Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links
to this site.


c:1870
     Founder,Richard Yeaton, arrived in 1857 holding the title to much of the land where the village now stands. He started the first blacksmith shop which crafted and supplies many of the first tools, such as axes, saws, shovels, used to clear the land. He came from New England. 
    Although Mr. Abrams owned the original land, he never lived or settled here. 
ABRAMS
Oconto County
Wisconsin

Please click on the photos below for a larger view.

The following rural Abrams pictures are contributed, and from the collection, of  Bob Reim
Photographs are part of a series that were taken by Roy Hannan in 1910
.


Winter at the Charles Schliep Farm in 1910, located  two miles west of Abrams in Sec33 T27 R20 on County D.  The western boundary of the farm was the Reinhold Reim farm and what is today County D and Sandalwood Road.  The original farmhouse and one or two of the ancillary buildings still exist but the barn burned in the 1960s.  Charles Schliep and Reinhhold Reim are my greatgrandfathers.


A wonderful and complete log farm is captured in detail. Notice the people in front of the long building on the left near the wood piles.  The corn is looking very good.

Abrams farm 1 is unidentified but is of interest as a part of the Roy Hannan photographic series and for the clarity of the images.  Who knows, perhaps someone will recognizes a structure?
 

 
Abrams farm 2 is unidentified but is of interest as a part of the Roy Hannan photographic series and for the clarity of the images.  Who knows, perhaps someone will recognizes a structure?
 





Please click on the photos below for a larger view.

The following picture postcards are contributed, and from the collection, of Dennis Kohlman.
Many of the following photographs were taken by Roy Hannan in 1910
.

Abrams bird's eye view.

Abrams Catholic Church.

Abrams Main Street looking East 1910

Abrams detail of Main Street looking East 1910

Abrams Main Street looking West 1910

Abrams German
Friedens Kirche
Evangelical Lutheran Church
1910

Abrams farm (unidentified) 1910

Abrams Main Street with Hotel Abrams, Baudhuin & Svoboda Store, Saloon and other buildings.

Abrams  Methodist Episcopal Church 1910

Abrams magnificent men in their flying machine 1911


Early Abrams from across the railroad tracks



Abrams passenger railroad station with Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul train 1910

Abrams School faculty and student body 1910

Abrams School detail of faculty and student body 1910

Abrams School back of photograph 1910 
 
Threshing in Abrams
c: 1908



contributed by: Dan West
A real photo postcard of the Grunwaldt Hardware store in Abrams, sittingright next to the saloon owned by Joseph Liegeois.  It's a great photo and you can just see the exact
saloon in your photo as well as a part of the hardware store.

Abrams Saloon and Real Estate Company of Joseph Liegeois.

C:1880 
Mr. and Mrs Paul Guskey, early pioneering couple.

Abrams Methodist Church 
Photo C:1950

C:1890 
Note the "pressed Tin" siding used on 
the side of this wood frame building. 
It was fashionable to apply such siding 
and then paint it to look like brick 
or quarry cut stone,
giving a more substantial appearance.


Abrams Highway C: 1880

1886
The Blacksmith Shop where tools and plows for settlers were made and repaired, kitchen equipment was produced, horseshoes made, sized and applied, harness fittings made and repaired, wagon fittings, knives and any number of useful items could be found for sale, or made to order. The livery stable for visitors and townsfolk without barns is next-door.

1910 Main Street 4th of July Parade. 
Abrams had the last surviving Civil War Veteran
in Oconto County,
George Lince died at Abrams in 1940; age 91 years


Main Street Abrams 1971

If you have information to add please e-mail RITA
Back to the Towns & Villages Home Page
Back to the Oconto County Home Page