Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the FREE access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links to this site.
Early Oconto County Photographers
The years they took photographs in Oconto County,
along with some examples of their work when available,
to help researchers in identifying antique family pictures
buy putting them into a time frame.
an ongoing project with your help
City of Oconto
1883 - 1970
Spanish - American War Soldier 1898
Although the written name on the photo appears to says "Barquart"
the closest member name on the 1898 Oconto County Spanish American War Roster - Company M
was " Lorenz Borgwardt " who was age 18 at the time of the war and settled in Marinette, Wisconsin after the war.
The soldier is wearing a bow tie along with rifle, cartrdrige box and bayonet on his belt. He wears leather leggings and is standing in front of a painted backdrop.
The Oconto Lumberman
April 30, 1898
Company M. W. N. G. Leaves for Milwaukee with a Full Quota of Men
Over Three Thousand People Escort the Boys to the Depot
At nine o'clock the boys left the armory 101 strong, headed by the city brass band and followed by 3,000 people of the Northwestern depot, until the train came in bringing Co. I of Marinette there was continuos cheering and firing of cannons. Capt. Lee did not receive instructions until late Wednesday afternoon to enlist more then sixty-eight men, but in three hours after the telegram was received he had his full quota of 101 men. Then he had his pick for many more had asked to enlist. Preference was given to single men, and only a few married men were taken.or a larger view.
Contributed by Dave Cisler
from the scrapbook of Miriam C. Barribeau CISLER
AFTER 87 YEARS OF BUSINESS at the 'same old stand", the doors of the Lee Studio in Oconto were closed this month as the present proprietor, Morgan Lee, announced his retirement. Inescapably, the news prompted a host of nostalgic memories as townspeople recalled the day they sat for a graduation picture, or the time they carried in a son or daughter — now parents themselves - for a treasured baby picture, or even of walks on summer evenings that inevitably ended at the studio to see whose picture was in the display window.
Not only has the studio been part of the downtown scene since 1883, but the name of its founder, General Wilbur Lee, has become closely associated with much that is best in the City's long history. As the city's only soldier to attain the rank of general, his character and deportment were also such as to engender the affection, as well as the pride of the town. The summation of that feeling was expressed by another distinguished early citizen, Congressman David Classon, at ceremonies honoring the General's return from the trenches of France in 1918. Said Classon; "As a businessman, as a good husband and father, as a man of affairs, as an officer, and as always an honest, upright and patriotic citizen, we have watched him and he has not been found wanting."
Wilbur M. Lee was born in Neosha, Dodge County, Wisconsin, in 1862. and moved to DePere as a youth. Later he moved to Green Bay where he learned the photographer's trade and married Mary Freward. On January 1, 1883, they came to Oconto and Lee built the studio on Park avenue near Main street where it has remained, though altered and expanded, to the present day. The Lees made their home on Turner avenue nearby, the present Gerald Dufek home.
Lee's stature as a professional photographer was soon recognized and most of the major events of the city's early history, as well as its prominent and less well-known citizens, were captured by his camera for posterity. He also found time to become active in civic affairs, serving as the city's mayor from 1896-1898 and later as city treasurer. It was another calling, however, that was to become the consuming interest of his life.
began in 1889 when Lee was instrumental in organizing the city's first
company of volunteer militia, old Company M of the Second Regiment of
the Wisconsin National Guard., He served for a while in an enlisted
status as quartermaster and then, on May 2, 1889, was sworn in as the
unit's first captain. Nine years later, with the sinking of the Maine
and America's involvement in the Spanish-American War, Lee and his men
were first mobilized for active duty. While enroute to action in Puerto
Rico, the train stopped in Chicago and an interesting commentary on the
young officer was given by a relative of the S. W. Fords who was
present at the railroad station and wrote;
The return of Captain Lee and his company was the cause for jubilant celebration in the city. As the train pulled in at 8:45 p.m. on September 9, 1898, bells rang, bands played and every steam whistle in town screamed a welcome. People lined the streets to cheer as the company marched to the armory where a lunch had been prepared. A few days later everyone fell out again for a big Homecoming dance held at Turner Hall.
By the time Company M was again mustered in to fight in the Mexican Border Patrol action in 1916, Lee had been promoted to colonel. They were home from that engagement only a short time before the outbreak of World War I and once again Lee was back in uniform, this time in command of the 127th Infantry Regiment, a part of the 64th Brigade who came to be known as "Les Terribles".
For six months Colonel Lee fought under heavy fire on five fronts in France. Then, on September 17, 1918, he was relieved of his command at Chateau Thierry because of age. Again he was accorded a hero's welcome as all along the line his train was stopped so people at Gillett, Oconto Falls and other stations could come aboard to pay him tribute. At Oconto he was met at the station by literally thousands of people who escorted him to his home along streets illuminated by red flares.
few days later a formal welcome was held on the court house lawn,
attended by 5,000 residents of the county and officiated over by
Congressman Classon. The congressman began his address in the somewhat
flowery rhetoric of the day by saying:
At the end of World War I the Wisconsin National Guard was reorganized and Lee was commissioned a Brigadier General. On May 29, 1926, at the age of 64, he retired from military service. Sometime later, in 1943, a room of the Beyer Home Museum in Oconto was dedicated to his honor and Lee presented the Oconto County Historical Society with several mementoes of military significance, including the uniform he wore during the Spanish American War.
During Lee's absences, the studio continued to do business with his daughters, Ora Lee and Dorothy.
Back to Early Oconto County Photographers Home Page
Back to the Oconto County Home Page