Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
is exclusively for the FREE access of individual researchers.
may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links to this site.
SURING SCHOOL DISTRICT LOCAL
to the Oconto County Home Page
Store (1887) served as
the Hickory Post Office and telephone exchange.
first white settler was
Mr. Robert Grignon about 1856. He settled on Grignon Lake. The first
was built on the south east shore of Grignon Lake.
got its name from a Mr.
Hayes, who was the first to drive logs on the Hayes Brook before 1879.
There were two dams on the Hayes Brook and one close to Grignon Lake.
Scummers had a dam west
of Elm Road, on the Pecor Brook, which was used to operate his grist
was a furniture store
which stood west of the Hayes Brook.
were post offices at Hayes,
Linzy Brook and Pecor.
Hayes school, built in 1883,
was the first school in the Town of How. The next public school
was the Grignon school, then the Linzy Brook school, Town Line school
the Buhrandt school on St. John Road. The Catholic cemetery was started
in 1885. Herman Yakel settled in the town of How about 1871. He and his
wife, Wilhelmina, homesteaded on the farm now owned by Harold Dickson,
located one half mile east of Hayes, on County Trunk M. The abandoned
and other buildings still remain standing on the site. The house was
of logs, then later it was covered with siding.
John Holl came to Hayes
in 1879, he forded the river just below the forks, and went up the big
hill. He built a sawmill on the present Otto farm. He later built a
store in Hayes.
Hayes Evangelical Church
was built in 1888. Some of the members were: the Bill Strehlow, Robert
Yake!, Jr., and Herzog families, Clara Gerndt, Russell Wicke and -Emma
Alien. This church, located diagonally across to the south of Str.
Church, was sold and torn down and its members joined the Suring
Evangelical Church - 1888