Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links
to this site.



STILES

Oconto County
Wisconsin
If you have information to add please e-mail RITA

Please click on each image below for a larger view.


Stiles Depot 1909
This shows the Depot July 5 1909.  The lady with the umbrella is Mable McCurdie.  The trains didn't like to stop there going north because it was hard getting started up the hill.  Sometimes they would have to back up to the water tower a mile south, take on water and then get a run for the hill.
John Larson


 

Here is another photo of Stiles looking west.  Lawn mowers that could make pies and give milk.  River and company barn to the left.  Flag is up on the pole.

John Larson.


 
 

 

Here is one taken by H.R. Luebke.  This is one of my favorites.  It is looking south with the hall and school right.  Depot on the left.  No highway but it did have power lines.

John Larson

Please click on each image below for a larger view.


 Stiles Graded School
c: 1910

   Stiles Graded School
2006


 Stiles Modern Woodsmen of America Band c: 1900
Group assembled in front of Pat Curley's Hall
Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek

This fraternal and social organization was initially meant to provide life insurance for woodsmen, who were among the professions that were deemed too dangerous for other companies to insure, thus providing funds for widows and children. It is still an active insurance and investment company. From their site:
"
As a fraternal benefit society, Modern Woodmen provides benefits for members, their families and their communities."

  Stiles in earlier days.

Houses in the center were built by Stiles founder Ansen Eldred
for his mill workers
and several are still lived in today.

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek

 
St. Patricks Catholic Church, Stiles



Photo contributed by:

Jill Gondek
Taken 2011

  

St. Patrick Catholic Church, Stiles, 
first communion classes.

Photo and comments by:
John Larson

built in 1884
 
Anson Eldred deeded the land for the church Sept. 15, 1882.  Tom and Isabel Leigh from Leigh Town donated the bell that is still in use today.  It is interesting to note that none of them were Catholics.  Most of the families were Irish that built the church so they called it Saint Patrick's.  First records start at Jan. 1st 1885.




Back to the Towns & Villages Home Page
Back to the Oconto County Home Page