Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links
to this site.

HISTORIC OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS
Elm Lawn School
5301 Elm Lawn Rd.
Town of Oconto Falls
Oconto County, Wisconsin

built 1921


(Private Residence)

2004
contributed by: Richard Labrosse

The garage on the right has been added along with the little steel building on the left. Where that little steel building is,  the two outhouses stood. Other than that, the building is exactly the same with the exception of the paint. It is a brick building. Town of Oconto Falls, County of Oconto


Photo by Tom Rymer
Times Herald Page 
9 December 1977


This is the 14th in a series of articles sponsored by the Oconto County Teachers Association to promote better public relations in the schools of our county. 

The articles were  found in the scrap book of his late mother.

Article contributed by:
Larry Grady

(transcribed from the 1953 and 1954 articles)

Miss Eva Waldron was the first teacher of the school system and classes were held in a basement block store in the year of 1920. Her wages were $90.00.

The acre of ground, the site of the present school was purchased from William Volk Sr. in 1920 and was located on route 3 Oconto Falls. In the 1921 the new brick building was completed and the first teacher was Miss Genevieve Bushman, with Moses Cox as substitute. Miss Ellen B. MacDonald was the county superintendent. The school board consisted of Albert Gillis, Clerk; Paul Wudke, treasurer, and R.T. Volk director. Their salaries were $15, $10 and $10 respectively.

The children voted on the name of Elm Lawn because of the large number of elm trees on the lawn. Only two remain now.

A road was built through the woods owned by Jersey Crest Farms and William Volk Sr. was carried from the nearby Jelinski farm until 1922, when the first well was drilled. Later two more wells wee drilled and in 1939 water was piped into the school house, and electric lights were installed. Other improvements through the years were the donation of a hot plate from the Mother’s Club (the former P.T.A.) organized in 1945 and renamed in 1947, the purchase of a radio in 1951-1952 by the children with proceeds from a Christmas program and the sale of Christmas cards, and the installation of an oil furnace in 1952.

Three pupils were graduated from the eighth grade that first year and commencement exercises were held at Oconto Falls high school for the entire county.

Mrs. Edith Tracey is the 18th and present teacher, and she was preceded by Miss Waldron, Miss Bushman, Gertrude Campbell (2 terms), Fairburn Flowers (1 term), Mrs. Edward Wranosky (1 Term), Beatrice Renel (3 terms), Anna Marie Schultiese (4 terms), Mrs. Alma Rasmussen (1/2 year), Mrs. Leona Ericson (1/2 year), Edward Langhoff (1 term), Marie Francis (1 term), Helen Daft (4 terms), Alvira Ankerson (1 term), Norma Erickson (1 term), Mrs. Myrtle Volk (2 terms), Mrs. Beatrice Heimke (3 terms), and Jeanne Moede (1 term).




BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS HOME PAGE

BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY HOME PAGE