Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
is exclusively for the FREE access of individual researchers.
may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links to this site.
SURING SCHOOL DISTRICT LOCAL
to the Oconto County Home Page
settlement of Frostville
was named for A.C. Frost who arrived in the area in 1875. Remembered as
a promoter, it w^s Frost who opened the first general store which later
became the Frostville post office. Mail in the 1870's came once a month
from Oconto, and after the railroad cam« to Lena it arrived
(Frost was also instrumental'in the early development of the Mountain
early settlers in Frostville
included Severine Johnson, Magnus and August Arveson, Henry Johnson
be confused with the Henry Johnson from the town of How), and A.
of Frostville proper was
Magnus Arveson's stopping place, a hostelry situated along the Old
Branch Road which was a well-traveled stagecoach route from Oconto to
The Arvesons settled in Maple Valley in 1871, the year of the Peshtigo
fire. It is told that the smoke from the great fire was so dense in the
air, that lamps were burned continuously day and night. Lumberjacks on
their way to the camps were the most frequent stoppers. A story is told
that one spring two camps broke up simultaneously and, in an effort to
get a place at the Arveson's dining table, some hungry jacks climbed
Arveson would bake her
bread at night, and in order to keep from falling asleep while the
was rising, she would rest her head on a large block of wood. If she
drift into a deep sleep and subsequently fall, she was awakened by
her head on the floor.
Arveson place was built
so that freight wagons could pull into a long shed where the cargo
be unloaded in a protected place from the inclement weather.
the Magnus Arveson place
stood August Arveson's general store. Trees in a field now belonging to
Chester Arveson mark the former site of the store. August also had a
store in the present Lawrence Rupiper residence.
Maple Valley House in Frostville
proper was the scene of much social activity from 1876 until the late
Built by A. Gregerson. it was later sold to Mike Peterson, a most
landlord. The Maple Valley House was the site of the one and only
in the township of Maple Valley and today Maple Valley is the only
township in the county.
popular attraction at the
Maple Valley House was a pet bear which belonged to Mr. Peterson. He
the bear would stage mock wrestling matches for the spectators. The
however, soon tired of the constant teasing he received from adults and
children as well, and after being so angered, broke Mr. Peterson's arm
with one swift swipe of his mighty paw. The bear was soon left loose to
forage on his own.
Johnson owned a wagon
making and blacksmith shop located near the present Knaack farm. Though
Johnson owned the wagon shop, he himself was not a wagon maker. John
was hired to build and repair the wagons.
a few years in Frostville,
Johnson joined the rush to Dakotaland, journeying west with his small
in a covered wagon. After three years on the prairie, however, he moved
back to Frostville in 1889. While many families were still living in
houses, Johnson made boast of owning the only wooden frame house on the
prairie. The land for the Frostville school and cemetery was donated by
Johnson. The first person to be buried in the cemetery was Johnson's
who died at an early age.
blacksmith shop was later
owned by Josh Chef f ings and later yet by Peter Buchburger. A wooden
stood in front of the shop, in which oxen were hoisted up and shod.
first Frostville school,
originally a small log cabin, was built in 1878. Later wooden siding
put on the building. It was replaced by the present brick school that
stands today. Miss Annie Volk of Oconto Falls was the first teacher,
by Nellie Bellew. One outstanding figure to play an important part in
county's educational program was Ellen B. McDonald, who attended the
school and later held the position of County school superintendent for
timber had been cleared
and farms started to thrive in the wilderness, a cooperative was
and a creamery was erected on the site of the present Robert Frank
Pat Murphy was the first person hired to operate the creamery. Later
a cheese factory was started in one wing of the Maple Valley House,
church was organized
May 12, 1894, and at the time of its origin was known as the Maple
Scandinavian Free Church. In 1895 the church joined forces with the
District of Congregational Church and until 1946, was known as Maple
Congregational Church. Early church records show that while adults
regular morning worship services, the children were taken to the Suring
depot where Sunday School classes were held. The church is now known as
the Maple Valley Community Church.
word came that a railroad
was coming through this part of the county, Frostville residents had
that the track would pass through their village. Much to their
the swampland that is now Suring was chosen, and with Swing's building
boom, Frostville almost "bit the dust".
no signs "Welcome to
Frostville" are in existence, the name still remains in the memories of
efforts built a
Creamery in Frostville in the late 1870's.