(click here)

Biographies

Cemeteries

Churches

Funeral Homes

Geographic
Names

Historical Societies

History

Libraries

Lineages

Lookups

Mailing Lists

Map

Museums

Newspapers

Obituaries

Peshtigo Fire

Schools

Sources

Surname Queries

Townships

 

Civil Townships and Localities

The civil towns correspond to the county map and are listed in boldface, followed by the names of communities (both incorporated and unincorporated) found within the surveying borders of those townships, as well as historical information.

Townships that are Defunct

  • Marinette (est. 1879, separated into Porterfield and Wausaukee in 1887). [Note: the City of Marinette is still there, as always. It is located within the surveying boundaries of the Town of Peshtigo.]
  • Girard (est. 1913, dissolved 1924).
  • Crivitz (est. 1897, dissolved 1927). [Note: the Village of Crivitz exists within the surveying boundaries of the Town of Stephenson.]

Town of Amberg (Pike)

  • Includes Amberg (village), Coles, Marek (was Cota), Miscauno Island, Pike
  • 1883 - Warren Buckman, first permanent settler, arrived with supplies and set up a trading post west of the Pike River.
  • 1884 - Charles Dahl, second permanent settler. He was a surveyor for the railroad.
  • 1887 - William Amberg and [?] Cameron established granite quarries.
  • 1888 - William Amberg, a Chicago businessman who established granite quarries in the area, platted the village and gave it its name.
  • 1890 - Town of Amberg established. (Area formerly called Pike by white settlers.)
  • 1903 - Village of Amberg destroyed by fire, but was rebuilt. Population est. 500.

Map | Top

Athelstane

  • Includes the unincorporated villages of Athelstane, Girard Junction, and Intervale.
  • 1902 - Town of Athelstane established. It was one of William Amberg's quarry locations and was named by his Scotch foreman, Alex A. Marten, for the blue-gray color ("athel") of the stone ("stane").

Map | Top

Beaver (Armstrong Dam)

  • Includes the unincorporated village of Beaver.
  • Originally known as Armstrong Dam, after "Pinochle" Armstrong who homesteaded the land. He built a 60-room house where he offered room and board to lumbermen coming off the spring log drives in exchange for their services clearing his land in summer.
  • 1902 - Town of Beaver set off from the towns of Coleman and Crivitz.
  • Town named for Beaver Brook, a tributary of the Peshtigo River.

Map | Top

Beecher

  • Includes unincorporated settlements of Beecher and Beecher Lake

  • 1923 - Town of Beecher separated from the Town of Amberg. Ira Stout was the first county board supervisor.

Map | Top

Town of Dunbar

  • Includes the unincorporated villages of Dunbar, Colman Siding, and Walton.
  • 1880s - Dunbar Station was a railroad stop, said to be named for a camp cook named Dunbar who took charge of supplies for the lumber camps of the area.
  • 1899 - Town of Dunbar formed.
  • A.C. Wells - First representative to county board.
  • Chief industries were the Girard Lumber Company and the Dunbar & Wausaukee Railroad.

Map | Top

Town of Goodman

  • Includes the village of Goodman and an unincorporated settlement known as Sidney
  • Named for the James B. Goodman family who established a lumber mill and company town in 1907.
  • 1908 - Town of Goodman established from part of the Town of Dunbar.
  • 1955 - Calumet and Hecla, Inc. bought the Goodman mill, and the houses in the town were sold to private individuals.

Map | Top

Town of Grover

  • Includes unincorporated communities of Harmony (Harmony Corners), County Line, May Corner, and Wilcox.
  • 1860 - Edgar Annis established a 200 acre farm. Other farmers were O.F. Peck, Levi Leslie, William McFarland and Swen Olson.
  • 1864 - Harvey England, from New York state, settles in the area and engages in farming and lumbering.
  • 1892 - Town of Grover created from land taken from the Town of Peshtigo. Ernest Lepinksy, A.H. Colburn and F. Weinhart were the first town officials.

Map | Top

Town of Lake

  • Includes the unincorporated community of Loomis.
  • 1902 - Town of Lake set off from Peshtigo Township.

Map | Top

Town of Middle Inlet

  • Includes unincorporated settlements of Middle Inlet and Sweetheart City.
  • 1910 - Town of Middle Inlet formed from part of Town of Wausaukee.
  • Town named for the stream which flows through it, the middle of three streams that flow into Lake Noquebay.

Map | Top

Town of Niagara

  • Includes unincorporated village of Faithorn and the Village of Niagara
  • 1889 - John Stoveken, Sr., first settler and first to attempt to harness the Lower Quinnesec Falls on the Menominee River, established a small pulp mill here.
  • 1910 - Town of Niagara formed from part of Town of Amberg.
  • 1913 - Village of Niagara incorporated.

Map | Top

Town of Pembine

  • Includes the unincorporated communities of Pembine, Chapin, Hardy, Holmes Junction, Kremlin, Prest and Van Horne.
  • 1847 - Named by government surveyors for the Pemene-Bon-Won River flowing through the area. Pemene is a native word for cranberries.
  • 1914 - Town of Pembine established. G.C. Phelps first representative to county board.

Map | Top

Town of Peshtigo

  • Contains Marinette, Menekaunee (East Marinette), Peshtigo (was Clarksville), and Peshtigo Harbor.
  • 1838 - J.H. Leavenworth built a sawmill on the west bank of the Peshtigo River.
  • 1850 - Leavenworth built another mill on the east bank of the river. Population: 566.
  • 1867 - Wagon road joined Peshtigo and Peshtigo Harbor.
  • 1871 - The village and much of surrounding area destroyed by forest fire. See The Great Peshtigo Fire.
  • 1879 - Town of Peshtigo established. Included all of the western part and the northern half of the county not included in the town of Marinette.
  • 1887 - Village of Peshtigo incorporated.
  • 1903 - Peshtigo obtained city charter.

Marinette

  • 1842 - Jonathan Cory Hall, the first doctor on the Menominee River, arrived in the area.
  • 1853 - J.J. Sherman came from New York to study with Dr. Hall.
  • 1871 - Dr. Benjamin R. Hall graduated from Rush Medical College in Chicago and began his career in Marinette treating survivors of the Peshtigo Fire.
  • 1879 - Town of Marinette established. The town extended 75 miles upstream on the Menominee River, and included what is now Florence County. 1853 population: 478, more than half of whom were native Americans. There were three permanent dwellings: the homes of Marie Chevalier Farnsworth ("Queen Marinette"), John B. Jacobs (Marinette's son), and Dr. Hall.
  • 1885 - First city directory for Marinette.
  • 1887 - City of Marinette chartered.

Map | Top

Town of Porterfield

  • Includes the unincorporated villages of Porterfield, Bagley Junction, Walsh, Rugby's Corner, Miles and Twin Creek.
  • 1887 - Town of Porterfield created from part of town of Marinette. First town meeting held in April in the Rawn School.
  • The town was named for John Porterfield, a farmer and businessman in the area.
  • Jacob H. Bernardy was the first representative to the county board.

Map | Top

Town of Pound (was Coleman)

  • Includes the villages of Pound and Coleman
  • The surrounding area was referred to as the Sugar Bush for the thick stands of sugar maple trees that grew there.
  • 1870 - Joseph Brault, first white man to make a permanent settlement.
  • 1871 - Brault's cabin and land ravaged by the Peshtigo Fire.
  • 1873 - L.D. McMillan settled in the area.
  • 1874 - A small group of Norwegians came from Michigan.
  • 1875-76 - A group of New Yorkers settled.
  • 1880 - Village of Pound founded by John A. Wagg.
  • 1880s - Milwaukee and Northern Railroad opens.
  • 1893 - Town of Coleman established.
  • 1903 - Town name changed to Pound in honor of Thaddeus C. Pound, the 8th District congressman and former lieutenant governor.
  • Village of Pound incorporated.

Map | Top

Town of Silver Cliff (Rat River)

  • 1920 - Town of Silver Cliff established.
  • R.L. King was the first representative to the county board.
  • www.silvercliff.com (web site devoted primarily to rafting on the Peshtigo River)

Map | Top

Town of Stephenson

  • Includes the village of Crivitz (was Ellis Junction), and Konstad (unincorporated)
  • Crivitz was originally a stop on the Milwaukee and Northern Railroad named for William Ellis, superintendent of the Peshtigo Lumber Company which gave the right of way through the area.
  • 1860s - Levi P. Hale and John Seymour set up a trading post approx. 6 miles northwest of the present village of Crivitz.
  • 1880s - Village platted by Ellis and Fred Bartels and named for Bartels' birthplace of Crivitz, Germany.
  • 1897 - Town of Crivitz established.
  • 1905 - Town of Stephenson created. At that time it included the village of Crivitz. W.H. Falvey was the first representative to the county board.
  • 1913 - Village of Crivitz incorporated.
  • 1927 - Village dissolved to become part of Town of Stephenson.
  • 1974 - Village of Crivitz again incorporated.

Map | Top

Town of Wagner

  • Includes unincorporated settlements of Bar, Goll, Kinsman, McAllister, Newton, Packard and Wagner.
  • 1915 - Residents of the area east of Middle Inlet petitioned for separation from Porterfield to form a new township, named for their first supervisor to the county board, Joseph Wagner.

Map | Top

Town of Wausaukee

  • Includes unincorporated settlements of Cedarville and Poch de Noch, and the Village of Wausaukee (was Big Wausaukee).

  • 1880 - John S. Monroe took up homestead and put up a log cabin in the forest. Established a post mill and blacksmith shop. Was also involved in shipbuilding.
  • 1887 - Town of Wausaukee created from part of Marinette. R.G. Brown was the first representative to the county board.
  • 1924 - Village of Wausaukee incorporated.

Map | Top

Sources
Uncapher, Wendy (Zastrow) and Linda (Zastrow) Herrick. Wisconsin: Its Counties, Townships & Villages. Janesville, Wis.: Origins, a Division of Copycrafters, Inc., 1994.
Wisconsin Atlas and Gazetteer. Freeport, Maine: DeLorme Mapping Co.
Marinette County Centennial 1879-1979. Marinette, Wis.: Marinette County Historical Society, 1979.

 

 

County Coordinator (e-mail)
Neighboring Counties: [Oconto] [Florence] [Forest] [Menominee (MI) ] [Dickinson (MI)]
[Home] [WiGenWeb] [USGenWeb] [WorldGenWeb] [Rootsweb]

2001 Deana C. Hipke