Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
is exclusively for the FREE access of individual researchers.
may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links to this site.
SURING SCHOOL DISTRICT LOCAL
to the Oconto County Home Page
Savage's Pioneer Saloon. Built
around 1903, it was >cated where Haase's Bar now stands.
other principal saloon during
the early 1900's was owned by Sven Olson. The building is presently
by the Nicolet Hotel. It seems the Irish, Germans, and Poles preferred
Mat Savage's bar and the Swedes met at Sven Olson's bar. When they
trouble often brewed and Sven was afraid that his building would be
To save himself worry and the cost of repairs, Olson would simply move
his bar outside onto the main street. It was there that lumberjacks
of the early settlers in
Mountain were Scandinavian as the names of Stromberg, Olson, Anderson,
and Jensen would indicate. However, other European countries were also
represented in Mountain's early history as the Baldwins came from
and Fred Bartz came from Germany in 1886.
the forests were no longer
able to support the logging industries, new ways of making a living
aboXx A slight depression in the 1920's brought more farmers, by 1926 a
local cheese factory had 62 customers. About the same time it also had
a broom factory and vats for pickles for the Gillett Pickle Factory.
pickle factory bought beans and pickles from local gardeners tor lit
depression of the 1930's
brought the CCC camps to the Mountain area. One camp was located at
Lake and another was situated at the present day site of Bowman's
pit. The government hired the men, who occupied these camps, to start
the pine that had been almost completely cut down. Each camp had about
200 occupants plus the people it took to run the Camp. The CCC Camp men
also helped to build roads, but they are mainly responsible for the
beautiful plantations growing in the Mountain area today.
Mountain "shifted" from a
logging community to an area interested in developing farms and
so did its cultural interests. From 1917 to 1927 people in the Mountain
area held an annual fair to display the products of the year's efforts
in many tasks. The event was named "The Intertownship Fair" and was
by the people from the townships of Armstrong, Riverview and Doty.
were set up in the school house and prizes were offered to the best
in such areas as education, farm products, domestic accomplishments and
few years later additions
were put on the the school house on the north and south sides. This is
still the same building that remains in use today, except for the
room which was added in 1961. The building was used for both elementary
and high school classes until 1948. After that, students from the
area attended high school in Suring and only grades Kindergarten
grade 8 use the present building.
saloons in the early legging
towns were the main source of relaxation and recreation for the tough,
pleasure-hungry loggers. After a log drive was over, the men would come
into town to enjoy a break from their hard work.
of the first saloons in
Mountain was named "The Mat Savage Pioneer Saloon". This building stood
where Haases Bar is now located and was later torn down.
year the fair grew in the
kinds of events that were offered. Dinner was served in the school
Entertainment consisted of speeches by local and county officials.
and dances in the evening highlighted the event. In 1925 the fair
advertised music by an orchestra and moving pictures. The 10th
of the fair was held in 1927, but the depression brought an end to the
also had an experience
with the Ku Klux Klan when it was nationally powerful back in the
In November of 1924 a Klan meeting was held at Mountain with nearly
people in attendance. The gathering took place at the town hall with
attending from the neighboring Marinette, Shawano and Marathon counties.
30 or more Klansmen were
in attendance, dressed in white robes, but not masked. A 6 o'clock
with singing and prayers, was held in the town hail. During an outdoor
program, later in the evening, a fiery cross illuminated the scene. The
affair closed with the initiation of 70 or 80 members.
its scant population
of 200, Mountain's young men have contributed greatly to protecting our
country during wars. During World War II the high school basketball
was cancelled because most of its players had enlisted. Mountain and
nearbv areas has given up eight of its sons whose lives were lost in
10 their country. This tragic total includes Lynn Elliott Dunlap.
B. Jameson, Albert Zitske, Lyle B. Frost, Delbert L. Bartz, George
Richard Sandberg and Kenneth Nelson.
is now a community
of about 50 per cent retired people who either came here long ago and
left or who had been here once and decided to come back. The forests of
the area still provide an income for loggers, but Mountain's wooded
now cater to the tourist and the recreation-minded. It is well-equipped
to do so with its green forests and beautiful lakes and streams. As
of the old timers around Mountain say, "Once you've been to Mountain,
always come back..