Please click on the photo to see a larger view!
Carpenter Shop and Blacksmith Shop at Sampson
Owned by Mike at the Hilltop Bar in Sampson
Contributed by:: Kris Kolkowski
"This photograph was probably taken around the 1880’s, but nobody knows for sure. All they know is that nothing in the picture is there today. You can see the buggy parked next to one of the buildings, and a little children's wagon in the lower right hand side of the picture."
Evidence found to support the Sampson photo
The name "Sampson" was not official at that time. It was a "corners settlement" surrounded by farms. While it is not possible to absolutely verify this photo, the "No. 2" is printed backwards above the "Sampson", which would indicate a reverse "glass plate" photo. Such photo equipment was used in the Oconto County area by photographers of the 1880's. Photographers would write the location and plate numbers backwards, directly on the glass negatives, which accounts for some unusual characteristics to the hand printing. Local immigrant farmers who were proud of their new homesteads and realtors hoping to sell land would send the photos, which had been taken of the "local features" by traveling photographers, to Europe .