County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
is exclusively for the FREE access of individual researchers.
may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links
to this site.
Old Scrapbook articles that have no date
short articles are posted in the hopes of adding otherwise unknown aspects
to family histories. They contain numerous individual names and describe
the everyday life activities in Oconto County, Wisconsin's, past.
Researched, transcribed and contributed by
Richard La Brosse
1947 Oconto Falls—Charles Coopman, who has been a barber
here for 44 years, sold his business to John Kemka of Milwaukee and expects
to retire. He has moved to his home on the corner of Caldwell and
Adams streets, and Kempka has taken possession of the shop. Coopman
worked as a barber at Oconto and Peshtigo before coming to Oconto
Falls in 1903. He was born on a farm in Brown county December 20,
1875 and 49 years ago came with his parents to this community and settled
on a farm. He was a charter member of the fire department and remained
a member 40 years before resigning two years ago. He is a member
of the Holy Name society of St. Anthony’s Catholic church. His two
sons, Chester and Gerald, live with him.
1947 Oconto Falls—Miss Annabelle Lee, Oconto Falls,
is enrolled as a freshman in Evanston Collegiate Institute, Evanston Ill.
This is a liberal arts junior college where a fourth of the students are
preparing for full time Christian service. Sixteen states and five
foreign countries, Uruguay, Argentine, Korea, Hawaii and Palestine, are
represented in the student body in one of the largest enrollments ever
recorded at the college. Miss Lee graduated from the Oconto Falls
high school last spring.
1947 Oconto Falls—Twenty four out of the 45 Oconto
Falls high school graduates in 1932 held a reunion at the Lilac club Saturday
evening. Prizes were awarded to Mr. and Mrs. Byron Foster, who have
the largest family; Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Magnin, for having been married
the longest, and to mr. and Mrs. Willard Dobbertin, for coming the longest
distance to attend the reunion. Plans were made to meet again in
1952. Mrs. Henry Funk and Mrs. Elmer Magnin, the former Melba Johnson,
and Ruth Kilmer are the co-chairmen and Mildred Rumph Bauman, secretary.
1947 Oconto Falls—The first meeting of the year for
the Oconto Falls Woman’s club was a dinner Monday evening at Grace Lutheran
church served by the Ladies Aid of the church. The meeting was presided
over by the president, Mrs. Wilfred Larson. Other members of the
executive board for the coming year are Mrs. R.L. Greene, vice president;
Mrs. M. Wingrove, secretary; Mrs. Hugo Schmidt, treasurer. Mrs. Larson
announced the following committee personnel for the coming year:
Program, Mrs. A.J. Luth, Mrs. Donald McIllree, Mrs. Norman Kurtz and Mrs.
Norbert Kilmer; membership, Mrs. Martin Golden, Mrs. S. Johnson; music
chairman, Mrs. H. Kinyon; hostess chairman, Mrs. Henry Funk, assisted by
Mrs. Robert Johnson; Helen Mears Art contest chairman, Mrs. William Schroeder;
club pianist, Mrs. Emil Behling.
1947 Oconto Falls—Dr. Thomas N. Robinson, who
will open his office here Oct. 3, is the youngest of four physicians in
his family, his father and two brothers having preceded him in the medical
field. Five sisters, formerly nurses, all have married doctors.
Dr. Robinson is a native of Spokane, Wash. And attended Gonzaga university
in that city, took pre-medical work at the University of Oregon, and graduated
from Marquette university in Milwaukee in 1941. During the war he
served in the army medical corps for nearly four years, doing surgery in
an Atlantic seaboard sub-general receiving hospital for casualties.
He held the rank of major when discharged. The doctor’s father was
the late Dr. L.A. Robinson, a pioneer surgeon in the northwest. One
brother, the late Dr. Gilbert P. Robinson, passed away in 1928 while experimenting
with epidemic meningitis. The oldest brother, Dr. William W. Robinson,
is a veteran of both wars, and has now retired due to illness. The
Hayse building on Main Street will serve as an office in front and living
quarters in the rear for the new doctor and Mrs. Robinson and their two
children, Judith Ann and John. Mrs. Robinson is the former Miss Hildegrade
Suring of Suring. They were married in Milwaukee in 1939.
to the Oconto County Home Page