Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
is exclusively for the FREE access of individual
* No profit
may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links to this site.
SURING SCHOOL DISTRICT LOCAL
to the Oconto County Home Page
building was at one time
divided by a stairway in the center, with a furniture store on the
hand side. The front portion on the other side was used as Suring's
funeral home, with Mr. Nelson's cigar factory in the rear. The upstairs
contained a small dressmaking shop and living quarters.
Suring State Bank opened
for business in February of 1909. The first officers were P.J. Martin,
president; Harry Serier, vice president; and W.J. Thielke, cashier.
Opera House, with store space
below, was added to the Groninger Hotel in 1909.
Giese built the Suring
Creamery in 1906.
Johnson, prominent politician
and early settler in the Town of How, was state treasurer of Wisconsin
from 1912 to 1922.
of Standard Oil Products
began in Suring in 1910.
Oestreich built a new
harness shop next to Clara Gerndt's millinery shop and John Dieck built
a brick garage next to his hardware store in 1913.
December of 1914, the residents
of Suring applied to the Circuit Court of Oconto County for an order of
incorporation as a village. The electors accepted and approved the
order on January 19,1915.
Colburn Lumber and Fuel
Company was organized in 1917, and a lumber shed and office building
constructed on the present Muehl-Ehlinger Lumber Company site.
1917, H.P. Sorenson put up
a brick automobile garage next to his blacksmith shop.
Delco lighting system was
installed in the village hall in 1919.
first paper, the Oconto
County Chronicle, was printed in Suring in 1912.
village secured a hard-surfaced
pavement for main street in 1912. *
& Mathy's meat
market was built in 1922.
Ehlinger and Harold Muehl
built a sawmill in 1926. In 1927 they bought out the lumber shed and
of the Barker Lumber and Fuel Company near the depot.
Reisner opened a gasoline
station in 1926 next to the Sorenson garage.
Arveson and Herman Dieck
opened the present Bob's Mobile station in 1926.
1924 Bill Detert opened the
"Dew Drop Inn" dining room.
the inauguration of President
Herbert Hoover in 1929, the Suring Hardware set up an Atwater Kent
so that students could hear, for the first time, the voice of a
1929 Professor George Glass
opened a music store in the present Stengel warehouse building.
1922 the American Legion
Post at Suring started an annual fall harvest festival that later grew
into Suring's Labor Day Parade.
railroad section house was
destroyed by fire in 1931. The Gehling-Munson filling station opened in
1936. Arno Moede began showing free weekly Wednesday night movies in
village hall in 1937.
Papeopened a sausage
manufacturing plant and butchershop in 1940.
Suring Bank enlarged its
quarters in 1941.
Bogsted started his electric
shop in 1941.
Zingler Funeral Home and
Furniture Store was taken over by Albert Soulek in 1941.
lumber shed and other outbuildings
of the Muehl-Ehlinger Lumber Company were destroyed by fire in 1942.
new lumber shed was built in 1948 and the new office was built in 1949.
tennis court, donated by
the Suring Farmers Mercantile Company, was constructed in 1945. The
shell in the park was built the same year.
Valentine built an up-to-date
bowling alley on main street in 1945. This building was destroyed by
a few years ago.
Bertch built the theatre
1950, the railroad company
discontinued passenger service into Suring.
and Arlene McDermid started
a restaurant business in 1951.
old village hall and fire
house, on the east end of town, were dismantled in 1956. A new village
hall and fire house was erected across from the post office.
Memline Corporation came
to Suring in 1960 and provides jobs for many people throughout the area.
1962 the General Telephone
Company installed the dial system in Suring and the surrounding
Suring depot was dismantled
Station WRVM went on the
air on September 15, 1967.
changes have taken place
in the village of Surine during the 70's. Many new homes have
built. primarily thru the annexation of land on the north east corner
now has a new health
clinic, two housing projects, a new municipal building, and bathroom
at the park.
businesses include: Larry's
Bowling Lanes on Peshtigo Brook Road, Johnson's Mobil Court on the
site of the Muehl-Ehlinger Lumber Company sawmill. Barber's Package
Market on east Main Street, Polies Diner on west Main Street. Near
Homes, and the Golden Razor.
31, 1973 is an important
date in Suring's history. After a 50-car motorcade from Austin Straubel
Field to the Suring city limits. Captain Gerald Gerndt and his parents,
Mr. and Mrs. Ellsworth Gerndt, were transferred to a convertible for a
ride down Main Street. Over 1,000 persons lined the street to welcome
Gerndt home and present him with POW bracelets engraved with his name.
Captain Gerndt had boon a Prisoner of War in North Viet Nam for five
one half years.