Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
is exclusively for the FREE access of individual
* No profit
may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links to this site.
Pages 24 - 25
to the Mountain Memories Main Page
Page 26 - 27
to the Oconto County Home Page
owned by otha statler
and there provided a place of learning for the children of the settlers
who would come to live in that area. The Boulder Lake area is presently
in the Town of Doty, the township formed in 1922, separating from the
of Armstrong, and was named after the first elected Chairman to serve
newly formed local government, Mr. S.W. Doty. North of Mountain,
along the North Branch of the Oconto River came the families of Fred
Thomas Grimmer. Anton champagne, S. Collins, Charles Cramer, H.
Fred Nelson, and Charles Hall. Elmer Grindle carries his name today.
Settlement of the Towns to Fred Bartz owned much of the land our
day townsite is situated upon. His hone etill stands as part of the
Northern Enterprise establishment on the east aide of Highway 32/M.
first ectiool stood near his home, a log cabin structure which had been
part of an old logging camp which occupied this site long before
was to become settled by our pioneering families. A.C. Frost, H.M.
Charles Dunlop, Fred Clark, George ElKay, Frank Boetcher, B.W. Goggins,
Adolph Elkey, and E.E. Wicks were some of the first bo acquire the
on which the townsite was to te built in the coming years. A.C. Frost's
hone is now the residence of the Ray townsite in 1901. His lots and
laying out a town on 40 acres of land, made the Depot and Railway the
point. Before building his home now known as Crooked Lake, where he
into the sheep raising business with E.H. Gilkey and built a sold out
partnership in the sheep raising business and soon traveled to Florida,
where he established a town named Dania. He returned to Mountain in
and was quickly voted in as Chairman for the Town of Armstrong. He then
stayed for three years before Landowners adjacent to the towns!he wi
Saffran, Sever Anderson, Marinus Larsen, Lars stromberg, and Jacob
Soren Frost homesteader his 180 acres of land to the west of the town,
receiving his land grant in 1856 as signed by President Grover
the railway of tin f:lu.,.. came through Mountain a itiub. All along
lines of the railway were areas now bustling with activity as the
filled with hardwoods from the forests. B.W. Goggin's saMidll, H.M.
newly completed General Merchandise Store and Post Office, the action
ot the Railway Company, Swen Olson's Saloon, the Depot, Doc French's
tile Matt Savage Pioneer Saloon, and the home of A. C. Frost can all be
seen in the above picture. Mountain continued to grow to the west with
Sever And the residential area to expand upon in 1904. Horsedrawn
then carried loads of logs in this landing aces, and a 'Jamner', a type
of crane vith large poles mounted to a platform on runners, aided the
with the task of loading railway can Those wece truly the days when
power* meant exactly that, for horses carried the brunt of the workload
in the logging industry. "