Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


 Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by  RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links
to this site.


HISTORIC OCONTO COUNTY CHURCHES
Wisconsin

Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by  RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links
to this site.



HISTORIC OCONTO COUNTY CHURCHES

 align=

Do you have photos and/or celebration booklets about other historic Oconto County churches and congregations? To expand this page and help family researchers who are looking for these very important parts of their ancestors' lives, please contact RITA. Your contibution to this posting is deeply appreciated by many.

Oconto County Lumberman
November 27, 1869

There are now five churches and seven sabbathe schools in Oconto County.

Please click on the photos below for a full size view.




German Lutheran Church

 (aka)
Evangelical Lutheran Immanuel Church
501 Madison Street
(now 511)

City of Oconto
Click the button

for the church history page.


St. Wenceslaus Catholic  Church
Klondike
town of Brazeau

built in 1887.

Click the button

for the church history page


Mount Olive Evangelical Lutheran Church
Suring
Built 1925.

Click the button


for the church history page

St. Joseph of the Lake
South Branch
near Breed



Click the button


for the church history page.


Methodist Church
Sampson

Built 1908

Click the button


for the church history page


St. Mark Evangelical Lutheran Church - Spruce

Built 1892

Click the button


for the church history page

First Presbyterian -
city of Oconto

Click the button


for the church history page


Evangelical Lutheran Immanuel Church
 (aka)

German Lutheran Church
501 Madison Street
(now 511)

City of Oconto

Click the button

for the church history page



First Presbyterian Church of Coullardville

Built 1895

Click the button


for the church history page



Brookside Community Methodist Church and Hall


Click the button

for the church history page


 St John Cantius Catholic Church
Sobieski

1902 - 1952

contributed by Mike Brzezinski

Click the button

for the church history page



 originally St Leo

St Pius Catholic Church
Little Suamico

built 1902

Click the button

for the church history page.





St. Anthony Catholic Church - Oconto Falls


Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondeck

Click the button


for the church history page.


 

Country/Union Methodist Church of Abrams

contributed by Bob Reim

Click the button


for the church history page.

 

 Abrams German Methodist Episcopal Chrurch

contributed by Bob Reim
Built in 1883
Photo taken c: 1900

Click the button


for the church history page.

 


St. Peter's Catholic Church - Frenchtown (city of Oconto) 
Congregation organized in 1852. Built 1857.
Click the button

for the church history page.




The Methodist Church - Hickory

Sketch by Bette Rae Turner
contributed by:Rick Hidder
 
Click the button


for the church history page.

 Church of Christ - Hickory 

Click the button


for the church history page.



First French Presbyterian Church
Little River

was built in 1887.

contributed by:
Tina

Click the button

for the church history page.



Zion Swedish Lutheran Church of Mosling, town of Underhill.
 

Click the button

for the church history page.


The Methodist church
117 W. Harley Street
Lena.

1906
contributed by: Marcy Ostrander

Click the button

for the church history page.


St Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church - Oconto Falls 
1952
 Click the button

for the church history page.

Sacred Heart of Jesus
The "Little Church" of Spruce
was built in 1893. 

Click the button

for the church history page.

 
 

originally St. Cecilia
St. Joseph Catholic Church -
town of Chase
was built in 1912. 

Click the button

for the church history page.


St Paul Evangelical 
city of Oconto
.

Click the button

for the church history page.


Methodist Episcobal Church - Suring built in the late 1800's. The building still stands but services are held in a more recent structure.

Click the button

for the church history page.

Zion Lutheran Church
city of Oconto.

Click the button

for the church history page.

St. John's Lutheran Church - Hayes
being built in 1904. 

Click the button

for the church history page.

 


Evangelical Immanuel Lutheran Church - city of Oconto, was originally of German formation.
501 Madison Street
(now 511)

City of Oconto
Click the button

for the church history page.

Emmanuel Lutheran Church 
Breed

contributed by
 Bill Fonferek

St John The Evangelist
Catholic Church 
Gillett

built 1887

Click the button

for the church history page.


Originally named
"Swedish Evangelical Lutheran"
and the
 "Scandinavian Lutheran" Churches,
 
it is combined presently as

Tabor Lutheran Church
Mountain.

Click the button

for the church history page.

First Methodist Church
city of Oconto
.

 Click the button

for the church history page.


Trinity Lutheran Church -
Maple Valley,

built 1887.
The first congregation was made up of Norwegian and Swedish families and was called the Scandinavian Evangelical Lutheran Church. This building served the congregation until 1935.

St Joseph's Catholic Church - 
Frenchtown (city of Oconto)
.The original membership was German.

Click the button

for the church history page.


Trinity Lutheran Church -
city of Oconto
.
622 Madison St.

Click the button

for the church history page.




St. Mark's Episcobal Church -
city of Oconto.


Click the button


for the church history page.

St. Michael's Catholic Church - Suring,
built 1908

Click the button

for the church history page.

Emmanuel Evangelical United Brethren of Morgan

Built in 1885.  It replaced a log church.

Click the button

for the church history page.
 

St John Lutheran Church
Little Suamico
 built 1885. 

Click the button

for the church history page.


Christ Lutheran Church - 
Built in 1909 this building replaced the log church built in 1898. Organized as Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church in 1892.
Click the button

for the church history page.


St. Charles Church of Lena
Photo taken 1907


Click the button


for the church history page.
   

 Second Presbyterian Church
in city of Oconto was at Main and Ellis Ave. It was destroyed by fire in 1890 when nearby Fire Station #1 went ablaze. 


    


 Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church
Oconto Falls
(1939 - 1960)
originally
 St. Jacob's Lutheran Church
(1905 - 1939)
Corner of Cadwell and 408 Washington Streets
built 1905 and
 Zion (German) Lutheran Church 
Franklin and Union
Streets
established 1897 - 1939
(merged with St. Jacob's  in 1939)
No longer standing
Click the button

for the church history page.

St John Riverside Lutheran Church -  Wilhelmswald
5686 Highway 32
- town of Oconto Falls 2004

Click the button

for the church history page.


 

Oconto Falls Methodist Church
was organized in 1863 

Click the button

for the church history page.


 
 

Evangelical United Brethern Church - Hayes 

built in 1885. 

Click the button

for the church history page.



Christus Evangelical Lutheran Church
1877 - 1926
Pensaukee
Oconto County, Wisconsin

Click the button

for the church history page.


Zion Lutheran Church
Pensaukee
Destroyed by lightning

Click the button

for the church history page.


Immanuel Lutheran Church - Gillett
Built in 1885, this log church was the first for the congregation.
It was later replaced and used as the church school.

Click the button

for the church history page.

The first Christian Science Church 
ever built in the world,  was in the city of Oconto, WI, in 1886. Before there was even  a motherhouse in Boston, the birthplace of the group,, Oconto had this church.
 Click the button

for the church history page. 


 
Old St. John's Lutheran Church - Gillett


Click the button

for the church history page.



St. Johannis German Evangelical Lutheran Church
Underhill, WI

Click the button

for the church history page.


St Patrick Catholic Church -
Stiles
was built in 1896. 

Click the button

for the church history page.




First Methodist Church
Gillett

Click the button

for the church history page.








BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY HOME PAGE