Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
is exclusively for the FREE access of individual researchers.
may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links to this site.
SURING SCHOOL DISTRICT LOCAL
to the Oconto County Home Page
eight was the
year of the big Suring fire which wiped out a considerable part of the
south side of Main Street. It was about 8 o'clock on the evening of
30 that fire, starting from an overheated stove, broke out in the cigar
shop operated by Al Schultz.
cigar shop was an addition
on the east side of the building known as Liberty Hall, which had been
erected in 1901 by Jim Johnson and Nels Nelson. Liberty Hall, which
a store on the first floor operated by William Wagner and E.R. Buss,
where the Farmer's Store now stands and the cigar shop was located on
present "Peggy's Pub" site. Above the store was a large hall from which
the building received its name.
Elsie Nelson, wife of Andrew
and Mrs. Andrew Peter Nelson
and family was one of the first families to settle in this community.
Nelsons came here from Denmark,
Europe in the year 1881. They built a log cabin behind the present
Detert and Alien Urbanek homes just east of the Village of Suring. This
was a homestead and the country was a wilderness at that time. There
a smal! settlement at Frostville but nothing in Suring until Joe Suring
built his sawmill the same year. The homestead was about one half mile
from what is now the Village of Suring and part of the farm is now
to the village.
Nelson family lived in this
log cabin until the year 1900 then built one wing of the present
home and moved into it.
son Franz Nelson married
the former Matilda Hansen of Oconto in May, 1900. He and his new bride
moved into the log cabin where they lived until 1905, when they built a
new home. This house, which was enlarged in 191fi, and the property
now includes part of the MaVaGoCo Golf Course was owned by Franz Nelson
until 1945 when it was sold to Frank Saletri.
spread rapidly from the
burning cigar shop and completely destroyed Liberty Hall as well as
Zingler's Furniture Store to the east of it, and a store located where
the bank now stands. This store was being operated at the time by
Deeringer and William Thielke.
the west of Liberty Hall,
and on the present grocery store department site of the Suring Farmers
Mercantile Company, John Dieck had built a fire-proof hardware store.
building, in spite of the fact that the fire ruined it badly, stopped
destructive flames from spreading further westward along the street.
residents of the village
organized a bucket brigade, but they were practically helpless in
the flames, in their attempt to save the village. A volunteer fire
with John Dieck as its first chief, had been organized that same year.
And, a pumper had been purchased and was on its way from the factory to
the village. But that was of no help to the fire-fighters on the
of January 30,1908.
the fire had claimed its
share of the buildings and the debris had been cleared away, work was
on rebuilding the destroyed area. John Dieck rebuilt his hardware
the present grocery department of the Farmer's Mercantile Company. The
present building housing the dry goods department of the same company
Liberty Hall. It was built by Matt Wagner, Senior. Jim Johnson replaced
the cigar shop with a fireproof structure known as the Klondike. On the
corner of the block, the present bank building was erected by William
in 1908. And in the same year, he organized and incoporated the Suring
State Bank, of which he was elected cashier.
& Mrs. Franz Nelson
- May 30.1900
Nelson was the first milk
man in Suring in the early 1900's. He would haul the milk into town in
large cans on the back of a wagon. He would ring a small bell and
would come out of their homes with containers and Mr. Nelson would fill
the containers with milk from the milk cans. Later he put the milk in
and brought it into the village and sold it.