County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by Oconto
County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links
OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS
In Chase at County "S" & "C"
This Chase Central School replaced the original log cabin home in South
Chase where Erma Matusik first held classes.
Oconto County Genealogical
by: Larry Grady
(transcribed from the news article below)
Chase Central school is located about seven miles northeast of Pulaski
on the corner of county trunk roads and district number six in the town
Before this school came into existence school was held at South Chase
in a log cabin owned by Erma Matusek. Planks were laid on blocks for
seats and desks. School was held for about eight months and the teacher
was paid anywhere from seventeen to twenty-five dollars a month. The
teacher boarded at one of the homes and paid less than ten dollars a
month room and board. This information given to me by one of
pupils of that time.
According to available records of the Chase Central school, 1921 and
1922, there were nine months in the school year. Similar to all rural
schools, the children walked to and from school
facing the cold, bitter, winter weather. During this weather both boys
and girls wore "lumberjack rubbers", which was was a shoe with a rubber
bottom and leather too. Home knit stockings kept their feet warm
against the sting of frost. Only during a snow storm would the parents
pick them up on a sleigh and horse. Spring and early fall offered more
enjoyment to these walks to and from school. It gave the children a
chance to swap stories, race, or linger along the roadside. Once at
school they played simple games that had been handed down from family
to family. These games consisted of "Ring-A-Round-The-Rosey", "London
Bridges", tag. races, etc.. unless someone brought a bat and ball to
The school itself was a one
room school as it stands today, only without our
improvements. The front part of
our school did not extend as far out as it does now. There was one door
in the front which led to a partition used as a cloak room for the boys
and girls. Windows were to be found on both sides of the
room. Heat was obtained through
a box stove in the center of the room, with a large black pipe
extending the length of the room. In the front was a platform on which
stood the teacher's desk. The floor was made of oak and looked as
"black as coal". The desks were of the slat type with double
rows as the enrollment was very large, usually around sixty pupils.
Books were very scarce and the pupils would buy their own, later to
resell them to someone else. The library consisted of a few crude
containing about thirty books, and one large dictionary. Reading was
from first to fifth reader and no reader went beyond that
grade level. The language class consisted
lessons from a wall chart having
the A. B. C's, etc. Other subjects were penmanship,
arithmetic and spelling•zines or newspapers (missing) at
(missing) globe with a
long (missing)to the
(missing) could be
found, the floors were
for when curtains
(missing) they chased (missing)
type today. No
slates which proved to be
very noisy when banged against the tops of
the desks. A hand bell was used to call the children in after recess.
All drank from one dipper located in a water pail made of pressed
paper. The children carried their lunches in two, three or four quart
lard pails. For many years there was no source of light in school.
Finally one day the teacher put a play on and bought several kerosene
lamps from the profit.
In 1919 - 1920 the teacher was Verna Thompson who taught
for seventy-nine dollars and twenty cents a month. At
time Gust Hein
served as clerk, Ed. Plautz as director, and Fred Kuxman as treasurer.
From September 12. 1921. until May 12. 1922. the following people
were enrolled in school: Norman Chilla. Elmer Schrank, Earl
Dethardt, Norris Pott, Alfred Regal, Otto Kuxmann, Bennie Rosenberg,
Emma Regal, Harold Ploutz, Hilda Regal, Elmo Pott, Albert Pott. Delia
Konizak, Florence Blaser, Paul Hein. Ethel Ploutz, Adeline Schwartz.
Lucy Komzak. Norman Schwartz, Florence Schrank, Edwin Schrank, Mildred
Kuxman, Evelyn Ploutz, Mayme Rosenberg, Dorothy Regal, Frances Stanek,
Rose Stanek, Lillian Stanek, Edwin Komzak, Albert Kuxmann, Myrtle
Ficher. Dorothy Schrank. Joseph Wroblewski, Stephen Wroblewski, Peter
Rzepka, Helen Rzepka, Waller Rzepka. Francis Rzepka, Felicia Janicki.
Lucy Janicki,, Ralph Janicki, Irene Binkowski, Melvin Binkowski, Harry
Komzak, Leonard Schaden, Norbert Rosenberg, Rose Komzak, Lorraine
Blaser, Peter Micha, Anna Micha, Anna Binkowski, Stanley Rzepka, Robert
Kuxman, Leo Hilbert, Lorris Rosenberg, Raymond Schaden, Chester
Binkowski, Edmund Heckel, Herman Heckel, Henry Heckel, Otto Heckel and
Christina Heckel. Total sixty-two, teacher, Katherine Konieczny.
Until the year 1925. there was eight months in the school year, after
that nine months of school came into effect.
In 1934-35, plans were made to put in a new floor in the school, and
to extend the building by putting in regular halls or cloak
rooms for both boys and girls. In 1946 the school bought an oil burner
which is in the school at the present time. In 1949, new modern type
desks were bought. This year and last, a movie projector, new wall
maps, a hecktograph, and the floor was sanded and varnished adding to
the list of improvements. Over forty dollars of library books have been
added plus a wide assortment of magazines giving the school children a
better chance to learn.
Most of the children live within walking distance of the school still
most parents bring them to school by car. Two families are on the
"transportation list" because of the distance. They are the Stanley
Wojcik family and Spottek family.
The present school board members are: E. F. Heinerman. treasurer;
Albert Pott, clerk: Adolph Sievert, director. The present teacher, Miss
Janice Wielgus. was first hired in 1952. The enrollment for the year
1953-1954 is twenty-five.
TO THE OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS HOME PAGE
TO THE OCONTO
COUNTY HOME PAGE