The oldest church denomination of the Village of Suring is the Methodist congregation. This congregation was organized in 1895 in the Joe Armstrong farm home which was located across the road from the Charles Schimmel farm, now the Alvin Buhrandt place. The charter members of this congregation were Mr. and Mrs. Joe Armstrong, Mr. and Mrs. Ben Armstrong, Mr. and Mrs. Herman Dieck, Miss Anna Manalie, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Johnson, Mr. and Mrs. Charles P, Schimmel, Mr. and Mrs. Ede Raymond, Mr. and Mrs. H.W. Gilkey and Mr. and Mrs. Frank Dowen. The first minister to serve the Methodist people was Rev. E.D. Upson who came from Oneida and held services in the Hayes school.
In 1903 the present Methodist church building was erected. It is the oldest church building in the village. For several years the congregation was served by ministers who resided in Hickory. In 1923/24 a parsonage was built in town and the church had its first resident pastor, the Reverend John W. Horton who moved here from Hickory.
The Evangelical United Brethern
Church of Hayes was sold and the congregation joined to Suring
congregation in June of 1967. The bell from the E.U.B. church in Hayes
was placed at the Suring church as a memorial to the late Clara Gerndt
and Mrs. Mary Suring in 1970. The bell was originally donated to the
church in the late 1880's by Herman and Mary Hankwitz, early