Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links
to this site.



Please click on the two photos below for a larger view.
GILLETT
Oconto County
Wisconsin


Gillett Great Northern Pail Company

contributed by:  John Larsen


Gillett Business Section

contributed by:  John Larsen

~~~~~~~~~~~


Photo contributed by Richard LaBrosse



Gillett Main Street , bank (built 1900) and pharmacy (originally built in 1890 as a grocery) on the left. 
c: 1900

Almost completed Village Hall at the edge of town. C:1900

Rodney Gillett, for whom the village and town(ship) were named, is seated in the front row next to his wife and surrounded by their adult children. C:1880.

St John Catholic Church and Rectory.  C: 1890

Elm Street with newly planted trees.            C:1900

The New High School. C: 1912
C:1870
Hattie (William) John lived 93 years. She was the daughter-in-law of Josie John. During the US Civil War, while her husband was serving in the northern army, Josie taught herself to become an expert rifle shot. She was able to hunt enough wild game to keep her own and several other families fed during the year the men were away. Josie lived to the age of 78.

Main Street Gillett.  C:1890

The Citizen's State Bank on Main Street.  C:1910

Gillett Building and Supply Company's Plant.  C:1900

Gillett Canning Company  C:1910

Main Street 1908
Henry Tourtillotte
In the American Civil War (1861-1865) uniform of the Northern Armies. He was the first to settle in Gillett, with his wife and children, building a two story log cabin, before the war.

If you have information to add please e-mail RITA
Back to the Towns & Villages Home Page
Back to the Oconto County Home Page