County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by Oconto
County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links
OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS
by: Larry Grady
is the ninth of a
series of articles sponsored by the Oconto County Teachers
Association to promote better public relations in the schools of our
from the news article below)
and Pershing Schools Show Progress Through The Years
HISTORY OF THE
In the 1860's a small log school stood where the
Couillardville School, District Number 3, Oconto, now stands. In this
school the parents of many of the oldest residents of our district
studied along with a few Indian children who also attended the school.
At about the turn of the century, it was decided to change the
building. It was to be a wuoden one. It hail no basement and you
entered it by climbing a number of cement steps located in thfi middle
of the front of the building. One of the first teachers was Michael J.
Hafner and the school board consisted of John Dayle, Sam Couillard and
Bob Murray. The people were interested in education and as a result the
school year was always nine months in length. Of course, it wasn't
unusual to hear a person mention the raising of only $250 to run the
school for the year and also pay the teacher.
In about 1935 the school was remodeled. A basement was put under the
building and you entered the school at ground level on the southeast
corner. The school's appearance has remained the same, but many modern
conveniences have taken the place of the old appliances.
In 1951 an oil burning furnace replaced the old jacket-type stove.
Indoor washrooms and toilets were installed and the inside was
beautifully painted in a pastel green shade with dark brown bulletin
boards. The school was insulated and aluminum storm windows helped to
stop the wind from sweeping through the building. An adequate library
is becoming a reality because the district supplements the
amount paid by the state for books with an extra $25.00 a
During the post year the outside of the school was repainted. It is
white with a red brick foundation. The aluminum colored roof completes
the external redecorating.
The school was once used for card parties, 4-H meetings, and other
gatherings, but now a Community Hall located directly across from the
school serves the purpose. Even the school itself uses the hall for its
community affairs. The hall has a stage and draw drape making it
convenient for programs. There are cooking facilities for parties. The
school has the privilege of using the hall without charge.
For the past three years Mrs. Janice Janssen has taught the school,
which is located about 7 miles west of Oconto on County Trunk J. The
present school board consists of Mrs. Helen Janssen, clerk; Mr. Ralph
Crawford, treasurer; and Mr. Arthur Matravers.
TO THE OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS HOME PAGE
TO THE OCONTO
COUNTY HOME PAGE