The Maple Valley Community Church
was organized in 1894. At that time it was known as the Scandinavian
Church and later the Congregational Church.
Some of the early founders were August Arveson, Gust Maxie, Soren Peterson and Helga Peterson.
Some of the early pastors were
S.M. Anderson, Andrew Anderson, J. Peterson, Rev. Molind, Rev. Hougiand
and E, Westhouse. The present pastor is Rev. Finley.
In 1977 the church was given a face-lifting which included the addition of a basement and a new front lobby.
TRINITY EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH MAPLE VALLEY
The beginning of Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church dates back to the year 1875. The first regular service, of which there is any record, was conducted by the Rev. P. Thorlaksson on the 14th Sunday after Trinity in that year. On the 2nd Sunday in Advent, groups of Lutheran Christians of Norwegian and Swedish extraction banded themselves together as a congregation, to be known as the Scandinavian Evangelical Lutheran Church of Maple Valley. The preliminary declaration of purpose was signed by the following individuals: Aaron Olson, Magnus Arveson, John Ericsson, Morten Hanson, Thorger Hansen, Gustav Erickson, Daniel Cederblade and John Johnson. Somewhat later a formal constitution was adopted, and the following additional names were added to the rosters: Lars Slang, Hans Peterson and Severin Johnson. On December 8, 1876, the congregation was formally incorporated. The articles of incorporation were signed by P. Thorlaksson as pastor, and John Ericsson, Aaron Olson and Lars Slang as trustees.
The first church building was erected in 1887 on land donated to the congregation by Mr. and Mrs. Herman Sorenson. Prior to this, services had been conducted in homes and school buildings.
In the spring of 1935 plans for a new church building materialized. A building committee consisted of Martin Olson, A.C. Arveson and Trovell Hanson was formed. Land for the new building was donated by Hans Slang. The cornerstone was laid on September 29, 1935. The building is 30' x 60' and of brick and tile construction. Construction amounted to $6500.
Trinity pastors and their terms
are as follows: P. Thorlaksson (1875-1878). G.H. Amid (1878-1883), J.N.
Bergh (1883-1887), E.T. Scharping (1887-1896), J.P. Bugge (1896-1925),
S.L. Thompson (1925-1930), J.P. Dragseth (1930-1933), H.P. Westmeyer
M.R. Sasman (1953-1959), E.L. Wendling (1960-1963), W.A. Chellew
and F.E. Gogolin is the present pastor.