Transcribed and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links
to this site.
marches of Gen.
Sherman's campaigns, from Chattanooga, Tenn., to Raleigh, N.
Company H, of the Fourth Cavalry, was composed of men from Oconto County. The company was called the "Oconto River Drivers." It was in various engagements and battles, and was mustered out at Fort Leavenworth, September 29,1865.
The Eleventh Battery, in 1862, eighty-four men, were enlisted by John McAfee, of Oconto, intending to become a part of the Seventeenth Regiment, under the name of the "Oconto Irish Guards." When the company reached Camp Randall, the Seventeenth was found to be fully organized, so they were transferred to the artillery service, and attached to the " Irish Brigade," then being organized by Col. Jamet; A. Mulligan, at Camp Douglas, Chicago, Ill. A second lieutenant, with a number of recruits from Illinois, joined the cornpany at Camp Douglas, and the Eleventh Battery was organized under command of Capt. John Rourke, of Milwaukee. Capt. McAfee was commissioned as first lieutenant. The other officers of the "Oconto Irish Guards " retained their positions.
Oconto had a number of men in the Seventeenth Infantry, in Thirty-sixth, Thirty-eight and Thirty-ninth Infantry, and in Second and Third Cavalry. Oconto's quota of troops was 311; total credits, 292.
CITY OF OCONTO.
Oconto is a growing city Of 4,.500 people, situated at the mouth of the Oconto River, midway between Marinette and Green Bay, on the west shore of the body of water of that name. its people are industrious and alive, and the trend of its leading business organizations is upward. Banking facilities are obtained through the private house of Farnsworth & Smith.
The city of Oconto was incorporated under chapter 449, P. and L. L. 1869, March 11. It is divided into four wards, the North, South, East and West, and its system of government is in accord with that of other cities. Its municipal officers for 1881 are: Mayor, William H. Young; Clerk, A. M. Martineau; Treasurer, S. W. Ford; Assessor, Peter Don Levy; Superintendent of Schools and City Physician, Dr. H. Allan; Marshal, Frank Leroy.
The Fire Department of Oconto consists of two cornpanies of fifteen members each. There are two engine houses, also. J. H. Driscoll is Chief Engineer, and Gilbert Morrow, Assistant.
Oconto's educational system consists, as is usual, of a School Board and a City Superintendent, composed as follows - School Board - President, W. J. McGee - 0. A. Eilis, James Don Levy and George Beyer.
Superintendent, Dr. Hamilton Allan. J. H. Gould is President of the Free High-school. There are five schools and ten departments. The Jefferson school building was built of brick in 1879, at a cost, with site, of $5,500. It is proposed this Fall to erect a new school edifice at a cost of $6,000. Of the 7,239 children of school age residing in the city of Oconto in 1880, 678 attended the public institutions; 329 patronized private and parochial schools.
The first newspaper published in the county was the Oconto Pioneer, issued by George C. Ginty in 1859. In 1864, he formed a partnership with C. S. Hart. Them next year they sold to J. W. Hall, who had established the Lumberman in 1864. The Oconto Reporter, founded in 1871, was bought out by A. R. Bradbury, who, in turns sold it to A. Reinhart. This gentleman, with others, conducted the paper until September, 1873, when it passed into the bands of C. S. Hart. In the Spring Of 1875, the Oconto Times was absorbed by the Reporter. In July, 1881, the Reporter was merged with the Republican, established by P. H. Swift in October of the previous year. That journal, under the name of the Oconto County Reporter is edited and managed by the latter, a strong Republican. The Lumberman was founded by J; W. Hall in 1864, and there has been no change in proprietorship since. It is a six-and-a-quarter-column quarto, independent Republican in politics. The Enquirer was established in July, 1881, by Messrs. Sharp & Brazeau, F. C. Sharp, editor. In politics it is Democratic. Form, a six-column quarto.
Methodist Episcopal Church -Was organized, in 1854, by Rev. G. D. Donaldson. The church was built in 1865-6. The society is under the pastorate of Rev. E. Yager, and numbers about thirty members.
First Presbyterian Church.-Was organized in 1856, and a building erected two years after. The present edifice, the finest in the city, was built, in 1878, at a cost of $8 000. The church has no settled pastor. Its membership is fifty. .
St. Peter's Church ( French Roman Catholic ).-Was organized twenty years ago, and a building erected at the same time. The membership is 200 families. Its present pastor, Rev. Father Vermare, has had charge of the church ten years.
ST. Joseph's Church is a limb of St. Peter's Church, and was formed ten years ago. Rev. Father Sweibach is pastor over 100 families. A nunnery is situated on the church grounds. Connected with the church are the St. Joseph's Total Abstinence and Benevolent, and the Altar societies.
Ten years ago the St. Mark's Church (Episcopal ) was formed by Rev. Mr. Tenbroeck. It has a membership of thirty-five, and Rev. William Dafter is pastor.
There are also small societies of German and Scandinavian Lutherans.
The secret and benevolent societies of Oconto consist of the following - An I. 0. 0. F. lodge, J. K. Davis, N. G.; F. and A. M. ( Pine Lodge), Dr. H. Allen, W. M.; Temple of Honor, George McCartney, W. C.; I. 0. G. T., Robert McGee, C. T.; A. 0. U. W., George Beyer, M. W.; C. K. of A., J. Noman, Pres. .
The Oconto Library Association was organized as a stock company in 1878, with Judge H. W. Hubbell as president. The library has 700 volumes. W. B. Mitchell is now president.