Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
is exclusively for the FREE access of individual researchers.
may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links to this site.
SURING SCHOOL DISTRICT LOCAL
to the Oconto County Home Page
pine was a chief industry
in northern Wisconsin during its early days of settlement. After all
forests along the bag area near Oconto had been logged off, the loggers
were forced to move farther inland to find new forest areas to cut.
places built up
along the rivers. Here little communities developed to serve the needs
of the early logging industry. It was at one of these stopping off
that the community of Mountain had its beginning.
Mountain had its geological
genesis in the pre-Cambrian age, it was not really born until an
pioneer, Tom McAllan, settled there about a mile west of the present
on the North Branch of the Oconto River. The year was 1877, just 20
before the coming of the railroad. This stopping place was commonly
"Jab Switch" and it was here that the teams were kept for hauling
to hungry loggers and the "river hogs" working in the woods.
settlers were welcomed and
the settlement was on its way to becoming a permanent community. In
James Hines, a Civil War veteran, settled nearby. The
year, Fred Bartz arrived
living in an abandoned 1" camp which had been used for a school house.
Along with McAllan's six children, the population continued to grow.
first child, Alice was the first white child born in Mountain.
was inevitable that Mountain
would develop into a lumbering town as it was situated amid some of
finest forest land. As the young lumberjacks arrived, Mountain
to grow. By 1884 the first school house was erected. Built of logs, it
was graced with a cupola and a shining bell.
Baldwin, who worked a
store in Maple Valley, heard of the lumbering potentials in Mountain.
traveled to the area in 1889 by stagecoach. That year he opened a store
along the stagecoach line and did a rushing business selling supplies
the big lumbering companies ofHoltandGilkey.
store became the social
center of town, with town folk setting around the big stove and
news. Store hours were from 7 A.M. to 9 P.M., seven days a week. The
store sold clothing and necessities to the men on their way to the
camps. Many loggers slept on the floor of the store for a night.
Lutheran Church on April
9. 1909. This group had gathered together to honor the confirmation of
the group sitting in the lower right hand corner. The confirmation
included Nels Stromberg, Anna Coleman Saffran. Clara Lundquist, Annie
Christina Johnson and Hildred Asplund. The pastor was Eric Bowman who
site of the store led to
the locality of the town. At this time Harry Baldwin donated land for
Tabor Lutheran church which was completed in 1908. In 1897 a new school
was built in the residential area. The old building was sold to the
Woodman's Association. All this depended on the stage coach line
through the center of this new settlement. Beautiful homes began to
west of the business seciton, and were so fine in structure the road
known as "Wall Street".
owners of some of these
homes were Harry Baldwin, Thomas Rasmussen, Sever Anderson, Albert
and Walter Kingston.
residential area of Mountain
in the early 1900's. Named "Wall Street" because of the many fine homes
constructed there, it is now County Trunk W.