Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links
to this site

HISTORY OF GILLETT 1856 - 1976
Written by Marie Darrow
Compositor - Ben Penkivich, for the Gillett Public Library
Scanned and contributed by Jennifer Bumann
Family Site  Researching Oconto County surnames
JOHN, DEADRICH, CAIN and ROSA

(Page 35)

GILLETT PUBLIC LIBRARY

    The   Gillett   Public   Library  was   organized   in   Februrary   of   1927 largely   due   to   much  hard   work   and   enthusiastic   backing   of   the   Gillett Woman's   Club   which  was   chartered   at   the   time   also.     Petitions  were circulated   throughout   the   city   to   determine   if   the   citizens'   felt   the need   for   a   library.      The  majority  were   highly   in   favor.      The   Charter Board   Members   were:      President-   Mr.   Geroge   Baird;   Vice-President-   Mrs. Art   Sack;   Secretary -   Mrs.   Stanley  Korotev:   Treasurer-   Mr.   R.   Johnston.

    Mrs.   Korotev,   also   a   member   of   the  Woman's   Club,   had   librarian's training  and,   as   the   first   librarian,   was   responsible   for   the   excellent  beginning  made  by   the  small   library.      She  was   always  willing   to step   in   and  take   over   later  when   a   librarian  was   needed   or   to   give   help training   other   librarians.      At   first   books   were   mostly   donations   and those  bought   at   the   annual   College  Women's   Sale   in   Green   Bay.      But   then,  as   it   is   now,   help  was   cheerfully   given  with   the   loan   of  many  boxes   of books   from  the   Farnsworth  Public  Library   in  Oconto   to   supplement   the local   collection.

    The   library was   situated   in  a   large   room  upstairs   in   the  Village Hall   (now   the   Municipal   Building).      The   room  had   to   be   heated  with   a wood   stove,   so   janitorial   and   fireman   duties   were   included   in   the   librarian's   chores.      The   structure   that   presently  houses   the   library   at the   corner  of  Main   and   McKenzle  was   built   as   an   addition   to   the  Municipal   Building  in 1957  when  it  was   remodeled   from  the   old   Village   Hall.

    As   the   library  over   the  years   began   to  be   used  by  more   and  more people   from  outside   the   city   limits   of   Gillett,   help  was   requested   from the  Oconto   County   Board   for  additional   funds.      It  was   forthcoming   in 1973   in   the   form  of  matching   funds   to   those   given  by   the   Gillett   City Council   for   the   support   of   the   library.
A preschool   story  hour  is   held  weekly   at   the   library   from October through  April   staffed   mainly  by  members   of   the   Gillett  Woman's   Club with  other   interested   community  women.

    At   present   the   library   is   used   one   morning   a  week   by   the  SEN  "Special   Educational  Needs"  Program  for   preschool   children.      This   pro-gram  is   state-funded  and   supervised  by  Mr.   Hruska,   the   Grade-School Principal.


History of Gillett Table of Contents Page

Back to the Oconto County Home Page