Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
is exclusively for the FREE access of individual
* No profit
may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links to this site.
Pages 70 - 71
to the Mountain Memories Main Page
Back to the Oconto
County Home Page
the North Branch of the Oconto River north of the town of Mountain
with Nels Nelson, Ike Davis, Edward and Henry Church, Ernest Davis,
Bloomer, John Boyza, Tony Kryzanek, Charles Coll ins, Floyd and George
Hurning, Herman Schmidt, Reynold Lambrecht, and the McCartney family.
Schwab, Anders Olson, and Olaf Velton settled about 3 miles northwest
Crooked Lake, while Albert and Henry Zitske put their roots down far to
the west of the town, settling in the Boulder Lake are which became the
Town of Doty in 1922.
Otto, Adolph Markusen, Andrew Anderson, Walter Jameson, Jim Popelka,
Choynacki, and Jack Strick-ler were the new settlers in the Holt Spur
District north of Mountain. Hal Hamlin, August Klingbeil, Walter
Sid Fergusen, Jess and Ray Perkins, Leo D'Angelo, John Klementz, and
Olson settled the lands in the area of the O'Brien Potato Farms of
Mack, Henry Gagnon, Ervin Wilson, Adolph Mazna, and Alfred Larson were
the settlers living west of the town of Mountain and Hans Larson/ Allie
Begota, Pete Johnson, Harry Troutman, and the Melum family now
north of the townsite.
settlers in the Kingston School Districts to the south of town were
Lowery, Charles Bauerfe-ind, Bill Fosick, and Fred Willis. To the east
of the area came the families of Louis. Stone and Ken Farrar to settle
in the region called the South Dakota Plains. George Marsh, Herman
and John Wener settled near Green Lake where a park opened to the
in 1922 and remains today a popular place for the folks in town to
a day at the lake.
Gibson purchased the Sever Anderson farm next to the Mountain School,
others settling in the Mountain area were Charles Bowman, Glen Munson,
Paul Nast, Louis Fonder, Fred Haugen, Lorin and Ervin Str-oud, and
the settlers coming to this area during the 1900 's to the 1920's was a
man named Henry Alien to settle here in 1912. Puchasing the Pioneer
from Matt Savage, Mr. Alien enlarged the Saloon, in-.to a grand
to be named the Bl~ue Mountain House.
photo, courtesy of Bill Ballering, finds the. Bl-ue Mountain House near
completion. To later become known as the Blue Mountain Hotel when under
the proprietorship of Harry Pues, Alfred and Ida Haase would purchase
establishment and twin daughters, Lavern and Fern have kept it in the
name ever since 1936. This lot in the town was once the site of "The
Stopping Place1 and so carries much of the town of Mountain's history.
Mountain Corner Store as seen on the above picture was then probably
by Herbert Baldwin. The residence of Dr. French can be seen near the
and hidden from view is Swen Olson's Saloon. Note the cows near H.M.
Store; they had the honor of pasturing at will !
this era in our history there was a Bachelors Tax in effect throughout
the Town of Armstrong. This law on the record books stated that all
men were to pay $5 per year if they were over 21 years of age. This
was used to provide for sick babies and their mothers and old maids
to work. Any delinquent bachelor seen escorting any maiden or old