County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by Oconto
County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links
OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS
2nd building pictured,
built in 1920.
from the 1953 news article below)
School District No Jt. 6
Pensaukee and Abrams
School is located about three miles south of
Brookside and three quarters of a mile East of County Trunk
During the past six
years the attendance has been between 33 and 39
Early records were
destroyed by fire, but the old settlers say the
school was built in 1870. Bricks came from the brick yard East of the
school on what is now the Geil farm. An old Treasurer's book which
dates back to 1875 gave some information.
The clerk in 1875 was
W.W. Delano. The teacher Miss L. DeLano received
$140.00 for the year of seven months. The records show as many as three
teachers taught during a term. The first teacher to teach a full term
was Hattie Bellingham in 1878 at $20.00 PER MONTH.
Double seats were
purchased in 1878. Also $2.00 was allowed per year
for cleaning the school.
Painted black boards
were purchased for $4.00. The attendance was very
large. We were told between 65 and 100 children attended school.
The school was called
the Brookside School District No. 6 up to 1887.
The board voted to furnish free texts until 1905 when the children had
to buy their own because only $5.00 was allowed for supplies.
Three dug wells and two drilled wells have supplied the water. The drilled wells were drilled in 1910 and 1951.
Slate boards were purchased in 1906 for $16.06. The record shows that $200.00 was raised each year of expenses.
The first building was heated by a box wood stove costing $11.50 for a
stove, pipes and freight. In 1914 a jacket stove was installed.
In 1885 the board voted to have a nine month school term. There is a
mention of the board attending a School Board Convention in 1905 for
the first time.
In 1915 free text books were voted again. New single desks were bought. The first record of $1000.00 was raised for expenses.
The first building was razed in 1920. The new building had a full
basement with furnace, and chemical indoor toilets. These were removed
and put outside in 1925.
In 1937 the building was wired for electricity, and a steel roof put on.
Between the years of 1945 to 1952 the school purchased a radio, a
piano, a hot plate, a film strip projector, new blonde desks, new green
chalk boards, and electric clock and a blower for the furnace. The
floors were sanded and sealed. The building was painted last summer.
The school is well supplied with up-to-date texts and supplies.
The present school board members are: clerk, Mrs. Orville Westcot;
director, Mrs. Clarence Thome; treasurer, Mrs. Delano Moody. The
teacher is Mrs. Mary Papenfus.
TO THE OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS HOME PAGE
TO THE OCONTO
COUNTY HOME PAGE