Another important pioneer family was the Johnsons. Mr. and Mrs. John P. Johnson came by stage to Frost-ville, obtaining a horse and buggy from a man by the name of Gregerson to make the rest of the trip to Breed. They had to cross the North Branch, about one half mile south of the present Suring bridge. Mr. Gregerson warned them not to drown the horse; it seemed as though he was only worrying about the horse, their safety didn't mean so much. They settled on a homestead January 1, 1880, and built a log cabin. The old farm is still there, now the property of Marvin School, but the tog cabin is gone and so is a house which followed. The second house was torn down in 1961. School lives in the third home to be erected on the property.
Johnson used oxen to clear the land for his homestead. He "proved up" and received his deed May 12,1888, when Grover Cleveland was President. John P. Johnson donated one acre of land to the Town of Breed for a cemetery and was the first one to be buried in it. He only lived 10 years after moving there.
Mr. and Mrs. John P. Johnson had one child, a daughter Mary, born in 1885. She was the first white child born in and around Breed. Mary Johnson married Jonas Hamberg and lived her entire life in Breed. They lived on the family homestead until the early 1940's when they moved to a house west of Emmanuel Lutheran Church. Her son John Hamberg and his wife now reside in this house. It formerly was the home of the Breed blacksmith, August Elfe, the last of several blacksmiths in Breed.
Nels Johnson, half-brother to
John P. Johnson, was born in Denmark on February 6,1860. Early in the
of 1880, he came to Seymour and lived with relatives. He then
came to Breed to locate near his brother John. Due to the 35 fact that he was only 20 years old, he had to take out preemption papers on the land until he became of age. In 1882 he filed claims for his homestead of 80 acres. He married Sena Goltermann, also of Denmark, in 1885. ; The Indian trails were their highways until the years ''1882 and 1883, when the main highway (32) was laid out. In the northern part of what is now Breed, the land was very low so they fixed a courduroy road of trees. These trees were cut off the southwest corner of the Nels Johnson homestead, which is now the site of Larry's Logan Inn, formerly the Half Acre.
Another of the Johnson brothers,
Christ, was born in Denmark about 1857. He came to Breed when he was 23
years of age. He took out preemption papers on 160 acres of land, but
take to farming, so he did not qualify for the homestead. That farm was
later known as the Huntley farm, now owned by Leonard Heise. Christ
moved away to Oconto.
The general store in Breed had its beginning in 1899 when August Kuehl built it to capture some of the Indian trade as well as that of the local people. It was sold to a John Johnson and then, in 1938 to the late Ponsegrau. Mrs. Ponsegrau still occupies the living quarters in the back of the store. John Ponsegrau's grandfather, Peter, had come to the region in 1890. John's father, Edward farmed in the town of Breed for many years.
The North Star Hotel and tavern was built in 1898. It was purchased in 1900 by William Flynn Sr. Bill was able to get the North Star at a favorable price because, it is said, the former owner, a small man named Nelson, was unable to handle the Indian trade. Since Breed is only three miles from the Menominee Reservation, much of the tavern trade came from the Indians. When the Indians of those days imbibed too freely, they would delight in taking the small owner and throwing him out. But when Bill took it over, that element of their fun was gone. Bill was a big husky woodsman and nobody ever threw him out. The Flynns have operated taverns in the town of Breed for many years. James Flynn still runs his father's old stand, and the late Bill Flynn,' Jr's. establishment on the corner of highway 32 and AA is operated by his son, Louis "Corky" Flynn.
Time has not stolen too fiercely
from the Breed of old. Although most of its young people either leave
commute to other communities to work, it is still not much changed. Its
population remains approximately the same, despite the exodus of the
people. A good resort area, with plenty of fish and game, it attracts
a resident who comes to semi-retirement.