Prior to the building of the Suring School, children had to walk up the hill to attend classes in the Hayes School which is now the Hayes Community Building.
lt was not until 1903 that it was thought necessary for Suring to have an educational system of its own. The first meeting of the present school district was held on April 20, 1903 to elect officers and to procure a suitable site for a school building. At this meeting over which Christ Daniels presided, they chose as school board members, Harry F. Smith as Clerk, John Dieck as Treasurer and Cornelius Serier as Director. They also voted to raise $391.00 for maintaining the school. Mr. Dieck served continuously as school treasurer from 1903 until July 1928 when he refused to accept the office again.
Almost immediately a purchase of land was made from Louis Rollman, although through some flaw in the title it was necessary later to make a similar purchase from the former owner. A one room brick schoolhouse was soon erected.
Miss Ella Hanson was the first teacher to take charge in this little brick schoolhouse. At that time teachers were paid $40 per month and had to make sure the fire was going every morning and that there was plenty of drinking water on hand. The school year began on October 4, 1903, with the following students: Roy Dieck, Carrie Dieck Winger, William Nelson, Meta Giese Stuewer and Clara Grunnewaldt Wilson.
By 1908 the growth of Suring demanded an addition to the building, so a second story was added. The first teachers to occupy the two-room school were Kate Taylor as principal and upper grade teacher at a salary of $45 per month and Caroline Krause as lower grade teacher who was paid $40 a month.
Later in 1913 the eastern section
of the building was added. The larger assembly hall with the science
the lavatories and furnace room beneath was built in 1938. A gymnasium,
shower rooms and two classrooms were added in 1950. Four classrooms, an
office aw! an Ag. Shop were added to the west side of the building m
In 1960 an extensive addition was made which included seven additional
classrooms, offices, two sc i net-labs, a library, a cafeteria and
In 1962 a new gym, the music rooms and Industrial Arts Shop were added