Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links
to this site

Please click on the photos to see a larger view!
  SURING

Oconto County
Wisconsin
 

Joe Suring first settled in what is now known as Suring in the year 1880. He had built a small frame house along the Slough near his sawmill. The original name for the village was suggested by Mr. Suring as "Three Rivers" for the Oconto River,  South Branch, and Peshtigo Brook join just outside of the town. There was already a town with that name and the application was returned with the name "Suring" chosen by the agency since Mr. Suring had signed it.


Please click on the photos to see a larger view!


   Bertch's Theater in Suring.  The buildling is no longer standing but I remember gong there to see Tarzan Movies and Sinbad. 
contributed by:
 Bill Fonferek

  Suring Train Depot. Note the kegs and barrels piled along  one side the building. Transportation was now available not only for goods, but for local folks to make trips to Minnesota, South Dakota,  and on west to Oregon where other family members had migrated  and resettled.

 Joe Suring poses in front of the Suring Post Office before beginning delivery of mail to Rural Route 1, Suring, Wisconsin.
Photograph of the wood frame post office was taken before the village fire
in 1908. Replacement buildings were stone and brick.

contributed by:  John Larsen 

  Typical of many stores of the time, this Main Street building was long and had 1 1/2 stories. It  boasted the popular fancy trimmed "false front" that made it appear larger. Families often lived on the second floors until they were able to afford building a separate home, then either rented out the top floor, used it for local dances and gatherings, or for storage.

  Muddy Main Street. Hike up your petticoats, don't get your bustle in a bind, look both ways and do your best to get across. The Oconto River runs just past the far west end of town in this shot.


  Main Street, Suring, in the early days it was sometimes hard to tell where the street really was. The train station is center right.
Storm clouds gather over the town of Suring in this photograph taken just after the Chicago & North Western Railroad tracks and spur were laid in 1896 (lower right corner), heralding the sudden increase in growth of the community.

  Main Street, Suring, west end in 1906 - note that board walks have been added!
Suring High School Girls Basketball Team 1922-1923 Left to right pictured are Arlene (Arveson) McDermid, Mary (Lindl) Nelessen, Myrtle (Stock) Wicke, Hazel (King) Johnson, Clarice ??? , Mildred (Gerald) Wilcox and the coach Miss Spink.
 contributed by:
Carolyn Laskowski

Store of Harry Serier C:1910
C: 1900 On the Oconto River at Suring, the cooks tent for lumber workers with Mrs. William Tielke, Tom Hodgins, Henry Netzer, Mabel Stackpole, Mrs S. Donald

The second home of Joe Suring, standing in front. The rear wing was a boarding house for his sawmill workers. It stood beside the Methodist church. C: 1900


1911 
Max Ball, Jack Mathys, Charles Mayths, Herman Raadtz, Sevalia Rusch and owner John Rusch.

Owner and registered pharmacist, Kate Conrad stands in her drugstore. There was also an ice cream parlor.  C: 1918

 

November, 1908
Built immediately after the fire that destroyed more than half of downtown  Suring in early 1908, this photograph of the Suring State Bank shows it nearing completion. The bank opened for business in February of 1909. 

Workers with hand axes built this first rough timber bridge across the Oconto River at the site of Suring in 1880. It enabled direct travel on the highway for the first time, which greatly assisted new settlement and marketing.

Groninger Hotel taken shortly after completion of the new Opera House wing in 1909. The first floor if the Opera House was store space.

The original Suring slough before being filled and used for a trailor park.


  Suring School, newly built, housed all 12 grades at first, later became the high school. 

  The old Suring Sugar House (log sugar shack) was used to make Maple sap into sugar using the centuries old technique of the Native Americans. It was dismantled and rebuilt for display at Heritage Hill in Green Bay, WI. 

Back to the Towns & Villages Home Page
Back to the Oconto County Home Page