Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the FREE access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links to this site.



SURING SCHOOL DISTRICT LOCAL HISTORY
1979
Page 4
To Page 5


Index Page

Back to the Oconto County Home Page


.In 1880 the highway was made passable. The Oconto River was spanned by a wooden bridge and the timbers and lumber used were hewn into shape by axmen.
The highway was often wet and soft, which made traffic very difficult, so a long courduroy was made from the west side of section 12 and 13 - then east 14 miles. The main street through the village lies midway between the equator and the north pole.
In the year of 1882, Joe Suring built a saw mill on what was known as the Suring Mill Island. In 1883. Suring built the house that was fast lived in by Manley Hanson. This house stood on the property which is now used for the Suring Park on the Oconto River.
The first white child born in the Village of Suring was A.E. Suring in 1885. He later became Justice of the Peace of the village in 1917.
Suring's first bridge.
Surmg's first hotel, built in 1896.