Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
is exclusively for the FREE access of individual
* No profit
may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links to this site.
Pages 42 - 43
to the Mountain Memories Main Page
Page 44 - 45
Back to the Oconto
County Home Page
A Poem from the Past
this 'ode' was written for
the town of fountain many years ago and can be found in many of uur
no one was ever quite sure who the writer was/ since the poem was
honor of our Centennial Year
we are proud to disclose the writer as Axel Olson !
TOAST TO OLD MOUNTAIN
on you fellow Mountaineers,
lets tell our story now.
Mountain was a lumber town
and never knew a plow.
our hills and dales were covered
with forest green and tall.
everyone was logging in winter
and in fall.
was a camp on every creek,
from Lakewood down to Breed. Where the Irish and the Germans, the
and the Swedes, all lived together and sometimes fought like hell, to
this part of the U.S.A. a better place to dwell.
came to town when work was
done on every Saturday, to quench their thirst at some saloon that
for their pay. At old Swen Olson's bar the Swedes, they met and left
dole. While Savage got the Irish crowd, the Germans and the Poles.
and Lundquist they logged
near Rocky Run. While Holt and Martin Olson they cleaned out Section
And there was Tom McAllen who had a landing crew, while the Kingston
they logged around, they were always in a stew.
there were men who left their
marks amongst these rocky hills, the Sandbergs and the Colemans and the
Baldwins with their pills. The Jensens and the Strombergs, the Saffrans
and some more. They all had good sized families and raised girls galore.
near the grave yard on a hill,
there stood the old Town Hall. There where we met to have our fun, and
sometimes have a brawl. There's where we held elections, we danced and
had our shows. And all the Mountain lassies sweet, they met up with
were the times when men were
men and women gingham wore. The preacher preached the Gospel, the
they swore. Saloons were built for hard boiled men no women were
The liquor it was strong and straight you drank it witha crowd.
never heard of lipstick, brassieres
or bobby socks. There were no silks and satins among the Mountain
We bought a pair of overalls and stagged them at the knees, and if our
shoes had lost their shine we put on wagon grease.
were no Fords nor Chevrolets
to take us for a ride. Old Dobbin hitched before a hack, he was our
pride. We never stopped for gas or oil when we went for a jaunt. But we
got back from whence we came, although our nag was guant.
was the life in this old town
some forty years ago. And still we cherish these old hills and try to
it go. And Friends we're proud of our old berg although it may be small
And if you are a Mountaineer you'll never see it fall.
building was first built by
Ernest Sauld' as a store and boarding rooms. Mr. Martin Olson and
Axel Olson rented this store in 1908. On this photo are Mr. &
Thomas Anderson, Axel, and Mrs. Martin Olson.
1912 Martin and Axel would build
a new store for their merchandise on the opposite side of Schley
selling clothing, shoes, farm machinery, and general merchandise.
& Thibaudeau's 'Mountain Exchange1 Store and the 'Mountain
also established in this building through the years. Around the year
this building became Postal Headquarters again when Axel located the
Office here to serve the community for 23 years.
structure, standing 'atop1
of the rocks, is no longer standing, but is certainly well remembered,
When Rusty's dad, Axel, first became the Postmaster, the Post Office
just up the street from this site, in the Jensen building in 1934, and
Rusty loves to tell this tale of how his Dad was to learn the Postal
too long after my father became