Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
is exclusively for the FREE access of individual researchers.
may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links to this site.
SURING SCHOOL DISTRICT LOCAL
to the Oconto County Home Page
.The land on which Suring
stands was homsteaded by George Vert (part of Section 12) on July 1,
and by William Guns on October 24,1881. Mr. Guns abandoned his claim to
the land and on December n, 1890 August Krueger claimed it. The
half of Suring was not begun until the year of 1896 when the railroad
The State of Wisconsin had granted
of land of the North ><fe of the NW'4 of Section 13 to
the Chicago and
Northwestern Railroad prior to 1876. Joe Suring bought the land from
Walker Pheips for the sum of $215.00 on November 14,1882.
Much of the land around Suring and
granted .to early settlers for the purpose of farming or creating
of people. Many times we find a settlement of German immigrants, as in
the case of Haves or Town of How. On the other side of Suring or in the
Town of Mapie Valley, Danish and Norwegian people settled. "To the
around Mountain the Swedish immigrants settled. The Breed area was
by immigrants from Denmark, Ireland and Germany.
It was not until December 1914 that
of Suring applied to the Circuit Court of Oconto County for an order of
incorporation as a village. Up until this time, it had been a Dart of
Town of How. On December 22.1914
the court granted the order under
of W.B. 3 Quinlan, Circuit Judge. The electors accepted and approved
order on January 19. 1915 and on February 16; 1915 the first village
was held and the following officers were elected to direct the affairs
and conduct the business of the new village: W.J. Thielke, President;
Serier, Supervisor: L.J. LaCourt! Clerk; W.F.P. Wagner. Treasurer; A.E.
Suring, Justice of the Peace: John F. Schuster, Constable; John Dieck,
Trustee; George W. Gisch. Trustee: Wm. Zingler, Trustee; Herman
Trustee; C.L. Von Haden. Trustee; O.H. Zahn. Trustee; Robert Yakel.
THE RAILROAD IS BUILT
In 1896 the Chicago and North
was built through Suring. At that time very few buildings stood on the
present village site. They were the August Krueger shanty which stood
the location of the present Chester Schuettpelz home, a partially
barn constructed of cedar logs on the same site, a lumber shed just
of the Allan DePuydt residence, a vacant store building on the Joe
dwelling site, the present Bernard Anker dwelling, the Joe Suring home
and sawmill and the Mathias Wagner mill.