Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
is exclusively for the FREE access of individual
* No profit
may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links to this site.
Pages 40 - 41
to the Mountain Memories Main Page
Page 42 - 43
Back to the Oconto
County Home Page
Though this post card
picture was made as a 'prank' with the over lay of the street car
down Schley Street, the photo does reveal many of the business
built along this main road through the townsite of Mountain. The Depot
can be seen to the left of the 'street car1, and to the right is the
of B.W. Goggins. A.C. Frost's Hotel, and the store built by Ernest
stands on the west side. The building in the foreground was
a hotel owned by Frank Boetcher, but is no longer standing today.
behind this hotel is the building of Marinus Jensen's which was,built
them by the year 1900.
Jorgansen would operate
a blacksmith shop on this main street in the coming years, and Sever
purchased the store of Pendleton S, Gilkey hiring Herbert Baldwin to
his acquired business enterprise. Herbert purchased the store in 1908
Sever, and soon hired Thomas Rasmussen as his store Clerk.
were three saloons operating
Savage purchased the Hotel
that had been built by A.C. Frost and either remodeled the building, or
totally replaced the structure to face north instead of onto Schley
Swen Olson's Saloon was built to the north on the opposite of Schley
where it is said the Swedes gathered while the Irish, Germans, and the
Poles met at Matt Savage's Pioneer Saloon. There was a third saloon
by a man by the name of Buck-ley and stood further north in the
of the citizens raised quite
a stir when liquor was first allowed to be sold in the Town of
in 1904. The Town Records reveal the votes taken 'for' and 'against1
sale of these tonics, but the $100 fee in obtaining the right to sell
may have been the deciding factor.
later become a landmark in Mountain
known as the Nicolet Hotel, this business establishment was owned and
by many Mountain settlers before it was lost to fire in winter of
At the time this picture was taken, courtesy of Norman Alien, Matt
was the current owner followed by George Farlinger, Cady and Elkey,
Olson, Ole Madsen, Mutt Jensen, George Bucher & Earl Hughes,
Grindie, Jiggs Chol-oski, Benny Lund, Nels Jensen, Wayne Trudell, and
Anderson. The Town pump located out front of this
well remembered by this community.