County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by Oconto
County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links
OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS
Birch Grove School
by: Larry Grady
(transcribed from the news article below)
New Added Each Year
at Birch Grove County School
Fourth Room May Be Built At
Abrams School Due to Overcrowded Conditions
This is ths 13th in a series of articles sponsored by the Oconto County
Teachers Association to promote better public relations in the schools
of our county.
On July 6, 1910. a meeting
was called to order by Charles Robbins
chairman of the town of Lena to form a school board to acquire land and
to discuss matters pertaining to the establishment of a school house.
Land was bought from James Pavlick for the sum of $50.00 and the first
school board was elected. They were Anton Kramer, clerk; Frank Cook,
treasurer; and Frank Rosary, director. It was also voted on to hire a
female teacher and to raise $500.00 lo run the school. Anton Kramer
resigned as clerk and Robert Rimple was elected to take his place. The
school was built with Joseph Anderly being head carpenter. Joseph
Knu'man dug the well.
The furnishings for the school were bought from Sears Roebuck and
Company. School was in session eight months. It was also voted on at
the meeting that the teacher would buiM the fire and have it built by
7:30 a.m. The first teacher. Miss Minnie Marek, received a salary of
$35.00 a month.
Ellen McDonald was the County Superintendent at the time school
started, which was November 10. 1910.
The present school board is Ernest Frye, Martin Kosmal and Felix Neta.
The present teacher is Mrs. Eleanora Stoviak. There are 21
pupils enrolled this school year. Our school is now heated with a fuel
oil burner. We have storm windows and our school has been insulated.
Every year something has been accomplished toward improvement of
buildings and playgrounds.
Every month the community holds card parties at the school. Money made
is used to buy needed things for the school. Last year beautiful
curtains for the stage were purchased. This year a new mirror with a
cabinet and other things were bought. The name Birch Grove is going to
have more meaning after the community people plant birch trees in the
school yard this fall.
TO THE OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS HOME PAGE
TO THE OCONTO
COUNTY HOME PAGE