County WIGenWeb Project
and posted byOconto
County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links to this site.
of Maple Valley
Frostville school that was built in 1904 of local
clay bricks. The addition in the rear of the photo was from 1917.
"A. C. Frost
standing on stump in front
of newly completed schoolhouse, probably
Frostville, Wisc., early 1880's" Chris
by Larry Grady
(transcribed from the vintage news article below)
Make Educational Progress Changes
This is the fifteenth in a
series of articles sponsored by the
Oconto County Teachers Association to promote better public relations
in the schools of our county.
District was formed in October,
1875. It was called District Number 3 of the Town of Maple Valley. John
Ericsson was elected clerk. Christian Johnson, treasurer, and A. O.
Monseth, director. M. M. Comstock was County Superintendent at that
time. Miss Emma Taylor was hired as the first teacher for $26.00 a
month. School was to
be held in John Ericsson's home, commencing on the 19th day of April
and continuing for five months.
In October 1876, at the annual school meeting
the voters made plans for
a log school house to be built for $250.00 or less. On March 13, 1877,
this district was turned over to the Town of Gillett and was made
District Number 6 of the Town of Gillett. The school house was built by
the men in the district in 1878. It was built on the same ground that
the school now stands on, at the corner of M and Z. In 1879, the
district was turned back to the Town of Maple Valley.
It was in this school that Miss Ellen B. McDonald, our former County
Superintendent, went to school when she was a child. She later also
taught this school before becoming County Superintendent.
In 1904, the voters decided to build a new school. It was to be brick
and was constructed by John Hougaard, who lived in the district. It is
still in use today (1954) and is
the Primary Room. This school became crowded and in 1917, they decided
to build another room. This also was constructed of brick, with a
basement where a furnace was installed. Savalia Thielke was hired as
the first primary teacher and Gladyce McKinney was the principal of the
Frostville State Graded School.
As we were unable to find any records between the first clerk's books
and the ones kept from 1918 on; we had to contact old settlers of the
district. Our thanks goes to Thomas Hougaard for the date of the first
brick school and William Benz, who was clerk at the time the second
room was built.
In 1940, District Number 7 of the Town of Maple Valley was consolidated
with the Frostville District. At the Annual Meeting held in 1941, it
was voted to transport the children living two miles or more. A used
bus was bought in August, 1941. The bus also picked up the first and
second graders. Henry Barry was the first bus driver. He drove the bus
until May, 1944. Since then Al. Zemke has driven the bus. A new bus was
bought in January, 1947. Since that time all children in the district
have been transported.
The Hot Lunch Project was started in September, 1939. Steve Stix was
clerk at this time. Mrs. Henry Barry was the first cook. She received
commodities through the Welfare Department at Oconto. Her salary was
also paid by them. She cooked on an oil stove. Today we have a modern
kitchen with a two compartment sink, gas stove, hot and cold water and
Since the school was built considerable improvements have been made.
The school was wired for electricity in 1931. A new furnace and stoker
was installed in 1947. A well drilled in 1951, and water piped into the
school. In 1952, rest rooms were added and a hot water heater. Also
drinking fountains in each room. The basement was remodeled at this
time to provide a supply store room and a surplus commodity room. Eight
new seats were added in 1952 in the primary room and eight new ones in
the upper room this year. A filmstrip machine and a motion picture
projector were also bought.
Our teachers at present are Mrs. Esther Pasterski, Principal and Mrs.
Margaret Zuehlke, primary teacher, who have been with us for six years.
The present school board members are Edwin Johnson, clerk; Alvin
Schmclling, treasurer and Al Ruege, Director.
We have a Community Club which is very interested in our school. They
have bought many things for the school. Last year they bought a movie
projector and screen. Mrs. Austin Makholm is president of the Community