Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the FREE access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links to this site.

Oconto County, Wisconsin
Mountain Memories
Pages 14 - 15

Back to the Mountain Memories Main Page

To Page 16 & 17


Back to the Oconto County Home Page


The Birth of a Local Government Our present-day Town Clerk, Lois Trever aids US in this facet of Mountain's history by lending us the first Volumes c( the Town of Armstrong Record Books* Found within the pagea of those books and In a small booklet entitled Field Nates of Survey dated in the year 1852 to 1857 came these factsr names, and for the following Mountain The units* States had granted these aectionB of land to the State of Wisconsin in the y*ar 1848 upon Its entrance into the United States of America as the 10th State. Government surveyors soon cams to these previously untaiown Indian lands, once called Quisconsin by the natives of these 'places of gathering waters and grassy plains1, in order to describe tho waterways, trees, and soils for the new owners of these lands, the Departirent of Public Lands for the State Qf Wisconsin at Madison, As they entered their descriptions into their small tooteletr the measurements were made for future plotting and napping, and their corner posts irarlred an end to the lands once freely crossed by the native people of America,By 1854 these surveyed lands were sold ty sections, and the Pailvsy companies were given many of these areas to aid in their construction into the northern lands where virgin pine stood to be highly valued by a nation teeming ta the south. Plat books appeared advertising these sections for sale, enticing settlers to come north, for here they could 'own their land1 and 'Make their own Market'1 Thousands of acres for sale with prices advancing from $2 to $10 perMany of the early landowners of these sprH in pursuit of tht fltwt white pine, obhers carac offing their learned tr»d*, •etting up business establishments for a growing inhabited area. And many came frcm countries far across the Atlantic Ocean, for here they sought a 'better life in this land of free opportunity for all1.As these lands becane settledr there also came tha need for improvements and also a vay In which to unite the many voices now owning land* Their right as citizens of the United States of America were to te14mst in the formation of the Town of Armstrong. A local government to be controlled by the people and for the people who lived within its borders.Through the efforts of A. C.Frost, James Hines, and James Armstrong this local government was fonrisd In the year 1891 Having met the requirement of 100 local citizens as mandated by u5. Congress, the new Township separated frcm the Ttown of how in vhlch James Armstrong was then Chairman. His name was to serve as the name for this newly formed govarmnant And the lands under its supervision*When one contKiplates the enartifiua rtapnnalbilities of these pioneer town officials to provide law and order, educational opportunities, roadways through an almost trackless uildernesEH and social welfare for all vho settled here, ve must admire the courage and determination they possessed. The first Town rtseting, held in the school Viouse of district NOn 6 formally In the Town of Hew, nov in the Town of Armstrong on April 7, 1891as stated in the TOwn Record B^ok Volume lr signifies this date as a grand achievement for the settlers who had come to make their homes in these lands*This wetting was attended by 35 qualified ™ters who lived within the toundary of the Township which ccirprised the present day Townships of Doty, Lahewcod, Townsend, riverview, and ArmstrongP nine ranges of land or 836 square miles-Tlie following men were elected to office: A. C. Frost as Chairman of Supervisions, Vernon Cole as Supervisor, H. M. Baldwin as Clerk, Thomas McAllen as Assessor, James Hines as Treasurer, C. C. Cole as Justice of the Peace with Vemon Cole alao elected to that Office, and George Grimmer to serve as Constable for the Town. Stephen Stater, Fred Bartz, and Soran Frost were el«t*d as Supcrviaora to ov&re» th* work iwoded to be done to improve the roadways throughout the Township* These roadways were developed to improve the Town for further growth and development, and were maintained by the taxpayers. Freeholders was the term used for those citisene applying or petitioning for the early roadways which served to llnx these settlers together."