Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
is exclusively for the FREE access of individual researchers.
may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links to this site.
SURING SCHOOL DISTRICT LOCAL
to the Oconto County Home Page
first settlers of Suring
had to travel to Hayes to get their mail which was carried there from
by Fred Guehlker, who drove a mule team. Before this regular mail
was established between Lena and Hayes, the residents of Suring and
had gotten their mail from Oconto. They hired Mr. Weinholt once a month
to go to Oconto to get it for them. Later it was twice a month.
the railroad was built
through Suring. the mail was brought this far by train and then hauled
to the post office at Hayes by team. The men who drove the mail stage
that time were Levi Scott, father of Mrs. R.M. Stengel. and Herman
father of Mrs. Otto Hischke.
Hayes post office was located
in the Weinholt home first, then later moved to the John Holl store.
was not until about a year
after the building of the railroad through the Village of Suring that a
post office was established here. The first post office was located in
the Anton Arveson store, now "Little Chummy's Bar". This building was
by Mr. Arveson in 1897.
Arveson was Suring's first
postmaster. He was appointed to that position on November 27, 1897 and
on December 4th he took the oath of office. Postmaster General James A.
Gray signed his commission on December 11,1897.
Arveson operated the post
office in connection with • store business until he sold his
place of business
to John Kaufrnann who then became a postmaster. Mr. Kaufmann moved the
post office out of the store building in 1905. to its new quarters
was a little building which had been used as a doctor's office located
east of the Arveson store. Miss Cora Raymond was then hired as the
postal clerk. Succeeding
Miss Raymond as postal clerk was Miss Sarah Donald, daughter of Steve
the turn of the century the
farming country surrounding the village had become well settled and the
federal government decided to serve this rural area with free delivery
of mail. In about the year 1904, the first rural mail route was
out of the village. It covered a distance of about twenty-four miles to
the west of town. Steve Donald. Miss Mabel Madison's father, was the
rural carrier. Mail was delivered seven days a week and carriers were
$1.00 a day.
the mail route now passing
through Hayes and surrounding country, the post office there was
and the people of that community received their mail by rural free
was in about the year 1905
that the free delivery of mail was extended into Maple Valley east of
village. This route covered about twenty-four miles and was served by
first carrier, N.P. Nelson. Other carriers through the years included
Alien, James Thielke, Fred Coy, Joseph Trever, Elmer Anderson, John
and Elger Hoffman.
first mail carriers traveled
their routes by horse and buggy during the summer months and by sled
the winter time. The sled consisted of a cab on runners. A small wood
coal-burning stove within kept the men warm and comfortable while
1913 Mr. James Thielke replaced
his horse and buggy during the summer time with his first automobile.
Donald used an automobile on his mail route for the first time in 1918.
present post office in Suring.
built in 1957 by Mr. and Mrs. Peter Ehlinger. is almost directly across
the street from the original post office building. Suring presently has
three rural routes.
Post Office built in
Donald, Suring's first
rural carrier, in front of the Suring Post Office in 1905.