Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
is exclusively for the FREE access of individual
* No profit
may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links to this site.
Pages 68 - 69
to the Mountain Memories Main Page
Back to the Oconto
County Home Page
which was then called the Fairmont Creamery Company. The Blacksmith
formerly operated by Christ Jensen was now owned by a Mr. Rabideau.
photo, courtesy of Viola & Gladys Rasmussen, was taken around
1934 when their father, Thomas, built the addition onto the original
which he had purchased from Herbert Baldwin in 1924.
Rasmussen came, to Mountain in 1903 finding employment in the sawmill
B.W. Goggins for a few years before building his Barber Shop next door
to H.M. Baldwin's General Store and Post Office. Thomas married in 1905
and chose Tillie Olson as his bride. Some years later Thomas's brother
Martin, who came to this area in pursuit of his trade in the logging
then met Annie Olson, Tillie's younger sister, and so they married.
and P.A. Olson, early settlers to this area now had 2 fine son-in-laws!
Martin worked in the lumbering industry, Thomas continued to operate
Barber Shop and also clerked in Herbert Baldwin's store. Thomas sold
policies to the Town and its citizens, and would, in 1924 purchase the
store from Herbert.
Thomas Rasmussen General Merchandise Store was sold to Alvin and Eva
in 1945 to be kept in the family when their son Harvey purchased the
in 1962. Harvey and Kathy Coleman retired from Coleman's Store in 1973
and sold their business establishment to Leonard and Mary Jazwiecki.
daughter Cheryl is now the present manager of 'The Mountain Corner
and State Census
Bob French, a grandson to the towns first doctor in residence, Dr. S.
was very helpful to us in locating the copies of the Federal and State
population counts in the years 1885, 1895, 1900, and 1905.
to these statistics we were able to take a much closer view of the
settlers to the Mountain area and to the entire Town of Armstrong.
State of Wisconsin Census was taken by Robert Grignon when the Town of
Armstrong was still a part of the Town of How in 1885. On those records
we found the names of Thomas McAllen and Henry Raby, these names being
familiar to the early settlement of this area.
1895 the census for the State was taken by H.M. Baldwin, who was then
Town Clerk for the Town of Armstrong, and his statistics prove a
growing settlement of people in these northern townships. His count
37 families in residence with a total population rising to 159 .
1900 Federal Census reveals a further rise in the population with 94
in residence. A total count of the men, women, and children living in
Town of Armstrong then rose to 482. T;
1905 State Census was taken by William Strom-berg in which we found
112 families were then residing here, with a total population count of
Settlers to the Mountain Area
the early 1900's to the 1920's there was quite an influx of settlers.
the Census count that was taken in 1905 along with many hours of study
in the old plot books of this area, we are able to list and 'place'
new settlers as they now arrived to the Mountain area.
Belongia and several of his sons came to settle the lands south of the
town while Albert and Fred Bach-man chose to settle with their families
on lands east of town near the Waupee River and Bear Paw and Nelli-gan
a number of settlers located in what was to become the Town of
by 1922. Carl Much purchased McConley's Resort on Crooked Lake and
Martin, Mike, and Sam Wanner settled in the vicinity