Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
is exclusively for the FREE access of individual
* No profit
may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links to this site.
Pages 50 - 51
to the Mountain Memories Main Page
Page 52 - 53
Back to the Oconto
County Home Page
Districts Formed in 1891
Town of Armstrong formed in 1891, separating from the Town of How and
so doing formed four school districts to be so maintained by the land
throughout the nine ranges it then encompassed The school built in the
town of Mountain which had been maintained as District No. 6 in the
of How then became the school house for those living in District No. 1.
Kingston School located at Kingston Station south of the townsite was
for those living in District No. 2 and the Statler School was centered
as District No. 3 for the settlers living in the Boulder Lake area. The
Wheeler School District was . called District No. 4 bordering
area around the towns of Lakewwod and Townsend where the McCaslin
had been built.
the year 1898 the Mountain School enrollment grew to 73 students so a
school was built to stand atop the hill on the west side of the
This facility was built of brick and its door of education opened in
fall of that year heralding a rapidly growing community within District
School at Crooked Lake and a school in the town of Lakewwood added to
number of schools within the Town of Armstrong's borders and by the
1904 the South Dakota School in Range 31 T 17, the Grimmer School
No. 3, and the Cole School built north of. Townsend created a total of
eight schools to be maintained and supervised by the Town.
Town of Wheeler was set off from the Town of • Armstrong in
the year 1905,
thus separating the maintenance of the Cole and Wheeler Schools from
districts that had been created, leaving the Town to redistrict the
in order to provide 'places of learning' within walking distance of the
settlers throughout the Township.
in 1905 there were 5 School Districts in operation to be funded by the
taixpayers who lived within the borders of the Town of Armstrong. Town
Records reveal that the teachers then received $280 per year, the
supply of wood for heating was
at $25, and funding for new books called for be-tween $20 and $25 per
schools ere the nucleus of the surrounding communities in each
for here people gathered for numerous activities; P.T.A. meetings,
Programs, homespun talent entertainments, and yes, even religious
daily program of study and recitation included arithmetic, reading,
physiology, penmanship, drawing, language, history and spelling - for
teach in these one room school houses that first dotted our countryside
must naive been a real chall-ange.for the young teachers of that era.
teacher, most often a young girl between the ages of nineteen or
came to school on winter mornings and had to build the fire before the
children began arriving. She also had full responsibilities in the
duties, but the older students were assigned daily chores in which to
her, such as filling the water fountain and carrying in the wood supply.
teacher generally stayed with a local family near the school and either
walked, or if fortunate was escorted by horse and buggy or on a large
sleigh pulled by the farmer's team of work horses on the cold winter
letter sent to us by Mrs. Harvey Dobratz told us of the teacher's role
in the country school when May Anderson wrote of her routine from Pine
Stump, and in the year 1908 the school there became the central school
for those living in that area, now to be called the Tar Dam School of
No. 1 in the Town of Armstrong.
Clifford Missall sent us a memento of the 1908 to 1909 School year when
her father, Thomas Wright attended this school. Thomas had lust
his first year of grade school with Daisy R. Hudson as his teacher. His
classmates in Grades 1 through 8 are also listed, compliments of his
The momento which Thomas received is on page 54.