This page is presented FREE because of the efforts of myself and other dedicated volunteers.
This article was taken from the page of Tim Sasse, (email@example.com) with his permission. For articles about Wisconsin railroads, by county, go to Tim's page: http://members.tripod.com/~sassmaster/
(c) Timothy Sasse
1.) Barker & Stewart Lumber Company. From 1906 until about 1915 several spurs were constructed off of the Milwaukee Road's Kalinke branch to serve lands owned by this company. Spurs were located at both Glandon and Kalinke. Barker & Stewarts mill was located at Wausau. Kalinke was about 8 miles northeast of Wausau, but the path taken by log trains north to Gleason, west to Otis, and then south through Merrill to Wausau was over 60 miles. The Milwaukee conducted all train operations.
2.) Ingersoll Land & Lumber Company. In 1888 the Ingersoll Land & Lumber Company constructed a line southwest from Eland to a town called Ingersoll. The town and sawmill burned in 1897 and nothing remains today. (It was located in section 2 of town 27 north range 10 east). Following the Ingersoll fire the line passed into the hands of Henry Sherry who continued to operate it and extended the line south to Lily Lake (just south of Elderon) Sherry never aquired any right-of-way and many of the local residents were furious that he built a rail line across their property without premission. Several landowners put up fences and blockades to keep trains from running. Tempers cooled however, when Sherry began operating the line as a common carrier (although it never was one officially) In 1903 the C&NW aquired the line and extended it south to Rosholt. There were several spurs off of the C&NW Rosholt branch serving the Brooks & Ross and the Moore & Galloway Lumber Companies. Neither of these two had its own log trains as the C&NW performed all operations. The C&NW Rosholt branch was abandoned in 1956.
3.)In 1905 and 1909 the Milwaukee constructed a long spur of about 10 miles east from Knowlton to serve land owned by the Union Tanning Co. This spur was abandoned in 1918.
4.) Joseph Dessert Lumber Company. In 1891 Dessert built its line from a connection with the Milwaukee (Dessert Jct) about 2 miles north of Mosinee, east and then south ending about 6.5 miles due east of Mosinee. Dessert's line remained in operation until 1901. All rail for this line was leased from the Milwaukee. It was one of the first lines in the state where the lumber company involved could have easily used water transportation for its logs, but chose rail instead.
5.) Upham Manufacturing Company. Upham had two lines in Marathon County. The first was built in 1889. It was a spur of about 3 miles extending west from the WC main from a point about 5 miles northwest of Marshfield. This line was only in service for about a year. In 1899 the Abottsford & Northeastern Railroad constructed six miles of track northeast from Athens. In the following year Upham extended the line to Goodrich in Taylor County. The Copper River Land Co bought out Upham on April 25, 1906. Copper River Land Co was owned by U.S. Leather which also owned the Rib Lake Lbr Co. (Taylor Co) Logs were hauled by the A&NE to Abbottsford and then on the WC to Rib Lakes mill. In a decision rendered on July 31, 1907 the Wisconsin Railroad Commission forced the WC to take over the Athens-Goodrich line and operate common carrier service. WC abandoned it in 1931. Upham was based in Marshfield, and had lines in Clark and Wood Counties as well. (See each of those individual pages for details.)
6.) Marathon County Railroad. In 1892 the R. Connor Lumber Company located its mill in the village of Stratford. Operations of a logging railroad began in that year. At this time R. Coonor built a line extending easterly from Stratford that eventually ended only a couple of miles west of Mosinee. In 1903 the R. Connor Co Railroad was incorporated as the common carrier Marathon County Railroad. It pretty much carried on the same operations hauling logs for its owner. There seems, however, to have been several run-ins with the Wisconsin Railroad Commission over rates and service to local residents. On September 17, 1907 it ordered the Marathon County to provide passenger service on a scheduled basis at least once a week between Stratford and Halder (about 7 miles west of Mosinee) The train was operated on Tuesdays and lasted for only six weeks. The Railroad Commission voided its decision on October 22, after six weeks of operation yielded $1.10 of revenue. There was constant complaining by local farmers about the company owning no boxcars, and that general freight service on log cars wasn't sufficient for their needs. On May 6, 1928 the company filed with the Railroad Commisssion to abandon its line.
7.) Doud Sons & Company. This line extended north from a connection with the C&NW at Staadt (about a mile southwest from Stratford) northerly about 5 miles to March Rapids on the Eau Pleine River which was the location of Doud's mill. Doud's railroad seems to have had quite a short lifespan, Operations seem to have begun in about 1909 and were terminated in 1913.
8.) Manville & Eau Pleine River Railroad. This line was originally built as a tram by the B.F. McMillan & Brothers Logging Co. It had log rails and a homemade steam locomotive. Initial construction was in the late 1870's. In 1881 it was converted to a regular steam railroad. It consisted of a line between Mannville on the WC about 2 miles northwest of Marshfield and McMillan about 2 miles to the northeast. In 1890 the line was extended another 5 miles northeast. In 1891 the original portion of the line between Mannville and Mc Millan was bought by the WC. The section northeast of Mc Millan was abandoned in 1908. The WC spur to Mc Millan lingered until 1913.
Return to Marathon County home page
Return to Stories of Marathon County page