Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the FREE access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links to this site.



SURING SCHOOL DISTRICT LOCAL HISTORY
1979
Page 20
Page 21


Index Page

Back to the Oconto County Home Page


.Looking down at Mountain from School House Hill during the early 1900's.
As time passed, more of the big lumbering companies moved into the area. Along with Holt Lumber Company were the Oconto Company and the Pendleton and Gilkey Co. Mountain had found a fine industry at its back door.
The site of the business'office of Pendleton and Gilkey Lumber Company later became the general store now known as the Mountain stop. Due to the pressure of the lumber companies, the railroad came through, by-passing the entire town of Mountain. In reality, the business section was a victim of a "slide", as it had its beginnings at the place now occupies by the Lutheran Church. Gradually, the business area simply slid toward the busy railroad which was laid in 1897.
This building was first used as an office for the Pendleton and Gilkey Lumber Company. It was then made into a store by Herb Baldwin and was later taken over by Thomas Rasmussen. Today it is called "The Mountain Stop.".