Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links to this site.

Oconto County, Wisconsin

GILLETT SCHOOLS

PLEASE CLICK ON THE PHOTO FOR A LARGER VIEW

Gillett Graduation - 1907

This eighth grade class graduated in Gillett in 1907. In the back row, from left, is Truman John, Ralph Brahmer, Mr. Schwartz and Elmer John; front row Minnie Brummer, Guy Gale, Emerald Welch, Martin Pipenberg and Beatrice Brummer. Photo courtesy of Galen Winter, Shawano.
Researched and contributed by Cathe Ziereis
Gillett Graded School - 1908

The entire student body and faculty of Gillett Graded School pose in front of the school building. 
Photo courtesy of Galen Winter, Shawano.
Researched and contributed by Cathe Ziereis

2nd School built in 1884
later became a blacksmith shop

First Schoolhouse - Gillett 

The first school in Gillett, located on the corner of North Elm and W. Main was literally a  "little red schoolhouse."  Built in 1865, it was more than a  school, it was a community center. On Sundays, whenever a circuit preacher came through, church services were held in the school.

The first town elections in  1868 were held in the schoolhouse. It was  the site of many gatherings, usually attended by everyone in the community. This little red building served  the community in its many capacities until 1884  -  when a larger schoolhouse  was built on South Elm. The little red schoolhouse was moved up near the new school and became the Emile Thibaudeau Blacksmith Shop and later a woodshed. 


contributed by: Marilyn Freitag

"After living in Clintonville for a year and eight months Emil and Minnie Leaps Thibaudeau bought two acres of land in the little city of Gillett, Wisconsin in Oconto County. They built a frame house, then moved an abandoned school house to the land. The first floor was used as a blacksmith shop. In 1905 the roof of the school was raised to provide a paint and storage shop for wagons and sleighs. The bell tower of the school was removed and made into a 'playhouse' for the children: Della, Gordon, and Raymond." https://www.uwgb.edu/wisfrench/family/history/Thibeaud.htm

 

The new Gillett High School 

 

Photo contributed by: Marilyn Freitag

1948 Gillett Graded School first grade students:


front to back starting at left 


Row 1: Delores Linzemeyer, Nancy Ellis, Carol Rusch, Dennis Cota, Soren Sorlie, Lyle Wetzel


Row 2: Marilyn Freitag, Shirley Kirkhoff, Carol Klawitter, Patsy Wilson, Curtis Runge


Row 3: ? Erickson, Carol Krause, Diane Kohn, Edwin Winkler, Janet Gordon, Maryellen Smith

Row 4: Peter ?, Marcia Muth, Gary Olson, Harold Wilson, Wayne Kruschke

Row 5: Barbara Van Hoof, Nanette Nienstedt, ? from Holland, Dennis O'Connor, Lizette Tollner ? from Holland

Teacher is Mrs. Gallagher from Oconto Falls

1909 Gillett High School

1930s Gillett High School

1984 Gillett High School with additions

BACK TO THE\HISTORIC OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS PHOTO PAGE


BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY HOME PAGE