Back to the Oconto County Home Page
TABOR LUTHERAN CHURCH - MOUNTAIN
Tabor Lutheran Church was organized in 1904 as the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church. At first, worship services were held in the homes of the members, but it was soon decided to begin work on a church building. Construction began in the spring of 1908, and the building was completed in September of that year.
During this time, some Danes and Norwegians had also been admitted to membership in the congregation, so the name of the church was changed, and in 1909 the congregation was incorporated as the Independent Scandinavian Lutheran Church. The charter members were: John Sandberg, Lars Stromberg, Peter Andrew Olson, Carl Friedland, Anton Stromgren, Nels Sandberg, Mitchell Stromberg, Mitchell Larson, Jacob Coleman, Ofaf Lundquist, August Friedland, Anders Olson, and G. Friedland.
The congregation joined the Augustana Synod in 1914, and the church was rededicated as Tabor Evangelical Lutheran Church. In 1958, the congregation severed its connection with the Augustana Synod and became a free church until 1967 when it joined "The Lutheran Church -Missouri Synod.
Over 400 people attended the dedication services for the new church building on Sunday, April 29,1979.
ST. MICHAEL'S CATHOLIC CHURCH
St. Michael's Catholic Parish was incorporated on April 12, 1906 with William Duaine and Valentine Dieringer as the first trustees. The new parish, consisting of forty-five families and one hundred twenty children, was served by Fr. John Loerke of Laona, Wisconsin, with services being held in Liberty Hall.
After the Suring fire of 1908 destroyed Liberty Hall, the congregation purchased the old village hall from W. J. Thielke for $1000. This served as their church until 1912 when the present church was erected.
When St. John's Catholic Church of Gillett became a resident parish in 1907, St. Michael's at Suring was made a mission charge and was serviced by St. John's pastor, Fr. Otto Koldb. Succeeding pastors serving St. Michaels include Fr. James H. Schmitt, Fr, Theodore S. Kolbe, Fr. Roland Ahearn, Fr. George M. Weix and Fr. Richard Keller.
On September 3, 1946 St. Michaels became a resident parish with the Reverend Abner Laque as its first pastor,. Fr. Laque occupied the upper flat of the Melvin Schuster residence until the new church parsonage was completed for occupancy in March 1948.
Shortly after the incorporation of St. Michael's parish in 1906, St. Ann's Altar Society was organized with Mrs. Anna Ederer Yakel as president. The first church organist was Miss Mayme Stengel.
William J. Stengel of Suring was ordained into the priesthood on June 1,1957 and celebrated his first solemn mass at St. Michael's the following day.
St. Michael's Chapel at Chute
Pond was built due to the ever increasing number of Catholic families
land and building cottages on or near Anderson Lake and Chute Pond.
was held on August 14, 1966 during the pastorate of Fr.