Transcribed and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links
to this site.
1873, he came
He first formed a
S. Johnson, and remained
with him one
then bought his partner's
and established& himself alone. Dr. Allan has since resided
in Oconto, with the exception
of nine months in
1877-78, which he spent
in Milwaukee. He has
only built up a >successful
practice, but has
established a reputation
as an efficient
This is his third
year as City
also as City Superintendent
has been County Superintendent since 1879; is one of the
the formation and
of a library; is, in
fact, what his education
has made him, an intelligent,
and successful gentleman.
Dr. Allan was
in 1875, to Mary, daughter
of Leighton, Oconto County.
Oconto, born June
22, 1823, in
Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany; in 1854, came to Chicago; in 1856,
he came to Oconto
; has followed the
and joiner trade
most of the time since;
he has built over half
of the buildings in Oconto,
consisting in part of
the court house, music hall,
etc., also the bridge which
crosses the river at the
court house ; he built and owns this property
he occupies. Married, in 1850, to Anstena Denss;
she was born in Nassau; died Feb. 14, 1880, in her
year; have five children.
three sons and
GEORGE A. BALDWIN, superintendent tie and shingle mills, Oconto Company, is a native of St. George, N. B. (New Brunswick, Canada), June, 1859, came to Boston, Mass., thence to Bangor, Me., followed lumbering till 1861, when he enlisted in Co. K, 8th Maine Inf., served to the close of the war; returned to Boston, where he remained a short time, then came to Oshkosh, Wis., worked there at the lumber business till 1874, when he came to Oconto. The past six years he has held his present position.
GEORGE BEYER, County Treasurer, of Oconto, was bone in Wingerode, Prussia, Oct. 21, 1843. When but a boy of thirteen he emigrated with his parents to Milwaukee, but the following year removed to Oconto. Here his father died in 1857, and his mother in 1859, and young Beyer was left to fight his battles alone; and that he was equal to the emergency is proven by his course in after life. He already has been working in the Hubbel and the Jones mills several years, and continued thus until 1860, when he secured employment with W. M. Whitcomb. Here he remained until xs62, when he went to Chicago and took a thorough course in Bryant & Stratton's Business College. Mr. Beyer was then prepared to " step up higher," and consequently when he returned to Oconto, acted at different times, until 1864 as Deputy County Treasurer, County Clerk and Register of Deeds. He next joined an organization of one-hundred-day men, and was elected second lieutenant of Co. H, 39th Regiment Wis. V. I. After he returned from his short, but voluntary service, he was employed as bookkeeper by the firm Of Whitcomb & Ideson, and held this position until 1867. For the next two years Mr. Beyer carried on the lumber business, and then leased the Pier from the city until 1871. Engaging in the insurance business from that date until 1878, he was elected County Treasurer, and re-elected in 1880. Mr. Beyer is a representative German-American. Although born in the Old Country,
adopted the New Country at so early an age that all his
thoughts and instincts are American, and be is not only a full-blooded
American citizen in everything except birthplace, but is a self-made
which is the best possible recommendation to good and reliable
W, E. BARLOW, dealer in hardware, house furnishing goods. Oconto, came to Oconto in 1860, established his present business in 1878; he carries about a $4,000 stock; he also manufactures tinware, and employs two men.
JAMES BELLEW, boarding-house Oconto Company, is a native of Ireland; came to Green Bay at the age of fourteen years; there he followed various kinds of labor. In 1855, he came to Oconto; worked at the ship carpenter trade about two years; he then took charge of the boardinghouse for Holt & Balcom, where he continued about three years. The past seventeen years he has been in the empty of the Oconto Company, and has had charge of this department. Married, August, 1856, to Catharine Moroney ; she was born in Ireland ; they have four children - Ella, Matthew, now assistant book-keeper for this company, Edward, also a clerk in the grocery department, and Clara, now attending school.
0. W. BLOCH, clerk for J. Spies, Oconto, is a native of Germany; came to America in 1853, to Wisconsin in 1854, and to Oconto in 1853; enlisted in 186l, in Co. H, 4th Wis. Vol. Inf., but not being accepted on the first call, he joined Co. X, 24th 111. Vol. Inf., and served three years and two months; was mustered out as captain of Co. F, same regiment; was elected Register of Deeds, and served one term, and in 1880, was elected Alderman of the City Council for the term of three years.
ALEXANDER BRAZEAU, attorney, Oconto, was born in the city of Oconto; attended Lawrence University at Appleton; studied law with Hastings & Green, at Green Bay; and was admitted to the Bar September, 1878; in November of the same year, formed a partnership with W. H. Webster.
BRAZEAU BROS., general merchandise, Oconto. F. X. Brazeau is a native of Montreal; came to Two Rivers, Wis., in 1847; remained there three years, then went to California, engaged in mining. In I853, he returned to Montreal, where he remained until 1870, when he came to Oconto, and established this business. Their sales amount to about $20,000. Has been a member of the School Board about nine years. Samuel Brazeau, also a member of this firm, was born in Beauharnois, Canada, March 2, 1830. Came to Two Rivers, Wis., in 1848, lived there until 1852, then came to Kewanee. Came to Oconto, July, 1850, engaged in lumbering until 1870, when this business was formed. He has served six years as Alderman, and still holds this office.
WILLIAM BRUNQUEST,retired,Oconto. Boxn March 19,1819, in New Brunswick (Canada). Came to Oconto, in 1849, worked by the month at the lumber business, then entered into partnership with James and T. W. Christiie, in a saw-mill, at Oconto Falls; continued one year. In 1852, .he opened a general store, which he continued until1862, when he bought Jones' water-mill, ran it until 1869, when it was carried away; in J 1870, he rebuilt the mill, now owned by McDonald & Billings, and ran it until 1874. In 1876, he again opened a store, and was burnt out in 1878. His residence is one of the finest in Oconto, having built it at a cost of about $6,500. He was elected the first County Treasurer of this county. Has been Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, and President of the Village Board.
REV. C. R. BURDICK, pastor of Presbyterian Church, Oconto. Is a native of Chenango Co., N. Y. At about the age of twenty, he commenced an academic course of studies, and graduated at the Rochester University, in the class of 1852; he also graduated at the Theological Seminary, in 1858. Was ordained, Jan. 1, 1860. He had preached, however, one year before he was ordained. He had charge of the public school in Rochester, and had charge of one of the grammar schools from 1857 to 1859. He has preached five years in Genesee County, eight years in Niagara County, two years, in Joliet, about one year, in Marquette. Came to Oconto in 1875, and at once took charge of this church. Since coming here its membership has doubled.
A. P. CALL, jail keeper, Oconto, is a native of Essex Co., N. Y. Came to Green Bay, September, 1845, with his parents. Worked in saw-mills until 1864, then