Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
is exclusively for the FREE access of individual
* No profit
may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links to this site.
Pages 66 - 67
to the Mountain Memories Main Page
Back to the Oconto
County Home Page
1922 Thomas Rasmussen served as the Treasurer of the Town of Armstrong
in 1922, his brother Martin was on the Board of Directors for the
Fair. William Greene served as Chairman.for the Town of Armstrong,
Johnson and Adolph Saffran served as the Supervisors, Lars Stromberg as
the Clerk, Daniel Cole was the Justice of the Peace, and Marinus Larsen
was the Towns Constable. (Much later in our history a fellow by the
of Bill Lazansky would be elected as Chairman for the Town of Armstrong
in 1955. Bill has ':. held that seat in our local town government with
his wife Gerrnaine at his side, ever since !)
in the Town of Doty upon forming their own local government in 1922
S-W. Doty elected to the Chairman's seat, H.J. Hamlin and
Fergusen to serve as Supervisors, R.T. Davis as Clerk, Albert Zit-sKe
Treasurer, and Henry Zitske to serve as the Assessor. When this Town
from the Town of Armstrong that year there were two country schools in
Townships 31 and 32 of Range 15, some of the best agricultural land in
the area, and numerous lakes and trout, streams throughout the Town.
first officers elected to hold positions in the newly formed Town of
which consisted of township 32 Range 16 E and township 32 Range 17 E,
Fred Davis as Chairman, Philip Wanner and Frederick Wiles as
Kenneth Farrar as Weed Commissioner, Sam Wanner and Edith Way as
of the Peace, Ernest Clark as Clerk, George Kennedy as Treasurer, Frank
Grindle as Road Superintendent, and Harry Close and Stanley Kennedy as
Tar Dam School, the Holt Spur School, and the Crooked Lake School,
in that year was carried on in two locations, served the children of
fam-ies living in the Town, the route of State Higway 32 passed
through the township to bring many visitors and resorters to the lakes
and streams of the area, and for the fishermen an abundance of bass
be found at Paya Lake while Chain Lake abounded in pickeral. For those
looking for wild blackberries and raspberries, the soil yielded a
crop year after year. Corn, wheat, oats, potatoes, and clover were the
agricultutal crops of the area.
1922 the Board of Directors for the Inter-Township Fair were Edward
as President, Arthur Thompson as Secretary, Martin Rasmussen as
and Stuart Pettingill and W.A. Cooley as Directors.
town of Mountain was described as consisting of 3 general stores;
Baldwin's General Merchandise Store, the Mountain Exchange Store owned
and operated by Ray and Bert Piepenberg, and the Olson and Company
of Martin and Axel Olson.
Highway 32 ran through the center of town there were 2 garages in
the Mountain Motor Car Co. of Harry Edmark and the Mountain Garage with
Christ Jen-sen as manager and Barney Jensen as the mechanic. The
Motor Car Garage was located on the property presently owned by Les
along what we call 'Old Highway 32' today, and the services of the
boys was found just to the south. The road that had been built and
the Langlade Road was now known as State Highway 64, and crossed
32 between the Depot and the Blue Mountain Hotel. Today this route is
as Country W East or West, depending on which way you leave Mountain!
visitors came through Mountain in those years in search of the
harvest of wild berries from these woodlands. Others came to fish the
and the many streams and the Crooked Lake Summer Resort invited an
society to the scenic beauty of the Crooked Lake area.
year Mountain boasted of 3 hotels; the Blue Mountain Hotel with Harry
as proprietor, the Hunting & Fishing Hotel the owned by Cliff
and Gordon Cady, and the Fisherman's Hotel owned by Bill Carlson. The
Hotel was lost in a fire during the mid 20's.
were 5 Ice Cream Parlors in the town, one wonders how such a small
could support so many ice cream establishments ? Let Rusty remind us
the Nineteenth Amendment forbid the sale of alcoholic beverages. . .let
that suffice !
was a Barber shop adjoining the Elkey-Cady Hunting and Fishing Hotel
Gordon Cady was then the Barber. A Blacksmith Shop stood just south of
the Olson & Company Store , and the Shoe & Harness Shop
by Dan Cole. Fred Boetcher operated the cream station in