits and has platted two additions to the city. He has been mayor of
Tomahawk for five terms, and the city has prospered under his leadership.
In each of his official positions he has given earnest and intelligent
service, and upon his official record there is not a blot. He is of that
class of citizens who build up cities and then make them known on the map,
and his fellow citizens realize his value as a permanent, prominent,
progressive citizen. If the reader wants a few days of recreation that
recreates he can find some of the best fishing in the state in close
connection with Mr. Thielman's camp, and a few meals at one of his several
logging camps will make one wish he was a lumber jack.
TOMAHAWK PULP AND PAPER COMPANY.
This manufacturing plant began making paper in 1889. Their first mill had a capacity of ten tons per day; their second mill was built in 1905 on the opposite bank of the Wisconsin River from the first plant. This mill has a capacity of twenty-five tons per day. The two mills use 2,000 horsepower and employ one hundred twenty-five men the year round.
A. M. Pride, proprietor and general manager of these two mills, came from Grand Rapids, Wisconsin, where he was engaged in the manufacture of pulp. He is not only a successful business man and manufacturer, but he is a successful citizen in everything that good citizenship implies
BRADLEY BANK, TOMAHAWK.
Tomahawk is particularly fortunate in the matter of its banking facilities; and to these institutions must be given a large measure of credit for the prestige. They add a substantial dignity to the business community, independent of their value as commercial agents. This substantiality is one which is unconsciously infused into every form of local business life.
To the Tomahawk people John W. Froehlich seems as much an essential part of their city as the trees and streets, as nearly his whole life has been spent there, and since attaining his years of manhood he has been conspicuously and constantly identified with the Bradley Company's interest. He was manager of the Mitchell Hotel for eleven years, and for six years has been cashier of the Bradley Bank. This bank has been a success from the start. It has done much to assist in the development of the resources of Tomahawk and Lincoln county. It has a paid capital of $50,000 and a surplus of $6,400. The officers of this bank are Edward Bradley, President; R. B. Tweedy, Vice-President, and John Froehlich, Cashier. These men are all well and favorably known in financial circles, and their names stand for business principles and honest and correct dealing. The bank is strong because the men back of it are strong. It has prospered because its management has been careful and prudent. Its success is well merited and richly deserved.
TOMAHAWK LUMBER COMPANY.
The Tomahawk Lumber Company was established in 1904. It saws twenty-five million feet of pine, hemlock and hardwood each year, which is brought to the mill by rail and water. They employ 145 men, and run day and night the year round. They operate a planing mill in connection with the saw mill, and nearly their entire product is sold and shipped as dressed lumber. This company sells their product only by wholesale. Their market covers a wide range, mostly in the Mississippi Valley, yet many carloads of their product finds market in San Francisco, also New York. Their saw mill is modern in every respect. This mill was built in 1904 and has been in constant service since that time. The officers of the company are R. B. Tweedy, President; Spencer Illsley, Vice-President, with C. C. Uber, Secretary, Treasurer and Manager. This manufacturing plant is one of Tomahawk's most substantial institutions. It is an organization that employs a large amount of labor at good wages, and the members of the company are among the most progressive and substantial business men of Lincoln County.
A PROMINENT NORTH WOODS CHARACTER. INDIAN PETE - 1907 Tomahawk
One of the best known and most dignified old Indians on the Wisconsin River was Indian Pete, who died about two years ago, aged ninety-four. He has traveled every Indian trail along the Wisconsin River, and for the past fifty years has been a familiar character in the towns and lumber camps all through the upper valley. He seemed to command the universal respect of the Whites, and for many years was a privileged character on the trains and at the Mitchell hotel at Tomahawk.
Pete was always proud of being a Chippewa, and seemed confident that his tribe were the only real good Indians in the pine woods.
A SUCCESSFUL MERCHANT. - D. C. JONES 1907 Tomahawk
D. C. Jones is one of the business men of Tomahawk whose qualifications have
fitted him for the business world. Quick to learn, patient in his efforts to
master business problems, success came easily to him, and while yet a boy he
had won a standing because of merit and faithfulness. Mr. Jones came to
Tomahawk in 1889, and went into partnership with E. W. Whitson in a general
store. In 1899 he bought out his partner, and is now carrying a first-class
stock of groceries, gents' furnishing goods and also handles flour, feed, hay
and farm machinery. He has four warehouses, and he is first, last and all the
time a hustler. He is public-spirited and takes a deep interest in everything
that tends to advance the best interests of his city. He has been alderman
for two years, and vice-president of the village for two years. He is popular
and efficient, and a fair type of the self-made Northern man. He has been a
man of action, and in his constant contact with men he has by his manner and
character created such a favorable impression that few men in Tomahawk are
more highly respected than he.
Tomahawk, Wisconsin Mitchell Hotel Fire March 6, 1929
The fire, known as the Mitchell Hotel fire, broke out shortly after
noon on March 6, 1929, in a cloakroom of the hotel. It ravished 18 buildings
in 4 hours. It destroyed a three-story frame building so quickly that only a
phonograph was saved.
While leveling the hotel, the flames, buffeted by a strong wind,
leaped across the street to the East, igniting the Standard Mercantile
Building, the town's largest store. Within two hours, the flames engulfed the
whole business block East of the hotel on Wisconsin Avenue, spread west of
the hotel and crossed Wisconsin Avenue to attack a bakery and four other
Proprietors and tenants scurried to safety as flames crackled nearby,
spreading so quickly that little could be saved.
Most of the population turned out. Schools were dismissed and high
school students aided firemen in their efforts. The flames and smoke
attracted farmers into town for miles around.
A strong wind and snow added to the fire's strength and firemen,
"Found their weapons inadequate to check it."
Tomahawk firefighters had no engine to increase water pressure for
their 12 lines of hose. Help was requested from surrounding communities, but
when Merrill firemen arrived, their apparatus was rendered useless by a
broken shaft. The Phillips fire department arrived to late.
As a last resort, dynamite was used to blow a gap in the path of the
fire. But that was unsuccessful. The explosion had the opposite effect,
contributing to the spread of the fire.
The intense heat from the blaze cracked pavement down to the sewers.
This aided firefighters by allowing water to run off instead of collecting in
William Addis, the hotel clerk, who discovered the fire ignored his
personal safety as he hurried through the corridors of the hotel warning
roomers to flee. When he reached the second floor, he found his escape route
blocked and jumped thru the window suffering serious injury.
Firemen rescued C. H. Grundy, superintendent of the Marinette,
Tomahawk and Western Railroad, who was confined to his hotel room by illness.
Women telephone operators stuck to their posts despite the approaching
flames and smoke. The telephone building was saved.
Fire watchers-mostly young boys-devoured most of the stock of
doughnuts, rolls, cakes, and cookies in the bakery across form the hotel
after the owners fled.
The fire spent itself shortly after 5 PM leaving 10 families homeless
who resided above the stores in the flats. Losses estimated were $300,000.00.
Except for the Mitchell hotel, all the buildings were two-story wooden
Merchandise and household effects taken from the burned buildings were
piled in the streets adjoining the fire area. There was no special police
guard and vandals made off with some items.
By March 8, the snowstorm had turned the ruins into a jewel box of
grotesquely shaped crystal. Electricity was restored that morning and Orville
Grant, owner of the Mitchell Hotel announced plans to rebuild a modern,
fireproof-50 room hotel-the present Tomahawk House-on the site.
The August Zastrow Saloon and the Oelhafen Store was destroyed in this
fire. This is my family line.
Taken from the Wausau Daily Herald March 1979
TOMAHAWK WOODENWARE COMPANY.
This plant is another one of Tomahawk's substantial and prosperous
industries. It was organized in January, 1905, with the following officers:
President, W. T. Bradley; Secretary, O. M. Smith, with A. E. Sutliff Vice
President. The plant has a capacity of about 2,000 pails per day and employs
from 30 to 40 men. The material used is basswood, pine, birch and other local
woods, mostly in the form of bolts from 4 to 8 feet long. The product has a
steady sale and is in good demand by candy makers, who ship most of their
output in wooden pails such as are manufactured by this company.
Much of this material is brought to the factory during the winter months by
farmers living near the city and is of that class considered as worthless
until very recently. This material now adds another item to the original
timber wealth of the northland, and as a source of revenue is taken into
consideration by prospective settlers and land buyers, it making possible the
clearing of land at a profit instead of loss. The soil is splendidly adapted
for stock raising and dairying, while hay, oats, and all the staple
vegetables are grown in abundance.
Thousands of cords of bolts are purchased each year from lands which have
been stripped of the sawmill timber, thus paying out money which makes
directly for the actual development of the farms so rapidly becoming a factor
in the growing wealth of this section of the state.
From the Tomahawk Leader July 2, 1986
History Sacred Heart Hospital Tomahawk
Just two years after the incorporation of the City of Tomahawk, in
1891, a start was made toward establishing a sister's hospital here.
It was because of the urgent pleading of the Reverend Charles
Hoogstoel, pastor of St. Mary's Church, that the Sisters of the Sorrowful
Mother agreed to start a hospital here in the 1890s.
Fr. Hoogstoel had become aquatinted with them at their Kneipp
Institution, St. Joseph's Hospital, Marshfield, Wisconsin, and also with the
Reverend Joseph Joch, chaplain and advisor of the sisters.
As soon as permission had been obtained from Bishop Messmer of Green
Bay, in which the diocese of Tomahawk was at the time, and from Mother
Frances Streitel, foundress of the Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother, Fr. Joch
assisted the sisters in getting established in Tomahawk.
When a hospital was established in those years, it did not mean that
patients and nurses were housed immediately in a brand new well equipped
Whatever temporary shelter was available sufficed for the beginning.
Such was the case when the sisters arrived in Tomahawk Oct. 19, 1893. They
were Sisters M. Anna Niegel, the Superior, M. Alexia Baurer, cook, M. Gabriel
Ortleib, portress, and M. Clementia Raes, and later M. Dionysia Griebel,
Their first hospital was a small two story building located, according
to some early settlers, at Fourth Street and Wisconsin Avenue. The place
proved to be to poorly suited for the purpose, however, and after a few
months of cold and privation the sisters accepted the opportunity to rent
Mrs. E. J. Theiler's residence at 127 Spirit Avenue and Sixth Street.
On a cold winter day, the sisters two patients were transferred by
means of bobsled to this second hospital. The early records of the hospital
show that nine patients were admitted between Dec. 2, 1893 and Jan. 12, 1894.
During the winter of 1893-1894, Fr. Joch drew up the plans for a new
hospital. After a conference with William Bradley, a prominent Tomahawk
businessman who owned much of the land in and around town, it was agreed that
the site for the hospital should occupy a plot of ground directly north of
the newly erected church and parsonage. The site was donated by Bradley.
Work was begun as soon as weather permitted. It is said that the early
settlers came with their teams to excavate the ground, each one digging for a
day or two as a donation.
The building, a two story frame construction, was erected by Anton
Weingart and an assistant under the supervision of Fr. Joch. Later the
building was brick veneered. On the day of the dedication, July 20, 1894, a
high mass was offered in the parish church.
The first seven years were difficult for Sacred Heart Hospital. The
income was insufficient and consequentially the sisters had to use every
means to enable them to keep the institution open. They begged for worn out
sheets and pillow slips so they could pull the threads apart and use the lint
instead of purchasing cotton batting, which was somewhat expensive and
difficult to obtain.
From the woods directly in back of the hospital, the sisters gathered
fire wood and so reduced their fuel expense. For a short time they were even
forced to beg alms and travel from one logging camp to another to sell
hospital tickets to lumbermen.
After 1900, several good ticket agents employed by the sisters helped
bring in more patients and more income.
The ticket agents were assigned a certain territory where they went
from camp to camp selling tickets at $5.00 and later $7.50. The ticket
entitled the holder to admission and to medical and surgical treatment in the
hospital at any time during one year from the date of the ticket, for such a
length of time within the year as the attending physician judged necessary
for the patient suffering from injury or sickness.
According to E. M. MacDonald, who succeeded his father as a ticket
agent for the hospital, the Tomahawk territory included 72 camps besides
sawmills. As an agent he received 15% of the sales from the hospital
directly. After selling the tickets he submitted the result of his work to
the foreman of the camp and the foreman then sent an order for the amount to
In the spring when the company paid the lumberjacks it deducted the
hospital's share from the amount due the respective camp. The deduction was
then sent directly to the hospital.
Tickets were bought chiefly by lumberjacks who had no home or family
in the vicinity. In time of illness their home was the hospital.
In the memoirs of Sister M. Dionysia, now deceased, it is related that
one such lumberjack bought a ticket every year. Whether he was sick or not,
he always came to the hospital and said, "I must visit my home at least once
The early sisters testified that the lumberjacks, men of many nations,
Russians, Poles, Swedes, Germans, Irish, French, were good men, respectful
and obliging to the sisters.
At the hospital, the men would help along with the work when they were
able, sawing and splitting wood, painting around the house and helping in the
barn and garden.
During the first 14 years of its history, Sacred Heart Hospital
prospered and accomplished much good. In 1908 an addition increased the
length of the building by 60 feet and raised the capacity to 32 beds.
Dedication took place Nov. 18, 1908 with the Reverend John B. Scheyer,
the parish priest, officiating. For this addition, the Bradley Company
offered a donation of $6000.00. The same amount was borrowed from the company
without interest and when repaid, it was returned to the sisters as a
donation toward future maternity care and an isolation unit.
It was decided to build the isolation unit, but the work was not done
till 1910. The two story building was dedicated Jan. 30, 1911. It served its
purpose for many years but later was used as a nurses' and maids' quarters.
Improvements and further additions were mad to Sacred heart Hospital
in the following years. 1928 added a third story. Less than a decade later a
three-story addition extending west on Washington Avenue was begun in April
1937 providing 18 additional beds.
Nov. 25, 1943 Golden Jubilee.
New Hospital ground breaking, Dec. 5, 1960.
Source Tomahawk Leader
July 3, 1908
MANY CHANGES IN SALOONS
Applications Show New Ownership's and New Licenses to Comply With Recent
Applications for saloon licenses show that there will be many changes in the
saloon business in Tomahawk for the year soon to begin. Thirty-five have been
made, two less than last year. These two places will probably continue as
there is yet time to obtain licenses.
Edgar Walquest has applied for the license for the Etberg place,
Gustave Engleman will again take his old place, run last year by Fred Erdman,
James Pickett will be succeeded at his old stand by William Jeannot and Mr.
Pickett will take the Mike Booner stand next door, Aurthur Johnson will run
the saloon at the Riverside Hotel and A.L. Roberge has purchased the Frank
Duranso place on Tomahawk Avenue. The Roberge place on the Wisconsin River
has not been licensed yet.
Owing to the former licenses not being citizens of the United States,
as required by law, licenses have been applied for by Mark Flanigan for the
Pat Flanigan place at Jersey City, H.G. Fuller for the August Zastrow Saloon,
Charlotte LeBlanc for the Peter LeBlanc place, Thomas Young for the Charles
Peterson place, Mary Chevier for the Henry Chevier place, and I.E. Boudreau
for the J.J. Boudreau place.
The new law preventing the granting of a license to a corporation,
H.J. Hein has applied for the Mitchell Hotel license for the Tomahawk Hotel
Company. The complete list of applicants are:
TOMAHAWK LEADER NEWSPAPER
July 3, 1908
PUTS OUT A NEW CIGAR
James H. Hall Begins the Manufacture of "La Buns"
Another new cigar to add to Tomahawk's fame is being put out on the market. It is "LaBuns," manufactured by James H. Hall. The new cigar is a trifle larger than the well known , "J. H. B. " It is of rich, dark color, with a broad leaf wrapper and an excellent filler and binder.
Tomahawk produces more good cigars of different makes than any town in this part of the state.
Whitson to Run for Senate
Well known Tomahawk Man becomes a Legislative Candidate in the Thirtieth District. E. W. Whitson of Tomahawk has announced himself a candidate for state senator from the thirtieth district, comprising the counties of Lincoln, Oneida, Langlade, Forest, Florence and Iron. Mr. Whitson has served two terms as assemblyman from Lincoln County, during the memorable sessions of 1901 and 1903 and also has been mayor of Tomahawk. He has always been ardent supporter of progressive Republican policies and of legislation which has followed them.
July 5th 1918, TOMAHAWK LEADER
Tomahawk, Wisconsin World War 1
SIX TOMAHAWK MEN GO JULY 9
Fifth Contingent to Lee for Columbus Barracks Next Tuesday
Lincoln Counties fifth contingent of selected men will leave for Columbus barracks, Ohio, Tuesday, July 9. The men from Tomahawk and vicinity who will leave with this call are:
John Hinschell, Jr. Tomahawk
Henry Magnuson, Irma
Frank Brayda, Tomahawk
Alfred Hanson, Irma
Adrin Amelse, Harrison
Grant Vallier, Tomahawk
Mitchell Liberty, Tomahawk
Peter Nelson, Irma
George Bessy, Irma
Frank Reynolds, Tomahawk
Tony Lapinski, Tomahawk
Shooting Gallery Tomahawk
TOMAHAWK LEADER JULY 1, 1910
H. W. McCarthy has started a shooting gallery on Wisconsin Avenue on the vacant lot next to Meunier's. He is offering a $10.00 prize for the best score made up to July fifth. Some high scores have already been made.
Tomahawk Leader July 3, 1908
INVENTS STUMP PULLER
F. A. Barbeau works out idea for machine which promises to be the best of them all!
F. A. Barbeau of Tomahawk is the inventor of a stump puller which promises to be the best machine designed for the clearing of land. Andrew Oelhafen is furnishing financial backing required for the manufacture required of the stump puller. One machine already has been built and is in use on the Oelhafen farm. Other machines are now under construction at the Oelhafen Saw Mill.
" If we can sell enough machines we will build a factory to employ 100 or more men, " said Mr. Oelhafen in speaking of the new invention."It looks like a good thing, the best of its kind. The trials given the first machine built certainly show up well."The stump puller, it is claimed, will pull the biggest white pine stumps with only two men to operate it.It works rapidly and requires only 2 men to work the levers and one horse to move the machine from stump to stump. No long test has been given the puller and it is not yet known how much land can be gone over with it in a day. The price of the machine will only be $75.00 and if it is successful as it promises to be it will prove a great thing for the owners of cutover land.
One of the completed pullers will be exhibited at the Fourth of July Parade tomorrow. Mr. Barleau, the inventor, is a laboring man who came here from Rhinelander several years ago. His home is on Wisconsin Avenue and Fifth Street.
William Bradley -
The father of Tomahawk-Wm Bradley-entertained on a lavish scale. He owned a unique boat rain that steamed the Somo River. It consisted of the steamer, "Nynack," which was used as a tug boat to haul six barges, all coupled together like a railroad train. The cabins on the barges were built like railroad cars. There were three sleeping cars, a kitchen, a dining car and an observation car. After Bradley's death, the boats were broken up, but two of them were purchased and placed on an island near the Marinette Bridge over the Somo River and converted into summer cottages. They were still occupied in the 1930s.
Source: 1886-1986 Centennial Edition Tomahawk Leader
Two of Tomahawk's Popular Young People United in Marriage
Thomas E. Nash and Miss Anna Zastrow were quietly united in marriage
at the Congregational Church last Saturday. Rev. Grant V. Clark officiating.
The bridal couple was attended by Mr. and Mrs. Leo Martz. After the ceremony
the young couple drove out to Half Moon Lake, there to spend their Honeymoon
at the John Oelhafen cottage, believing that they would not have to undergo
the trials that popular young people are treated with when they are quietly
married, but early in the evening, when the news of the marriage was given
out their friends swore a vengeance and not until Monday morning was there a
quiet moment on Half Moon Lake. Wagonloads of friends made informal calls,
taking with them the necessary equipment to make various noises, and in each
instance the discords were very harmonious, so much so that the occupants of
the cottage responded to receive congratulations regardless of the time of
day or night.
The bride is a young lady of many estimable qualities and is the
daughter of Alderman August Zastrow. She resided in Tomahawk the greater part
of her life being educated at Tomahawk High School and has many friends. The
groom resided in Tomahawk about seven years and is an industrious young man
of good habits who has friends wherever he goes. he is in the employ of
Tomahawk Iron Works.
THE TOMAHAWK LEADER JULY 22, 1905
MOTHER DESERTS BABY BOY
Left at the Home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Durnell
CHILD IS THREE MONTHS OLD
Mother About Seventeen Years of Age and is Not Known Here.
A young woman, well dressed and nice looking, called at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Durnell in this city Tuesday, July 11th, carrying with her a baby boy, and asked Mr. and Mrs. Durnell if they wished to adopt the child. She gave her name as Mrs. Robarge and stated that she had lived at Star Lake for some time, but found it difficult to properly care for infant as her husband had left her and she was compelled to work. Her husband deserted her while they were living in Grand Rapids a few months ago.Mr. and Mrs. Durnell told her that they did not care to keep the child, but invited the young woman to stay with them a few days and during this time she could probably find someone to keep the child.The young woman remained with Mr. and Mrs. Durnell until the following day when she asked Mrs. Durnell to attend to the child while she went to the St. Paul Depot to get clothing out of the grip for the little one. Mrs. Durnell consented to do this and the young woman started for the depot and did not return. She left the house at 10:30 am and it is believed that she took the 11:10 north bound passenger train.Mrs. Robarge, as she gave her name, is about seventeen years of age and the baby boy is 3 months of age. The child, when it arrived at the Durnell home, did not look very well, probably on account of neglect and poor care, but is now in perfect health, and is said to be a smart young fellow. Mr. and Mrs. Durnell have since decided to keep the child.
RESORTS AND THEIR OWNERS 1950 TOMAHAWK WISCONSIN
COTTAGES: Al's Point Resort owned A.L. Hoffman on Lake Alice
Camp Rice Point owned by Ring on Lake Nokomis
Crescent park owned by Mr. and Mrs. Claude Huributt,
Rhinelander, WI. On Crescent Lake.
Deep Woods Lodge owned by Harland and Franke on the North
end of the Willow Flowage.
Dereg's Resort owned by Earl and Bee Dereg on Muskellunge
Duck Point resort owned by Paul J. Hipler on Tomahawk
Echo Valley Resort owned by Orville and Esther Agnew on
Fish-A-While Camp owned by Wm. and Freda Jahsmann on Lake
Gerdes' Pine Crest Resort owned by Gerdes on Lake Nokomis.
Hack's Birch Bay resort owned by Mr. and Mrs. Harold
Hackbarth on Manson Lake.
Hazy Bay Resort owned by Bob Theilman on Lake Nokomis.
Honey Moon Resort owned by Anthony Rybarczyk on ? Lake.
Hoosier Hideout owned by ? On Lake Nokomis.
Horsehead Resort owned by Chester Kroll on East Horsehead
Hillside resort owned by Marguerite and Gib Bachhuber on
Karam's Resort owned by George Karam on Lake Nokomis.
Kingfish Resort owned by ? On Lake Alice.
Lamer's Housekeeping Cottages owned by Mrs. Joseph Lamar
on Half Moon Lake.
Lamar's Pine Cone Cottages owned by Veva and Herman Lamar
bordering 4 lakes.
Muskellunge Lake resort owned by Nutrick and Behren on
Nokomis Cabins owned by Mr. and Mrs. Walter Bradfish on
Paulson's Cottages owned by Paulson on Manson Lake.
Peninsula Village owned by Mr. and Mrs. Ralph McGuire,
Rhinelander, WI. On Squash Lake.
Pine O' Nokomis owned by Mr. and Mrs. Derleth on Lake
Rambling Lane owned by John and Mabel Bullard on Manson
Rapel's Cottages owned by Fred Rapel on Lake Nokomis.
Red's Place owned by C.P.Schmitz on Lake Alice.
Schmidt's Clear Lake Cottages owned by J. C. Schmidt on
Shorewood Resort owned by James Vlastnik on Lake Alice.
Silver Birch owned by ? On Half Moon Lake.
Sky Pine Lodge owned by H. A. Bussewitz on Lake Alice.
Spillman's Thurston Forest resort owned by E. Spillman on
Uspel's Resort owned by Vincent Upsel on Lake Nokomis.
Walker's Nev-er-est Lodge owned by Edward Walker on Manson
Weggie's Point resort owned by Fanny and Heini Wegmann on
White Pines Haven owned by ? On Lake Nokomis.
Johnson's Shady rest owned by Wm. Johnson on Manson Lake.
Phil's Resort owned by ? On Lake Nokomis.
Wurster's Edgewood resort owned by R.R. Wurster on Lake
1926 -1927? Tourist Brochure
WELCOME TO TOMAHAWK WISCONSIN
With the coming hot summer months countless thousands will be turning
their attention to "The North" where silvery lakes, sparkling streams,
towering pines and a hundred other attractions call to those who seek the
"great outdoors" for recreation and enjoyment.
No commonwealth offers as much to the vacationist as Northern
Wisconsin with its system of state maintained highways. Prominent among this
vast system of Highways is "Highway 10" which transverses the state from the
Illinois boundary to Lake Superior on the North, piercing the very heart of
the great playground and vacation land.
At the gateway to this Mecca of tourists stands Tomahawk. It is the
first locality where the tourist meets the splendors of the North and where
all the accommodations are offered which makes one's vacation a pleasure long
to be remembered.
At the forefront of all the attractions offered by this community is
Bradley Park, the finest natural park in the entire northwest. Here stands a
monumental specimen of God's greatest handiwork, unmarred by human
artificiality. Almost within a stone's throw of the business section of the
city are these 78 acres of virgin pine, encircled by the beautiful Lake
Mo-Hawk-Sin, which is formed by the Somo, Tomahawk, and Wisconsin Rivers.
Here the city provides two wonderful campsites where the tourist and the
camper may converse with a bit of old Wisconsin, the wonderland of Nature.
In addition to these 2 campsites, Tomahawk offers a third campsite
adjacent to Highway 10 on the banks of Lake Mo-Hawk-Sin. Each campsite is
maintained by the city and is under the joint supervision of the Park Board
and the Tomahawk Civic and Commercial Club. The campsites are equipped with
shelters, cook stoves, fire fuel, tables, wells poring forth the purest
water, bathing beaches and bath houses.
For the past two years Tomahawk has conducted weekly entertainment
features for the enjoyment of the tourists at Bradley park. These consist of
concerts by the Tomahawk American legion band, vocal solos, quartets, as well
as vaudeville features. Originating with impromptu serenades by a group of
legionnaires, these concerts have become immensely popular with our summer
visitors and now include the finest talent available. Many of the tourists
also have exceptional ability along these lines and share their talent among
the whispering pines, softened by nature's draperies.
The Tomahawk Civic and Commercial Club will maintain a complete
information bureau this summer. This Bureau will be centrally located with
courteous attendants in charge, competent to furnish accurate information on
the highways, resorts and fishing and to give other valuable information for
the benefit of the tourist.
Within the radius of ten miles from the City of Tomahawk there are 27
beautiful lakes, four rivers and countless trout streams.
One golf course with a club house in connection has now been
completed: another will be ready for play by the opening of the 1926 tourist
season and the third will be opened in 1927.
For the entertainment of our summer guests it is our plan to hold a
Water carnival some time in June. This will be a big attraction with experts
competing in every event. Some of the features will be motor boat, rowing and
canoe races, swimming races, high and fancy diving, canoe tilting, log
rolling contests, and a casting tournament. Prizes and cups will be awarded.
Winter sports have become a prominent feature of the life in the North
Woods. Skating, Skiing, snowshoeing, tobogganing, ski jumping, hockey
matches, horse racing on skis and many other attractions are drawing
thousands of spectators to these winter carnivals. We invite you to attend
our next Annual Carnival Jan. 15, 1927. One week spent in Northern Wisconsin
skiing through its wooded slopes, or skimming birdlike over its frozen
mirrors, is more enervating than an entire month spent in the listless,
pepless air of the far famed south.
========================================================================== In 1938, the Tomahawk High School Basketball team played in the Class B tournament, Marcy 9, 10, 11, 12. The played in Nekoosa, Wisconsin. The roster consisted of Townsend, Nelson, R. Koth, Nick, Fehrman, Burton, Chvala, Hetzel, St. Peter, and student manager Theiler. This information was sent by Dawn, ENDOS@aol.com. ======================================================================================= Bouchard's Tavern The sole mark of civilization previous to 1886 was a tavern or a station kept by Germaine Bouchard, which was located on the north side of the Wisconsin River and the west side of the Tomahawk River, where the Tomahawk and Somo flowed into the Wisconsin. Bouchard had kept this station since 1858, also operating a ferry here, and the locality was variously known as the Forks or Bouchard’s. He continued to conduct the tavern until 1888, when the land was inundated by back water from the dam which was being constructed two miles below: the site of the tavern is now a small island just north of the west end of Rodgers Island, where the Rodgers Mill was located, the island being part of the city’s park system. The completion of the treaty with the Chippewa Indians, by which they agreed to live on their reservations at Odanah and Lac du Flambeau, gave impetus to the logging operations in the Tomahawk area and in 1886 the Tomahawk Land and Boom Company began construction of two camps two miles south of the city as a preliminary to building a dam there to form a lake wherein the logs could be stored before being manufactured into lumber and where they could be sorted. At the heyday of the lumber industry here the annual cut at Tomahawk ran from 60,000,000 to 75,000,00 feet of lumber with about 25,000,000 shingles. Reference: Excerpted from: HISTORY OF LINCOLN, ONEIDA AND VILAS COUNTIES WISCONSIN 1924 Tomahawk Pioneer Society Dawn Nash Durbin Email: Endos@aol.com www.tomahawkpioneers.50megs.com http://www.naish.50megs.com/index.html ===================================================================================================== UPSTREAM By Carl Thielman (Excerpted from Merrill Photo News) Date unknown One does not wish to undermine the heroic feats performed by the early men who came to the Lincoln County area in the late 1880s and the early 1900s. They came, often as children, twelve to sixteen, into a forest uncut and a wilderness untamed. Their jobs and workload were man-size and they were notorious for being grossly underpaid for their efforts. In the chronicles and biographies of our early settlers, the wife was usually mentioned after the tales of how well the husband had done financially, how big his barn was and how many cattle or business interests he owned. After listing these important facts, the name of his wife, their marriage date and how many offspring was included. Many women had come right alongside the men, often arriving as brides on honeymoons, riding over rough “tote” roads in ox drawn spring less wagons that had to be unloaded and reloaded at mud holes. Their first living quarters were usually tents or sheds and they helped their husbands build the first log homes and clear acreage for gardens and crops. The women tended the livestock, hauled water, reared children, maintained the household and cared for the sick and the dying. The first white woman to arrive in the Tomahawk area was Mary Tobin who came in 1887 with her husband John Tobin. They lived in a log shanty at a point on the Wisconsin River west of Tomahawk, just opposite Rodgers Island. After his death in 1894, Mary Tobin took over her husband’s business interests and ran the farm, boarding house and icehouse. She eventually remarried to Joseph B. Ball who helped her in her ventures. It is recorded that one Tomahawk woman lived and bore her first child in a log shanty that leaked so badly that icicles would form on the stovepipe in the winter. Infant mortality was high. The earliest settlers did without doctors and midwives. If a child survived birthing there were still epidemics of small pox, measles and pneumonia. These ailments took their share of adults. There were no miracle drugs, pharmacies and vaccinations. Widows and widowers left behind did not wait long to remarry. The harsh realities of life drove them for comfort and necessities. Children had to be tended, meals prepared, clothes washed and sewn and life resumed. A few women mentioned in print stand out because of their uniqueness. Catherine Theiler was the mother of 10 sons and 1 daughter. Besides raising this large family she tended the sick in Tomahawk and the outlying lumber camps. Lillian Zastow had a shrewd business head. In 1921 she purchased the Princess Theatre that she operated. She also purchased 200 acres of land that she had cleared, planted and sold for a profit. One unfortunate soul, Mrs. Abigail Conant died in Tomahawk 11/8/1919 as a result of being struck by an auto mobile while crossing Fourth Street on foot. These are small claims to fame. THE TOMAHAWK NEWSPAPER Feb. 23, 1907 Houses Scarce in Tomahawk Houses again will be scarce in Tomahawk this spring. The demand for houses has already commenced and indications are that there is not a vacant house in Tomahawk. This week, two gentlemen who reside out of the city, wanted information in regard to a viable vacant home and came to visit this office. They informed us that they had found it impossible to secure quarters into which to move their families. Tomahawk Pioneer Society www.tomahawkpioneers.50megs.com In the HISTORY OF LINCOLN, ONEIDA AND VILAS COUNTIES, published in 1924, over 800 biographies of men were listed with only four or five women meriting a paragraph of their own. The biographies are an honor to 800 daring men but a dishonor to the fine woman who helped shape the early years of this region. Tomahawk Pioneer Society Dawn Nash Durbin Email: Endos(at)aol.com www.tomahawkpioneers.50megs.com http://www.naish.50megs.com/index.html
Return to Lincoln County Stories and History Page
Return to Lincoln County Home Page